• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Snowboarding?

tinymoose

Getting off the lift
Skier
How many folks here have successfully learned how to snowboard? I tried this past winter at JFBB but ended up with a hairline, partial fracture in my left wrist on Day 1. For those who have tried to transition, does terrain based learning make that much of a difference as far as learning experience (fewer bad falls)???? I'm not looking to take up snowboarding 100% of the time, but think it would be a good skill to learn. And I'm curious....I enjoyed the simplicity of just me and the board, and snowboard boots are sooo much more comfy.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I boarded for 8 years before transitioning to skiing. I'm sorry about your injuries. I have recently been missing it so I bought a board and plan to do both this season. I feel the learning curve is much steeper on a snowboard. I was never so sore in my entire life that first day. I learned in Big Bear, California. After a few times i was linking my turns. I am not naturally athletic so it was very frustrating for me but bear mountain had an excellent school so i loved how they structured the lessons. I remember learning like it was yesterday. Safe to ride back edge. Switching to my toe edge was utterly terrifying. Once you get it you really get it and its sooooo fun. Bad falls happen but TBL makes learning easier. I have had my share of bad falls but it was usually human error :)

I learned before TBL was a thing but i know its fabulous for skiing so i think it would be great for boarding too. . . Hopefully you will give it another shot.

Last edited:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
How many folks here have successfully learned how to snowboard? I tried this past winter at JFBB but ended up with a hairline, partial fracture in my left wrist on Day 1. For those who have tried to transition, does terrain based learning make that much of a difference as far as learning experience (fewer bad falls)???? I'm not looking to take up snowboarding 100% of the time, but think it would be a good skill to learn. And I'm curious....I enjoyed the simplicity of just me and the board, and snowboard boots are sooo much more comfy.
The first place I snowboarded was Jack Frost..it quickly reminded me how steep a beginner trail was. That was 1990 or so. I have been on a board maybe 4 times since with a slight mishap after the third day (broken ankle..and surgery). The 4th and last time was just to confirm that I prefer skiing.
Day 2, Smugglers Notch (note the Flexon's in plate bindings):
sc0001fac0.jpg

Day 4, actually a board under my feet here, Big Mountain Mt:
fullsizeoutput_add.jpeg

1chris5

Getting off the lift
Skier
The key to my ongoing snowboarding learning is protection. Purchase a solid pair of wrist guards and knee pads made for snowboarding and a helmet. I was careful in my purchase of wristguards that were not too thick. I even bought mittens that can fit over them. Purchasing the protection was the best thing I ever did. Falls are mostly no big deal now. I ski at Blue Mtn so I completely understand your pain. Pocono conditions suck for beginner snowboarders. I am at an advanced age and injuries do not heal very quickly. I have been snowboarding for about 3 years and only really got it last year. I have 2 smaller kids and take them snowboarding for about 2 hours each ski day and then we ski the rest of the day. This is not an ideal way to learn, but it worked for me, eventually. I don't know what TBL is but I focus on riding my edges just like in skiing. I am a very fast skier but am not comfortable snowboarding fast. I have taught myself to crank turns from edge to edge and can board almost any steepness and iciness at the speed of my choosing. I especially like the knee pads for controlled falls and for rest. If you are ever at Blue on Weekdays, PM me and maybe we can meet up for a few turns. Cheers.

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
I took a lesson as part of a CSIA ladies day. I would call the learning curve painful. I am not a person that can get up from a sitting position so every time I fell it was roll to the knees to get up. As 1chris5 says protection is important. I used my wrist guards from inline skating. Wished I'd had knee pads. Getting the weight on the front of the board was easy as that is the same as windsurfing. I really can appreciate watching a good snowboarder from that lesson.

But like Phil - I decided that 2 planks were better.

1chris5

Getting off the lift
Skier
Terrain Based Learning is very interesting. Do they have that program at JFBB? I know Blue, at least last year, had some of these features at the base lodge area, including a small banked turn section next to the tubing park. I did not know the name for it, but in thinking how I would teach beginners, TBL is my basic vision as described in this vid:
https://www.skiandsnowboardmonth.or...ting-started/terrain-based-learning-explained

Last edited by a moderator:

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I switched to snowboarding when I was 12 (and didn't pick up skis for the next 12 years). So as for terrain based learning, I've never done it. However, I've heard really good things about it. IIRC, TheSkiDiva tried it at Killington, and had a pretty informative write up on it.

I'll echo that protection is important to having a good time if you're falling a decent amount. Along with wrist guards, I'd recommend a set of padded shorts with a bit of tailbone protection (I know Burton makes some really nice ones, not sure who else does).

Other tips...

