• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Big_Al

Booting up
Skier
To spend the winter / buy a pass

Snowbird:
2500 acres
500 inches average snowfall
3240 vertical
8,100 feet base area elevation
13 lifts serving 85 trails: 27 percent beginner, 38 percent intermediate, 35 percent advanced terrain

SnowBasin:
3,300 acres
400 inches average snowfall
2,959 vertical
6,391 feet base area elevation
11 lifts serving 104 trails: 20 percent beginner, 50 percent intermediate, 30 percent advanced terrain

Snowbird is probably the better ski are for advanced skiers. I've skied there 2 days and the place is awesome. (Lines for the lift out of Mineral Basin could get pretty long, though). However, my main concerns about it are: 1) driving traffic up Little Cottonwood Canyon, especially on powder days; and 2) so many advanced skiers there that it gets tracked out in a few hours.

Snow Basin is a bit off the radar given the lack of a base village and lodging but it was the site of the 2002 Winter Olympics ski races. I've never skied there but from what I've read it appears to be a legit advanced skiers mountain.

Any thoughts from people that have skied both?

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
You should get LOTS of feedback on this. I'm betting it's 70/30 Snowbird. But...it really depends on what you value. Snowbird is clearly a mountain with more advanced/high expert options. If you're intermediate, you may find it a bit imposing/limited -- although terrain will open up for you if you stay for an entire winter. I also personally don't like the bro-energy in the tram; it's way dialed down from Jackson Hole, but there is still a fair bit of local/tourist distinction. Driving the canyon can be limiting, although there are other options until the road is closed for sure. Snow Basin doesn't have quite the snow quality or quantity of Snowbird, and vision can get limited on cloudy days. But it has a lot less traffic. And... if you're a retro-guy like me, you can always visit Powder Mountain, which has even less traffic.

I'm advanced, low expert in the west, and I'm not even sure which I'd choose. At this point in my life, I might go for Snow Basin's lack of crowds. But it's a worthy question and worth hearing what others will say.

agreen

Getting on the lift
Skier
I'd go Snowbasin. Great terrain. Has a bit of everything except moguls. Was there on a weekend powder day and very small liftlines. 3 min max at the base. Was at Snowbird on a midweek powder. HUGE lines but still had a blast. Better terrain but way more competition.
Just so you know, there is gnar at Snowbasin if that's what your into. There are also plenty of very manageable steeps and trees.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
The Bird for Gnar, Snow Basin for fun.

Tony

tseeb
Skier
It also depends on how long you want your season to last. While Snowbasin powder days can be much less competitive than more crowded LCC areas and it has a greater variety for intermediates, Snowbasin's prime season is shorter and due to lower altitude and snowfall, and with more than 50% of the terrain facing E, you can have Spring conditions much earlier than LCC. This difference is especially true vs. Snowbird where a lot of the terrain is high, steep and N-facing and as a result will be Winter snow while many other UT areas are getting or already baked into Spring. Plus having S-facing Mineral King gives you a great option for Spring days. The longer season is also reflected in operating days where Snowbird nearly always makes it to Memorial Day and can be open weekend until 4th of July while AFAIK Snowbasin closes early to at best almost mid-April.

Bill Miles

Old Man Groomer Zoomer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
A few other things to consider:
Where will you be staying, or will you find a place nearby after you pick the area?
As mentioned above, Snowbird is better in Spring and late season, both for length of season and exposure.
Driving to snowbird can be an issue. Sometimes road is closed and/or backed up all the way down the Canyon. Will you have AWD or snows, preferrably both?
Both are MCP areas, meaning 50% tickets at other MCP areas with a full or premier season pass. In addition, Snowbasin includes five free Sun valley days, and the Snowbird full pass includes 2 days each at Alta, Deer Valley and Solitude, if bought early.
A combined Alta-Snowbird pass is available at considerable extra cost. You can ski back and forth on the mountain.
My favorite of the two for skiing is Snowbird, but they are close enough that other considerations could be the decider.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
If you are going to live in SLC Snowbird. How many years in your life can you winther there? Itis one of the best in North America,would have to do it.

This is from a guy who totally loves Snowbasin. If you know where to look it has the steeps to match pretty much anywhere. The lifts are better. The management is about as good as it gets. It is lower elevation, and they do not get the quantity or quality of snow that The Bird will. I could spend the rest of my life on this hill and be happy, but would have to visit LCC now and then.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Getting to Snowbasin on a weekend, let alone a weekend powder day, has become a real issue. The road doesn't close, but the hoards have found this gem of a mountain, and if you don't get up there by 8 a.m. on a Saturday or powder day, you will wait in traffic and wait to park.

That being said, there is plenty of fantastic terrain variety at Snowbasin.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
It all depends on who has the best snow on an given day. Storms can and do drop widely varying amounts at different hills in the region. Last few times I have been skiing in UT I was there during storm cycles and we mostly went where the snow was. Fish where the fish are and ski where the snow falls.

