• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Snowboarding?

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I remember one of my uglier falls at Mammoth. Got lazy and was flat on my board, caught my front edge and was pile driven into the snow. Somehow I didn't break anything. Complete and utter user error on my part. That was the last time I ever let myself get caught off guard, always on an edge there on out.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Nowadays, it seems like snowboarding is more for beginners & flatlanders... :duck:

I snowboarded semi-seriously for about 10yrs., from the early 90's till about 2002. During that time there were certainly some advantages in heavy, deep sierra cement type snow over the skinny straight skis of the time. A pure edge-locked carved turn was also an easier sensation to achieve compared to that eras skis.

Once shaped skis began catching on, my snowboarding days were all but over. I did still try to get out at least a couple times each Spring just to make sure I could still do it but after a shoulder injury in 2011, I stopped for a few years.

I did get out for a few hours toward the end of the past 2 seasons but compared to skiing it is just a diversion :doh:.
JF SB PM.jpg

Take it from me, skiing is way, way better!

Last edited:
TS
tinymoose

tinymoose

Getting off the lift
Skier
I will say, as someone who has boot and flex issues and is in boots a size too small, snowboard boots felt like ruby red slippers to my feet.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I will say, as someone who has boot and flex issues and is in boots a size too small, snowboard boots felt like ruby red slippers to my feet.
I'm going out on a limb making some assumptions here but... Having had a Scaphoid fracture I'm not sure which is worse, that or turning to snowboarding due to being pigeonholed into boots which are too small and possibly ending up with hammer toe etc.:eek:, ok I'm gonna go with the fracture. However, you've come to the right place for ideas about those ski boot issues. As the gear evolves, there's always going to be a better boot option to try next:)

Last edited:

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
There is a bit of truth here that snowboard growth is flat while skiing is actually increasing again.

Without looking at statistics, I've felt the same thing for a awhile now. It seems like the mountain kids ski, while the city kids may still try snowboarding. I know in my last few years teaching I had a few long time snowboarders convert to skiing.

Whether I'm in soft or hard Snowboard boots, neither are any easier on my feet. I will admit they are easier for walking from the parking lot.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Whether I'm in soft or hard Snowboard boots, neither are any easier on my feet. I will admit they are easier for walking from the parking lot.

Truth. Snowboard boots pack out even faster than ski liners and you just develop different niggles.

As for snowboard uptake it seems to me it still captures a fair slice of adult learners particularly urbanites but they then get left in no man's land when they have kids.

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Loved it in the deep pow. Then I moved back East, gave away the board and gear and went back on skis. Like someone earlier said........ Tele anyone?

PisteOff

Jeff
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My son tried to make the switch from skis to snowboarding. He bugged me for awhile and I took him for a beginner lesson. Watched him crash a lot. He still wanted to do it. So following a really good report card I bought him the Rossi trick stick and some flow bindings and boots. I bought him good stuff. He got another lesson. Then he got a couple concussions and a bruised tailbone. I bought him an expensive MIPS helmet. So at the beginning of last season I picked up a pair of Rossi E-80's for him at a great price. He didn't know I had them. Anyway, we went to the local hill and I went up with him to coach him. I immediately got him onto steeper terrain so he could get some speed. Speed is definitely your friend on a board. Got him carving some turns. Then he bit the dust again hard. I skied over to him and he looks up and says, "Dad, I've had enough." "You want to ski?" I asked him. ":Yea, but all my gear is at home I don't want you to have to rent skis," he said. I told him to take his gear to the trunk and meet me on the deck. He walked up to the deck with a pair of new skis in hand and a big smile on his face. We ended up having a great day. He was happy. The 80's were perfect for him and I had him carving some good turns in no time. And I was happy. I had my ski buddy back. He had returned from the dark side.......:cool:

BoofHead

Getting on the lift
Skier
I credit snowboards for allowing me to ski as much as I do.
Wife destroyed her knee skiing 12 years ago and said she would never ski again. She had a go at snowboarding and liked it. Regular international ski trips would be a hard sell if we both didn’t slide in some way, shape or form.
Myself and kids have had a go. Fun but limiting compared to skis, particularly in low angle, deep pow ie Japan.
Wife does insist on only sliding at places with good snow. First world problem which Im happy find solutions for.

Sponsor

Staff online