• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Solar Eclipse 2017 Discussion Thread

Mothertucker

Sweep Dodger
Skier
So, out of everyone who will be in the totality zone, what percentage will be buck nekkid doin' it??
Thanks, that's a good idea, and by pure chance, I'll be right in the wheelhouse of totality.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

TonyC

Contact me at bestsnow.net
Pass Pulled
No, I wouldn't risk losing my job to go... or risk house payments to go, or risk kids college savings to go.. .....
That's not the premise here at all, has nothing to do with any threat to one's job or finances. The premise is that you want to go and your spouse who isn't interested in football wants you to stay home and mow the lawn, watch the kids instead of using the free Super Bowl tickets.
I would think people on this forum who have significant others who are less enthusiastic about skiing would understand this point all too well.
I would say this comment was right on point because less than a day before I posted this comment, here's what Phil said in another thread.
I would bet the majority of the people who clicked on <$2,500 are either lying to them selves or they have a significant other that monitors the site.

I see an audience here of 4 broad groups.
1) Those who don't care, aren't interested. That's fine, no need to follow this thread or do anything on Aug. 21.
2) Those who have work/family commitments, can't take vacation time, etc. That to me is unfortunate but I understand it's too late to change. What's also unfortunate is that the media is really ramping up now but where were they at the beginning of the year when people make their summer plans? I'll shoulder some blame here. I should have started a thread on this a year ago when I was making the Jackson arrangements.
3) Those who think a 90% eclipse is 90% of the experience. This is understandable; I thought that way myself when I was in NYC for 93% in 1984, though it was a moot point because it deluged rain the entire day. HOWEVER, I debunked this common misconception in detail twice in this thread already and posted links to those who can explain it far better than I. Then I see this:
Jeez I'm like the entire state of Wyoming away from the black line and according to that simulation it will just be a thin sliver of sun showing at the bottom here in Denver. I see no need to go anywhere to see it.
Jeez, 93% in Denver is 1/28,000 of totality! Do people bother to READ a thread before they make a post like that????? As for Phil and Trish's Miata drive, I'm sure it will be fun but it has nothing to do with the eclipse if it stops short of totality. You might as well drive south along the eastern Sierra as north. The 80% eclipse in Mammoth is basically the same experience as the 86% in Reno or the 91% in say, Mt. Shasta. The Mammoth drive will probably have less traffic, more temperate weather, and in 2017 you could even do some patch skiing!
4) These are the people I'm trying to convince most. They could arrange the time with a bit of effort even though it's short notice, not sure whether the traffic hassles are worth it. Since there has been no total solar eclipse in the continental US since 1979, well under 1% of the US population has seen one, and Liz and I are probably the only such people on PugSki. People on a ski forum are by nature not couch potatoes, tend to be more curious and adventurous than the average Joe. We also endure getting up pre-dawn for lengthy drives, often with traffic and weather hassles, for the reward of skiing. You should take our word for it that this is worth a similar effort.

Last edited:

RachelV

I run TheSkiDiva.com and work at OpenSnow.
Ski Diva Tester
Tony I think If you'd come out of the gate with a post like that instead of calling people colossally stupid & lousy spouses you'd have a lot more people considering your points. ;) I'm glad to hear how awesome the total eclipse experience is.

We're doing... something. Have a few dispersed camping spots in mind in NE Colorado and southern Wyoming and are probably going to camp Sunday night and drive the last hour north very early on Monday. It's driving home on Monday that I'm worried about as far as traffic goes.

Chris Walker

Ullr Is Lord
Skier
Jeez, 93% in Denver is 1/28,000 of totality! Do people bother to READ a thread before they make a post like that?????

Yes. I read it. I didn't agree that it made that much of a difference in my life. I think the eclipse I'll see is just fine for me. Have a nice time at the total eclipse.

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
In other news, there will be another total eclipse in Syracuse in just 7 years, but probably no one will notice.

dm

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I have seen a total eclipse. It's very cool but didn't change my life. If you don't want to see it, fine.

But a lot of people here are within range and in tune with what goes on outdoors. This is a perfect match for that thinking.

Not too many start up to Tahoe on a big powder day and are satisfied with a crab sandwich at Ikeda's (which are awesome) instead. Partial eclipses are interesting but a long ways from a total. And the partial from Reno, Sacramento, Denver or Salt Lake is the same as from just outside totality.

I'm worried about things like traffic and parking preventing me from getting into the total zone. Sometimes I don't get untracked on a powder day. But I'll try for both. Good rewards.

Certainly don't keep a spouse, friend or especially a kid from seeing it. Put up with a bit of PITA for them. You might be moved yourself.

This is a rare and special event.

Eric

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
have to admit I was not overly interested, seen a few partials, for that I would rather have spent the time sailing.

very glad one of my buddies was stoked enough we are taking the effort to get to totality.
traffic probably will be a nightmare - hotels have gouged enough already - weather may or may not cooperate.
sounds like a typical winter weekend except it could be a once in a lifetime opportunity.

enjoy the annual meteor show over next few days

TonyC

Pass Pulled
have to admit I was not overly interested, seen a few partials, for that I would rather have spent the time sailing.
Yes, partials are not a big deal. Worth pulling out your eclipse safety glasses if you have them and looking for a minute here and there. Not worth travel or expense of any kind.
I think the eclipse I'll see is just fine for me.
Which can be translated as being in the the first group I mentioned, those who don't care. Which is fine, to each his own. But please don't try to pass this off as being sufficient for people who might care, even a little bit.
eclipseNuts334.jpg

The Great Division After August 21st America will be divided by those that saw it and those that did not. Do not forget the kids. They might want to see it. I did when I was a kid but went to an indoor swim meet instead (outside the totality path).

