• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Slopesquad 16-17: How many days so far this season?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Myles

Putting on skis
Skier
Days 39 and 40 in the bag. Decent spring skiing at Lake Louise yesterday, and amazing conditions today. About 10 cm of fresh snow overnight, flat light in the late morning, sunshine all afternoon, a few steeps including the back bowls, a few falls, forays into the trees, and some quality time with the family. My legs need a day off.

IMG_9649.JPG

IMG_9657.JPG
IMG_9653.JPG

IMG_9656.JPG

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Saturday: Day 30! And the first day where I felt more or less back to my skier self.

Breck reported five inches Saturday morning ... but Friday was god-awful crunch, and I really didn't think five inches would do much to help. To give you an idea of how bad Friday was (aside from me quitting after 3 runs even though I'd begged for a PTO day) - Breck closed for lightning at about 2:30pm. BRECK closed for lightning. And one of my instructor friends with decades of experience - an examiner - told me conditions were awful. "I wouldn't be skiing if I weren't teaching." Her description: "Frozen slush with a dusting on top." At the bottom, I found the snow to be a strange combination of grabby and loud. On the way to the condo, I talked to more people who were unhappy with conditions. In the meantime, graupel fell from the sky.

So I turned off my alarm and slept in an extra hour, despite the reported snow, most of which fell in the afternoon. I figured I'd do a run or two, then call it and drive home. Hah.

Low expectations + great conditions = banner day.

20170401_090016.jpg

The Zeldas were perfect for conditions.

I've realized that my knee really does best with a warm-up, so I started with two laps of the long groomers on Peak 10. I found plenty of soft stuff, and I was able to aim my skis through small patches that hadn't yet been tracked. I would have needed first chair to get untracked. I considered The Burn, but I figured it was probably crunchy under that tempting blanket, and like a waterfall at the bottom. Not what I need to be skiing, just yet.

Throughout the day, I did three laps of Whale's Tail (dropping into Y Chutes, Deb's, and Boundary Chutes) - the first lap with close to zero visibility. Very happy with how I took the cornice all three times. The snow on those runs was just delightful. I also skied bumps surprisingly well on lower High A - there's always a nice line directly adjacent to the trees on the right side, where the snow is shaded - and then again on lower Psychopath's slush bumps.

20170401_103100.jpg

Excellent visibility at the cornice

Getting in line for Chair 6 after my first lap, Jane and Pete spotted me - instructor friends who were out with a relative. We did another lap of Whale's Tail (why mess with success?). It had gone from a wind-whipped whiteout to perfect clarity. Not only could we see Copper across I-70 - we could make out the bumps on those runs. Below, Jane suggested Ore Bucket, a mellow tree run - hey, my first tree run of the season! Then she took us down a tight little trail in the trees between some blue runs. Excellent coverage.

20170401_115320.jpg

Whale's Tail after the winds cleared

We split up, and I rode the T-Bar with an enthusiastic woman who's had her full cert since the .. 70s? 80s? ... and teaches at Greek Peak. I also saw several of my usual ski lesson buddies. We met up at the top, and the woman, who shall henceforth be GP, joined us as we made our way to Imperial. She braved Whale's Tail and Joker Rolls. On 66mm skis. We ducked in for a late lunch, where we all shared snacks. I ran into another few friends at Vista, then met up with the crew. As usual, friend John brought a feast, sharing red wine, prosciutto, and aged Gouda. I shared what I had - sugar snap peas, apple slices, and macadamia nuts. Then we had our new Greek Peak friend swap skis with another friend of similar BSL - Atomic Centuries, 102 underfoot. GP friend gamely skied them on a groomer (beautiful turns!) and part of a bump run, but then wanted her 66mm sticks back. One more run up the 6 chair - GP friend split off, and I saw some more friends I hadn't skied with all season at the bottom of a run. But my knee was screaming, and my turns down King had been pretty poor, so I headed off to Peak 9. Where I was having just so much fun that despite my knee pain, I kept going on groomers for two extra laps.

