• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Solar Eclipse 2017 Discussion Thread

Snowfan

aka Eric Nelson
Skier
For me, one of the most interesting things about the eclipse, is the stoke...13 pages on a SKI forum!!! Who knows what else is going on in other forums! The traffic was calm and orderly, the gathered shouted with joy when totality began...there was no hurry to leave and nobody sped by me on their way home. I have never seen a cooler bunch of this size. I IMPLORE YOU, GET TO THE 2024 ECLIPSE TOTALITY PATH. :golfclap::yahoo::drool:

at_nyc

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
Well, there are times when Vermont and Maine have different weather. Not sure you can do much about that, though, since by the time you know you probably won't be able to get a place to stay. Maybe just choose whichever has the longer totality.
But you don't have to stay exactly where you want to see the eclipse. You can drive from one to the other in the morning of.

A more central location to stay would actually be better than committing to a specific mountain.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
But you don't have to stay exactly where you want to see the eclipse. You can drive from one to the other in the morning of.

A more central location to stay would actually be better than committing to a specific mountain.

Oh... Good point.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
For me, one of the most interesting things about the eclipse, is the stoke...13 pages on a SKI forum!!! Who knows what else is going on in other forums! The traffic was calm and orderly, the gathered shouted with joy when totality began...there was no hurry to leave and nobody sped by me on their way home. I have never seen a cooler bunch of this size. I IMPLORE YOU, GET TO THE 2024 ECLIPSE TOTALITY PATH. :golfclap::yahoo::drool:
Lets stock up on :toast

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The rest of US maybe. In New York, it only stopped for 20 minutes.
Good grief! Do you have to rain on every positive comment I make about this?
Talk about April Showers.....:doh:

VickieH

Contrarian
Skier
An opportunity to recycle your eclipse glasses ....

Screenshot_2017-08-24-19-16-42.png

TonyC

Contact me at bestsnow.net
Pass Pulled
Lets stock up on :toast
We did. I brought a case of my finest wine and 18 bottles of champagne on this trip. With all the commotion we only used half the wine and 3 bottles of champagne in Jackson. But we are in Yellowstone with friends for 4 days. That will take care of the rest of the wine and 3 more champagne bottles so far.

We will make the same stops in SLC and Vegas on the way home for more celebrations.

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
We camped Sun night in the totality zone just north of Mitchell OR. Eclipse was amasing and well worth it !:golfclap:
Clear sky. Seemed over too quickly. Total for 2min 4 sec.
I saw one previous total eclipse in 60's or 70's Stroudsburg or NY Finger lakes area ?

Traffic was manageable. Coming home took back roads and US 395 thru Susanville. Little traffic.

Last edited:

TonyC

Pass Pulled
I saw one previous total eclipse in 60's or 70's Stroudsburg or NY Finger lakes area ?
Sorry that was a partial. Prior total eclipses in Continental US:
7/20/1963: Crossed Alaska and Canada, dipped into Maine near the end, entered the Atlantic in Acadia NP.
3/7/1970: Entered US in the Florida Panhandle, crossed Georgia and Carolinas into the Atlantic at the Delmarva peninsula. Also touched land on Nantucket Island and Nova Scotia.
2/26/1979: Hit the Pacific Coast at Portland, OR, curved NE through Washington, Idaho and Montana into Canada. Passed over WInnipeg, then up into the Arctic.

FYI the Carly Simon "You're So Vain" eclipse was 7/10/1972, entirely in the Arctic and Canada, exited North America in Nova Scotia.

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
Wow @TonyC where are these stats ? I'm reasonably sure it was total. I was a kid at parents conference.

Maybe mid to late 50's. Any east coast eclipses then ?

The Carly Simon song registered when a college professor in our neighborhood sold his house
in the 1980's (too late) and moved to Nova Scotia !

TonyC

Pass Pulled
Totals in the Continental US are rare in the modern era. The list is short and I posted it above since 1960.

There was one in October 1959 that began at dawn over Boston, then crossed the Atlantic to North Africa. No one in the US saw that one except from an aircraft above Boston where it was cloudy.

June 30, 1954 dawned over Minneapolis, went NE though Canada and the Arctic into Scandinavia.

Lots of people in the US think they saw totals before last Monday, but the reality is that very few of them did.

Mikey

Getting on the lift
Skier

Sponsor

Staff online