Just like skiing, get references for good instructors, and try to stick with the ones that work for you.

When you have a good instructor, ask for tips on setting up your board regarding the width of your stance and the angles of you bindings. I've seen a lot of people's skills be hindered by the board set up. If you're renting...remember these angles and your stance width so your board can be set up the same way every time.

I know it's hard to remember spur of the moment, but make a fist when you you fall, it will prevent your wrist from bending into unnatural positions.

Even though it's been awhile since I learned, I recall it being very physically demanding to muscles you wouldn't expect it to (mainly shoulders). Anything you can do to strengthen your upper body will make it more enjoyable, think push-ups.

Lastly, since you're on the east coast...on the really firm days...don't think twice, take the skis out instead.

Tico

Putting on skis
Skier
I started splitboarding a few years ago since I was working with so many splitty folks. The learning curve is quite steep and then flattens, very different than skiing. I think a snowboard is just as or more fun than skis in a resort (especially if you like the park), makes crusts trivial, but is an inferior tool for traveling in the hills. Also they make me feel young, and then very, very old.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I didn't used to wear wrist guards but I absolutely do now. I remember that first day I was so sore I had a hard time brushing my hair next day as it hurt ti lift my arms above my head (result of fall down, get up, fall down, get up all day long).

I used TBL a lot when I'm working at my mountain with my skiing students. I know the snowboard instructors love TBL as well. I sometimes wish TBL was around when I learned to board. However, Big Bear had such a great breakdown of all the fundamentals so for me that worked perfectly.

The best advice someone gave me was always be on an edge because if you aren't on an edge you'll catch an edge and it will likely catch you off guard and there's great potential to be pile driven into the ground.

I've never done both during the season so in trying to balance them both @elemmac has given me some great advice as to when to bring the double planks out or to board for the day.

I remember on ground 360s on a snowboard was hella fun!!

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I am a long-time skier and I learned to board a while back. You fall a lot and hard, without any warning when learning. I have seen beginners wearing lots of protective gear and that should save them a lot of bruises!

I did a lot of learning on a gentle golf course sledding hill - you certainly don't need an entire mountain. The advice abut alwasy staying on edge is good. Riding a flat board is something I am still afraid to do...especially when going fast.

I board about 1 day a season just to make sure I can still do it, but have always been and always will be a skier.

1chris5

Getting off the lift
Skier
I started splitboarding a few years ago since I was working with so many splitty folks. The learning curve is quite steep and then flattens, very different than skiing. I think a snowboard is just as or more fun than skis in a resort (especially if you like the park), makes crusts trivial, but is an inferior tool for traveling in the hills. Also they make me feel young, and then very, very old.
Yeah, I don't like snowboarding nearly as much as skiing but it keeps me interested; don't like the park very much, although I do want to try a 360 on a snowboard once. I homeschool, so I like the kids learning the various skills for skiing and snowboarding. I think it's great for the mind and body. I used to back country tele in Montana with snowboarders many moons ago. They would just pack snowshoes. They had no complaints. Cheers

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I sort-of learned to snowboard awhile back. Got up to being comfortable on wide blues. Then I tried to do it at least one day a season, but that fell by the wayside. It would probably require starting over at this point.

I did break my tailbone, but oddly that did not make me give it up. I did start stuffing one (or two!) of those kneeling pads they make for gardening in my pants, though.

Snowboarding also lead me to buy my first helmet.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier

Me too. Caught a heel side edge getting off a chairlift and smacked the back of my head on the ice hard lift ramp. Got my first helmet the next day.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Me too. Caught a heel side edge getting off a chairlift and smacked the back of my head on the ice hard lift ramp. Got my first helmet the next day.

One of my earlier times getting off a chairlift when I was learning to board had me facing the area straight on with my board instead of sideways (my own stupidity) and all I know is front edge caught, slammed down and although I was wearing a helmet I was grateful the chair lift operator was fast acting and stopped it right away. Total genius move on my part but grateful I was wearing a helmet.

1chris5

Getting off the lift
Skier
I sort-of learned to snowboard awhile back. Got up to being comfortable on wide blues. Then I tried to do it at least one day a season, but that fell by the wayside. It would probably require starting over at this point.

I did break my tailbone, but oddly that did not make me give it up. I did start stuffing one (or two!) of those kneeling pads they make for gardening in my pants, though.

Did anyone ever ask you, "Is that a garden kneeling pad in your pants or are you just glad to see me?"

Snowfan

aka Eric Nelson
Skier
Waiting for12" fresh, sunshine, and someone to show me how. I have skateboarded and surfed....piece of cake, right?

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Actually I'm guessing skateboarding helps a lot. I never learned that.

Sponsor