I got to the bridge and took off my skis to start my walk to the condo - when another familiar face said, "Monique?" So, two more long-lost ski buddies to catch up with.

In total, and through random chance, I skied with six ski buddies, said hi to ten more, and skied some laps with a random woman from Greek Peak. I skied my most vert so far this season, much of which was upper mountain. I skied some fairly challenging terrain, some of it with poor vis and/or heavy snow, confidently (if not always well!), and it didn't spook me.

It was a good day.

... after I got back to the condo, the rush of the day wore off, and my knee gave me a serious talking to. Now, more than 24 hours later, it's still cranky. But you know what? Worth it. Totally worth it.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Yesterday was day 56 for me. This last three days have been the best of the whole season; fresh snow, soft bumps, people I like, and on top of that I taught (only) two lessons and they were both a ton of fun.

The storm that blew in Friday produced as close to perfect snow as we ever get around here, and it stayed that way all weekend long. I need soft, easy bumps to work on my bump form (it's improving, but not near the level I seek yet). At most of the places I ski the bumps are either huge and icy or non-existent. But these last few weeks I've been able to find user-friendly bumps in graduated levels of difficulty, and with this weekend's new snow, the bump conditions for working on my form got even better. Cannon did not experience the overnight freezeup that I expected for Sunday; the snow was as soft as it had been on Sat and had a new 3" layer on top. Mother Nature decided to be nice to us.

My goal has been 60 days for the last several years but I don't always make it. It might be reachable this season.

Last edited:

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Today was day 70 for me. I went up to A-Basin early to watch my friend and neighbor set the World Record for Straightjacket Speed Skiing. He went 64 mph in this run. He usually skis without poles so the straightjacket was a natural for his fundraising efforts. He has done various skiing challenges to raise money for Mountain Mentors (http://www.co.summit.co.us/332/Mountain-Mentors), all while wearing a straightjacket. Help support the kids. Please donate!

Last edited:

lone pine

Getting on the lift
Skier
Day 44 in the books for me today. Mrs. LP and I skied Okemo in nice spring snow, which was manageable until about noon. Probably finished for the season, as rain is due for most of the week.

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
Yesterday. was 53 a beautiful day at Okemo Perfect spring snow my Atomic 11's performed flawlessly. Jackson Gore was great. No pole skiing kind of day. the sticky's thankfully waited til noon.. and today wake up it's raining. YUK

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
71. 15" in 24 hours. Yesterday would have been the bomb, but I got out today to enjoy fresh wind delivered refills and knee to waist deep (over the bars deep) shots.

20170405_085857.jpg

North Bowl on Peak 8

20170405_085855.jpg

Peaks 7 and 8

20170405_095526_South Main Street.jpg

From the bottom of the T-Bar looking towards home.

20170405_115029.jpg

The trees were friendly although I did get one tip under a snag.

20170405_125043_Watson Avenue_crop.jpg

Seen on the way back home.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I have not beek posting days every day...68 here at Stowe...

0d1c15eb55b2e0c126f3c9c629898e1d.jpg

Jack skis

Ex 207cm VR17 Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Seasons over for me, got a little back spasm going on so I'm not making it out on the last day. It was a good season though, 110 days on the mountain and good conditions almost all the time. Over 300 inches of snow at CB and the area was opened from wall to wall and tip to bottom before it was all over. Plenty of snow left to keep operating if only they would. Oh yeah, seemed to be easy more front range skiers her this year.

textrovert

Reelin' in the years
Skier
25 days so far. All at Tahoe-
Sierra(12), Northstar(5), Sugar Bowl(2), Heavenly(2), Kirkwood(2), Diamond Peak(1), Squaw(1)

Looking to get in more days at Squaw/Alpine, especially if they really run into June (and July 4th).

Myles

Putting on skis
Skier
Made it to 43 last week at Lake Louise. Another shot of me with the kids on the Ptarmigan Chair. Great conditions this spring and no more crowds. Unfortunately, I probably won't make it to 44 as things have gotten busy at work and hills within easy striking distance of home are shutting down.

IMG_9655.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor