• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Slopesquad 16-17: How many days so far this season?

Status
Not open for further replies.
TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Day 5 at Northstar. Skied with @Jeff and saw a few Pugski'ers out on the hill. Ski of choice in the groomer day was the K2 SuperCharger that just had a @smoothrides tune. For those in the north tahe region, if you have yet to have Cooper tune your skis, you do not know what you are missing.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I get to join in on this thread! Day one in the books. Had a great day at Northstar on the limited runs. That's ok, I'm still working on getting my legs back. @Tricia and @JeffS and I spent a relaxing morning on the groomers. Snow and weather was awesome! Can't wait for my new boots; when you get on the chair and can feel the boot release contact from the bottom of your foot, your boot MAY be a little too big! @Philpug has been helping me a lot with the new boots. Skied the Moment Tahoes. I like them now. With new boots that don't turn to mush in the turns I will probably like them even better!

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Man! I need to catch up on my slopesquad!

babanff

Out on the slopes
Industry Insider
Day something-greater-than-one:

IMG_0233.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0226.JPG
    IMG_0226.JPG
    35.6 KB · Views: 19

dean_spirito

Freestyle Ski Coach
Skier
Today was day 18. Also my 17th consecutive month on snow.

Skied Copper with my team. Took out the Kastle MX83s and had a blast ripping them down the groomers under American Flyer and Union Creek. No lift lines to speak of, but the trails did feel a little crowded. Still plenty of room to open things up though. Very much looking forward to day 19 tomorrow. Then off to the San Juans for a little storm chasing!!

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Day 161...on my bike. 4,000 miles for the year. ZERO days skiing this season so far. Waiting for a bit more coverage and open terrain.

Read Blinn

lakespapa
Inactive
Day 3, Okemo again, made brilliant by new-to-me Blossoms (thanks Brian!) freshly ground, with new bevels (birthday present from my wife -- thanks Jennie!). I'm never skiing anything else again (hyperbole, but still).

babanff

Out on the slopes
Industry Insider
Nice powder day again at LL. I haven't had a day yet this season without powder turns and hope to keep this streak going! Colorado, pretty sure this system is heading your way next... if so, clear your schedules because you're in for some deep fun.

TahoeCharlie

...Major Tom...
Skier
Today, Sunday, was day 6 so Epic pass paid for and it's all FREE skiing for the rest of the season at Vail resorts. Now if Squaw would only get some decent snow, I could rack up 4 days there and be golden for rest of the season.

fullStack

Getting on the lift
Skier
Day 2: 04 Dec @ Crystal Mountain

The forecast had called for 4-8 inches overnight so we were anticipating a nice day...
When my wife woke me up with the 5am Powder Alert from Crystal, the report was 12" new, and counting. By the time my daughter checked the snow stake cam at 7am, the total was up to 18". Three inches per hour? Yes please.

It turned out to be one of the better snow quality days I've seen in the PNW, pretty much blower top to bottom. The snow was so light it did nothing to cushion all the typical bony spots, so I've got an hour or so with the PTex candle ahead of me.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
5 days. First post in this thread! [loud fanfare]

Days 1, 2, 3 were spent at Whistler after Thanksgiving, got to spend day 2 with Lady Salina and her brother. Fun was had by all.

Shamora rejoicing being back on snow at Whistler.
IMG_0858.JPG

Days 4 & 5 were this past Saturday and Sunday at Stevens for instructor clinics. Stevens opened on Tuesday, then got a bunch of snow Friday, so everyone in the Seattle area who skis or snowboards headed to the slopes as well. Apparently the lots all filled up, and this is even with 350 new parking spaces this year. (Lot G totally rocks, but don't tell anyone!) I've never seen such long lines at the ticket windows and customer relations desks. Thankfully I had my pass all renewed and ready to go. The lines were long at the lifts as well, but they did open up Tye Mill chair and 7th Heaven on Saturday.

Saturday night to Sunday morning it snowed 17" overnight. If anything there were more bodies on the slopes Sunday than on Saturday, which is unusual. Even though I was participating in clinics, we had opportunities to rip off-piste. Well, with all the new snow basically everything on-piste was also off-piste. Good practice for variable conditions and crud. Really the nicest crud day I've had in a long while. It snowed all day, snow was excellent top-to-bottom. They opened up Jupiter on the backside after 1pm, and it was so deep off-piste people were getting stuck in any flat or rise, if they strayed from the main Gemini run that had been rolled earlier. Even on Gemini more snow had accumulated so basically it was a slightly firmer base covered by fresh snow, which turned to chop after 2 runs of everyone bottlenecking that one run. I did a lot of short radius turns, almost mogul skiing to navigate. Much fun.

So, if anyone is snow-starved, maybe a Cascades trip is in your future. Though were we slow to start accumulating snow, it ramped up really quickly and one week later the conditions are awesome. It's been a great start to the season.

Stevens, top of Tye Mill/Jupiter looking over backside.
IMG_0864.JPG
IMG_0865.JPG

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
I was "called off by supervisor"--get credit for those days toward meeting my season commitment -- the first six days of my work schedule. Spent two of those getting my first turns at Loveland. Have 14 days on snow so far.

epicentre

Putting on skis
Skier
Opening day; finally on the board. 10k vert and I've totally forgotten how to ski. I may have fallen a lot. Gonna be sore tomorrow.

fullStack

Getting on the lift
Skier
Day 3: 07 Dec @ Crystal Mountain

Cold! Single digits in the morning, warming all the way up to the teens in the afternoon. Found some nice powder leftovers from Sunday's dump in Northway, along with a few rocks that weren't quite buried enough.
Looking forward to the next round of storms starting tomorrow night...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January