(c) Eclipse Nuts Cartoon by Bill Kramer. Uploaded Fri, 11 Aug 17 08:43:09 -0400

Last edited:

TonyC

Pass Pulled
Tony I think If you'd come out of the gate with a post like that instead of calling people colossally stupid & lousy spouses you'd have a lot more people considering your points. ;) I'm glad to hear how awesome the total eclipse experience is.
One of the reasons I like these forums is that you do get feedback and get a chance to think about making your points more effectively.

In terms of personal annoyance, every veteran eclipse chaser hears hundreds of times from friends/acquaintances who have seen some 70% partial (or 90+% for those in the Northeast in March 1970) and how it was no big deal. We understand that and try to explain why that's a misconception.

The spouse comment struck a nerve, because I have a long term (and also retired) ski acquaintance who seemed all set to go camping in Idaho or Wyoming, then got pushback from his wife. I still don't know whether he/they will go or not.

Chris Walker

Ullr Is Lord
Skier
I was only ever in group 1. I really have not and would not try to convince others that their eclipse viewing priorities are wrong. I said I didn't see the point in traveling to eliminate the thin sliver of sun still remaining. Personally, for myself, that's it.

I'm about done with this. I'm sorry my opinion about how much sun being blocked counts as interesting and to what degree offended you so. At the end of the day, it's a freaking shadow. Not something to get so worked up about.

It's a moot point anyway, as I just remembered I have to fly to San Antonio that day.

TonyC

Pass Pulled
It's a moot point anyway, as I just remembered I have to fly to San Antonio that day.
You might want to fly to San Antonio on April 8, 2024. ogwink

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Yes, partials are not a big deal. Worth pulling out your eclipse safety glasses if you have them and looking for a minute here and there. Not worth travel or expense of any kind.

Which can be translated as being in the the first group I mentioned, those who don't care. Which is fine, to each his own. But please don't try to pass this off as being sufficient for people who might care, even a little bit.
eclipseNuts334.jpg

The Great Division After August 21st America will be divided by those that saw it and those that did not. Do not forget the kids. They might want to see it. I did when I was a kid but went to an indoor swim meet instead (outside the totality path).

(c) Eclipse Nuts Cartoon by Bill Kramer. Uploaded Fri, 11 Aug 17 08:43:09 -0400

Uh OH! Bad news. NASA's eclipse maps are wrong. Apparently the line of totality is not 70 miles wide but only 69 miles wide. So many people are going to miss out on the "totality" without even realizing it..:roflmao:

Those maps of eclipse’s path? ‘Wrong,’ experts say — off by up to a half-mile at edge

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/news/local/article166394247.html#storylink=cpy

TonyC

Pass Pulled
That is an interesting article. Xavier Jubier's maps already have a correction for the irregular lunar limb profile. Maximum totality is actually a couple of seconds shorter on geographic centerline (Granite Canyon at JH for example) than a couple of miles south (top of the JH tram where we plan to be viewing).

Altitude can be a more serious issue near the edges. At our latitudes in the USA the sun is always angled to the south. Thus at altitude the 2017 eclipse limits will be displaced to the south a similar distance as the altitude of the location. This may not mean much in KC but in the Mountain West it can be a mile or more. Anthony Lakes Ski Area is near that northern limit and shows as being just inside totality on a sea level based map while in reality it's over a mile outside totality. Xavier's map does not adjust the limit lines for altitude but if you click on the location at the top of the Anthony Lakes chairlift, you'll see that sun obscuration is less than 1: http://xjubier.free.fr/en/site_page...3&Lng=-118.24461&Elv=2415.2&Zoom=15&LC=1&EP=1 Anthony Lakes (normally closed Mondays) planned to sell tickets for an eclipse viewing event at the top of that chair. Several of us called or sent e-mails explaining the problem, so they cancelled the event.

I did not know there was a scientific dispute about the diameter of the sun.

A minority of eclipse viewers prefer to view near the edge rather than at the center. They get about 1/3 as much totality but prolong edge phenomena like the the chromosphere, diamond ring and Baily's Beads. "Viewing at the edge" does not mean cutting it close enough to be tripped up by the nuances of that article. It means being maybe 10% of the path width inside the edge shown on maps.

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I remember reading about the eclipse last year at this time and thought, "I should make some plans... that would be a great trip." But then I didn't. Now it would be 13 hr one way turnaround trip. Going to plan on 2024- some friends just moved to TX ;)

at_nyc

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
I guess I'm mostly in group I.

I'm not that interested in the first place. Though with this thing being so "rare", and so close (1 day drive). I gave it some passing thought from time to time. ( and that explains why I'm looking at this thread)

But I used to work with someone who chases eclipse. Based on his experience, the chance of weather foiling the actual totality is considerable. Especially for the east coast, where we have this thing called CLOUD.

So I'm firmly in group III. If the weather looks promising, I'll look up at the appointed time ( we have HOURS of partial). But won't be driving anywhere far away.

I may get more motivated in 2024, at which point I'll be retired and have more freedom in arranging my schedule.

Snowfan

aka Eric Nelson
Skier
North Platte, NE. is only 7 hours away. I think I'll pull our niece (11) out of school and take she and my wife for a drive. That's on the 22nd, right?

Snowfan

aka Eric Nelson
Skier
:roflmao: Yeah, I was just messin' around.

I figure if there is cloudcover I can run N, S, or E on farm roads to find clear sky.