• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Seems some consternation about the changes to the Monster line. From what I see, the new shape looks pretty Renoun'ish, and we do have some idea how that works. Yes, I think the 15-16' and 16'-17' Monster 88's are perhaps some of the best 88mm skis ever made... for me.

Everybody like something a little different in a ski. I demoed the M88, and though tune may have been a little suspect, I didn't LOVE it on groomers. Everywhere else, it was a stone cold winner.

For me, I suspect tightening up the radius just a bit (esp up front) will sell me a pair. In the 88 width, I just like a ski to pull a little harder and quicker into a groomer turn when I first tip it up on edge.

Others profess a wish for more skis with 25+ radii. Everybody likes things a little different, and that's not a bad thing, but I've always been a bit of an unapologetic sidecut whore (I even prefer "carvy" pow skis).

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Tune is always a big deal IMHO.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
I love my Monster 83 but they feel super straight if I ski them after skiing my XDR 84...... 18m vs 15m side cut but I think the Salomon has much more tip shape as well.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
The heads are stiffer but the biggest difference is the sidecut...the Salomon are not soft by any means.

LewyM

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Seems some consternation about the changes to the Monster line. From what I see, the new shape looks pretty Renoun'ish, and we do have some idea how that works. Yes, I think the 15-16' and 16'-17' Monster 88's are perhaps some of the best 88mm skis ever made... for me. Unfortunately, the market isn't me. Every year, I've watched them languish on the wall until sale season, and even then, they were a hard sell. I have no idea why. In a similar vein, Blizzard IMHO made one of the best big skis ever thought about when they introduced version 1 of the Bodacious, It didn't sell either. Even on sale. But it was good enough even after all the hand wringing redesigns to bring it back this season... and many shops didn't even order it. We could start a thread on great gear that just didn't sell, but manufactures have to see the money or die. I'm looking at the new Monster picts and since they had to change, I'm hoping they are in fact 'Renoun'ish. Will I like them better than the 15-16/16-17 Monsters? I don't know, but I'm confident they'll be very good, just different, Monsters. FWIW, we can't sell the Kastle MX 89 either. No idea why other than the cost. In the end it's pretty clear what many of here personally prefer can't sustain a company. I do wonder though why limited number of pairs of a particular design can't be produced on prepaid demand. If there's not money upfront, even great skis won't sell a la the MX 98 after it's reintroduction. Kastle probably still has some in the warehouse, and no manufacture can afford that to happen for long. End of late night insomnia ramble..., back to sleep.

It's a bummer to see a good ski go, especially one as good and as great a value as the Monsters. But the market is the market. I am glad that I have my pair of the '16-17 Monster 88s. . . I think they are awesome and although not for everyone, I don't think that they are as narrow-cast as some skis that have been wildly successful over the past decade.

What disappoints me, however, is to see the market generally moving away from strong, traditional skis (that I find versatile in our terrain). Everything seems to be either "light" and "tour'ish" (of course only 1% of that equipment ever "tours" - kind of like the SUVs in the Bellevue Square parking lot), or, at the other extreme, overly hook'ie with a tight turn radius (not my cuppa' tea for offpiste terrain, but probably more on-point for the broad purchasing market). With respect to the new Monsters, I feel like if I wanted a Rossi E88 or a Head Supershape, I'd buy it - the market is already providing that option and Renoun seems to have that shape dialed in a premium construction. So at this point, if I blow a rail on my Heads, I almost feel pushed into a Kastle (or the new/reverted, fixed SR88) at this point because the market around my personal preferences is narrowing. Maybe I just need to change my preferences (or eat less carbs ;)?

Nobody

Out of my mind, back in five.
Skier
No idea what the problem is. We're just having fun talking about gear. If I'm mistaken, I'm mistaken. If your trolling, this is the biggest bite you'll get from me.

:beercheer:
No trolling on my side. I thought you were pulling my leg (trolling), instead.
I see that we are not understanding each other on this topic so I will drop it althogether not to risk derailing this thread (if not already caused).
Over 'n out.

Nobody

Out of my mind, back in five.
Skier
Double post. Darn!
I will take the opportunity to comment further on the new Zero G line, poised to replace the actual Zero G. A piece of me is sorry to have bought the Zero G Guide Pro last summer, another part looks forward to finding more discounted boots, unsold so far, of that line next summer, not for me but for my S.O....hopefully!

Last edited:

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm very intrigued by the new Head Kore boot line--the liners in particular, that can have material added or taken out. I'd like to know what that material is?

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
More ubleck.

RuleMiHa

Out on the slopes
Skier
I'm very intrigued by the new Head Kore boot line--the liners in particular, that can have material added or taken out. I'd like to know what that material is?
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't I read that it was paraffin wax? As in Pedicure wax?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
How does the stiffness of the Kore boot compare to other walk mode boots?
It is on par. They didn't have a 25.5 for me to try on but it feels pretty darn good. IMHO, there will be a Grilamid boot next year for every foot shape.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
How do you think they compared to the Lange and Nordica walk mode boots.

Head has not had too many misteps in the past few years...and I don't expect one here. I am confident they will be on par with the established boots in this class.

Sponsor

Staff online