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
Snowbasin while some may say is not steep is surprising. Olympics Were held here! You can climb and do serious steep stuff. Over on Strawberry under the gondola they have tested speed and wax. While skiing w/a local exmainer/instructor he suggested we try duplicate the speed test. YIKES! I LOVE speed but I had to stand up and turn after 2 towers, was shocking how fast one could go on a trail that really doesn't look steep.. If you go to snowbasin it's worth a trip to Powder just up the road.

Snowbird I know it's steep. I've only taken a couple runs venturing over from Alta. Unfortunately I was almost taken out by a snowboarder in Mineral bowl! why this guy had to come clip my tails when there's a HUGE bowl and only 4 of us in it and I stay in my lane?? I didn't care for the vibe the days I've been there.. seems like people dropping the 'f' bomb, yelling at their kids, it is steep and out of control boarders skiers had me fleeing back to Alta..
I'll try it this winter and am hoping for a better experience.
You are correct LCC road does close when it snows up at Alta/Snowbird
Lodging is $$ up at Snowbird
Lodging is plentiful in Eden 15min drive to Snowbasin.

Photo of Snowbasin from Powder Mt 20140131_153624.jpg

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@Big_Al - two great places on your season pass radar, we should all be so lucky.

More important than the mountain stats above, IMO are the personal factors that you are looking for in a hill and how close you are living or staying from either. Your age and ability and terrain you most enjoy ?
Snowbasin is no joke and snowbird speaks for itself.
Personally, Snowbasin gets the nod here. As a 55yr old who can ski all the terrain at both mountains I start to look at the overall experience. The vibe, the lodging, the staff and the skiing public surrounding me not to mention the free cookies at SB !
Haven't been to deer valley in forever but I've never been to a place with nicer facilities than SB.
When looking for a water fountain last time at SB one of the staff replied, " let me get you a glass "

Perhaps Alta / Snowbasin would be a tie for me.
If I moved to Utah, I would live between SB and Powmow and day trip to Alta / Bird, no wait, perhaps the other way around :doh:

Kyle

Out on the slopes
Skier
There are positives and negatives to all mountains. The inherent advantage Snowbird has over Snowbasin is elevation and exposure which leads to more snow, better preservation, and a much longer season. Sometimes Snowbasin wins for any given storm but, over the course of the season, altitude and the box canyon geography is going to win. Most mountains get tracked up pretty quickly these days. Snowbird wins in having more, easily asscessible gnar but Snowbasin has a broader range of terrain options. The atmosphere is not as aggro at Snowbasin once you get to the mountain but the road and parking have grown into a headache as more people have “discovered” the place. Since you haven’t skied Snowbasin yet I would probably go Snowbird and sample Snowbasin via the Mountain Collective or other promotion unless you are going to live significantly closer to Snowbasin.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Apologies for my earlier reply, I read right by the to spend the winter/ buy a pass part of OP. Snowbird: there is more to explore and more to challenge and scare you and more snow and better chance of better conditions throughout the season.

TonyC

Contact me at bestsnow.net
Pass Pulled
tseeb and crank have it right. If you're there for a whole season, the quality season tends to be 5 months at Snowbird vs. 3 at Snowbasin. And over the course of a season the 50% extra snow at Snowbird also adds up to 50% more 6+ inch powder days. Sure if it dumps 1+ foot everywhere you'll have less competition at Snowbasin. But the reality is that there are a lot of days where you'll be making powder turns in LCC but bottoming out on the lesser amount of new snow at Snowbasin.

TS
B

Big_Al

Booting up
Skier
Arrived in UT after driving from the East coast.

Season for me will run basically from Dec 1 - April 1, four months. The longer Snowbird season won't be a big factor.

Other factors: type of jobs available on-mountain and off, housing, commute, social options, price of a pass (if I don't work at one of the resorts).

Thanks for the input. Decision time soon.

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
Arrived in UT after driving from the East coast.

Season for me will run basically from Dec 1 - April 1, four months. The longer Snowbird season won't be a big factor.

Other factors: type of jobs available on-mountain and off, housing, commute, social options, price of a pass (if I don't work at one of the resorts).

Thanks for the input. Decision time soon.

Check out EDEN condos by Snowbaisin . very reasonable, I have Fla friend moves in for 3-5month. Saw many employees of Snowbasin and Powder live here.

My only concern for Snowbird would be LLC road on Powder days, I've been lucky to be staying 'at" Alta when storms hit. They call it 'interlodge" No One can leave the building while they do avi blasting.. there were some very disgruntled guests who couldn't get their skis from the ski shop because the employees were stuck in traffic..
It was great for us we had the Mt to our selves for about 3hrs before the road opened!
Check out Goldminers and Alta Lodge have employee housing.. (not sure what type of job you are looking for) Snowbird must have some places w/employee houseing too! Have a wonderful winter where every you land!!

TonyC

Contact me at bestsnow.net
Pass Pulled
December is strong favorite for more open terrain at Snowbird than Snowbasin. During warm days in March all of Snowbasin will melt/freeze while the north facing steeps at Snowbird will retain winter snow. My recommendation for Snowbird stands.

Sponsor

Staff online