• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

jo3st3

Getting on the lift
Skier
What disappoints me, however, is to see the market generally moving away from strong, traditional skis (that I find versatile in our terrain). Everything seems to be either "light" and "tour'ish" (of course only 1% of that equipment ever "tours"

I agree. I think we'd all like to have a true need for touring skis, but the reality is we spend half of our time on groomed ice.

I kind of understand the "lighter is better" approach people are taking, but I think it's better some place warm, a place where the beer flows like wine, where beautiful women instinctively flock like the salmon of Capistrano. I'm talking about a little place called Aspen.

For me, I prefer something versatile with unflappable crud busting capabilities / stable ski for all crappy northeast conditions. It sounds like they watered down the monsters to appeal to a broader market, and at the end of the day, it's all about sales. For a lot of people, it will be more approachable and a great fit.

Last edited:

Mesco

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Hi,
Does anyone know what's the FT Ascendant cuff range plz ?

YolkyPalky

Old-School "Skinny Ski" Bump Skier
Skier
My understanding is Salomon has a new line of ski boots - the S-Max line, which I believe is replacing the X-Max line. I'd love to look at product literature on the new S-Max if someone comes across it. I guess there are new features and such, like entirely heat moldable shells instead of just part of the shell, but I'd love to read more.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
My understanding is Salomon has a new line of ski boots - the S-Max line, which I believe is replacing the X-Max line. I'd love to look at product literature on the new S-Max if someone comes across it. I guess there are new features and such, like entirely heat moldable shells instead of just part of the shell, but I'd love to read more.
It is one of the few boots I did get to ski. The back half of the boot is very snug and it comes up the leg nicely. It is a very responsive boot. Toe box is generous and length inside is longer than my Hear Raptor. I skied the boot w/o heat molding it and it still fit well out of the box.

YolkyPalky

Old-School "Skinny Ski" Bump Skier
Skier
It is one of the few boots I did get to ski. The back half of the boot is very snug and it comes up the leg nicely. It is a very responsive boot. Toe box is generous and length inside is longer than my Hear Raptor. I skied the boot w/o heat molding it and it still fit well out of the box.

Do you recall what Flex Index of the S-Max you demo'd? Thanks for the quick review, looks like a promising boot for the wish-list!

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Will be testing next week. Have heard great things about the new Mantra, the Experience 94, and Kore 99.

Viking9

Out on the slopes
Skier
I like the SOUND of that 94 , maybe their letting people know that their toning down the 100, maybe going after those Kastle’s that seem to own the mid 90’s market.

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
I like the SOUND of that 94 , maybe their letting people know that their toning down the 100, maybe going after those Kastle’s that seem to own the mid 90’s market.

No big deal, but in this region Kastles are only infrequently seen on the hill. I saw one pair today... an LX. Fine skis though. If they were $999, we'd see a load more. Anyhow.. .

Nobody

Out of my mind, back in five.
Skier
This past Sunday, we not only saw and touched the new Blizzard WRC (people here, even shop owners, forgo the "Firebird" part of the name while duscussing it, maybe there are more aficionados to the WRC brand than to the new one,which is strange, since everyone loves novelties), we also skied it. I am impressed, the ski (we tried the [email protected], with the new non-piston plate) feels stable at speed even while straightlining and yet maoeuvrable enough even without any help from modern "inventions" (e.g. tip rocker and the likes).
Compared to my old 186@r21 (w/ piston plate) a complete different animal, more versatile and yet still high performance enough not to make me miss mine in a crowded, groomed place like this Sunday pistes at my local hill.

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
Question on the new 2019 K2 women's hard snow skis (Luv Machine 12 TI, Luv Machine, Tough Luv, True Luv, especially): are the sidewalls full-length, or only under the binding? @Philpug or @Tricia do you guys know / can you find out?

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Question on the new 2019 K2 women's hard snow skis (Luv Machine 12 TI, Luv Machine, Tough Luv, True Luv, especially): are the sidewalls full-length, or only under the binding? @Philpug or @Tricia do you guys know / can you find out?
LuvMachine and ToughLuv are full sidewall, but I'm not sure about the models below them in the lineup. I'm checking.
Edit: It looks like all the upper end models have full sidewall, until you get to SecretLuv

fullsizeoutput_4776.jpeg

Last edited:

Viking9

Out on the slopes
Skier
Hey Mark , anything on the 94 ??
I got a look at them through the catalog, looks like the tip and tail are narrower, maybe making them a soft snow bias instead of the usual hard snow bias ???

Doeschna

Booting up
Skier
I got a look at them through the catalog, looks like the tip and tail are narrower, maybe making them a soft snow bias instead of the usual hard snow bias ???
The 94’s were still definitely a frontside ski. They still held up probably 90% as well as the old experience on the ice I skied them on but were way better in the softer snow and chop. Have ridden a bunch of other offerings from the “mainstream” manufacturers. Will try to post some first impressions of the skis I rode.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I know some of our testers @Drahtguy Kevin and @FairToMiddlin were enamored by the 94. I didn't ski the 94 because of the 187 length, but I did like the 88 which was available to us in the 180. The new Experience is a ton more versatile than the outgoing model but as @markojp said, still front side biased.

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor

The 187 was too long for my preferences... it felt sort of planky. I think a 180 will be very nice. The 88, I really need to get out on and play with the mount. I felt like it needed to go back about 2-3cm. The Black Op's 98 got a lot of traction from friends who rode them.

Drahtguy Kevin

Après aficionado
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I found the 94 a supreme ski on the groom and chopped up crud and bumps. It is the first E series I would consider buying. Power with finesse.

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
I found the 94 a supreme ski on the groom and chopped up crud and bumps. It is the first E series I would consider buying. Power with finesse.

I'm guessing you're bigger than me. ogsmile

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid