• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I always lock, with a cable lock. I have the SkiKey, but not every resort has the racks for them. It takes a second, you get in the habit and its peace of mind. It isn't the most secure I know, but it is a deterrent.

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Just remembered mrs C had her skis and poles taken. Someone must have had the identical set up only the skis left slightly sharper and poles with them just slightly newer - right, what are the odds?
Waited till way after closing at the bar and no one came back to swap back, thought about lost and found for a second ....ahh, never mind !

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I had someone walk off with my poles once and it sucks. When I'm at a mountain without a ski check I lock up my skis with a retractable combination lock. I also take the straps of the poles and push them down over the skis I mix the straps in with my lock overall making it more of a pain to take my poles than it's worth.

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Don't lock mine. Keep everything together. No issues.

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sorry, very quick thread drift for a story:

Locking skis always reminds me of a funny story (at least to me/ski buds)....

At Snowbird a few years ago...great day...on way to Tram bar for end of the day beers...we for some reason do free ski check right there at Plaza.

We spend a couple hours at Tram bar apre' session......:rocks::rocks:
somebody (me) suggests just leaving skis at the free ski check overnight....everybody agrees...great idea!!

We get on the bus for the short bus ride up the canyon (we were staying in Alta)......we stupidly realized what we did....:doh:

We were staying in a ski in/ski out condo (The View) along Alta/Snowbird boundary.

The next morning we looked liked idiots waiting at the bus stop outside a ski in/out condo....we had to take the bus down to the Tram Plaza.....when we could of just walked out to BlackJack and skied down.;)

Yes, like to have fun...but that leads to some really dumb ideas. We are the only humans to ski check skis/poles at the base when staying in a ski in/out condo up on the mtn.:roflmao:

Last edited:

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
When one of us has new skis, we mismatch them and separate them and hope for the best. Since we rarely buy the current model of skis, it's not a real big issue for us. However, having had a great day ruined by someone stealing DS's poles, we take our poles into lunch with us. Nowhere has ever objected to poles coming inside.

Thread drift ... I want to buy Bob some carbon poles for Christmas. Any recommendations?

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
-

- having had a great day ruined by someone stealing DS's poles, we take our poles into lunch with us. Nowhere has ever objected to poles coming inside.

Thread drift ... I want to buy Bob some carbon poles for Christmas. Any recommendations?
Anything Black Diamond (telescopic) AT type pole which can be retracted and inconspicuously carried into the lodge. For this purpose anything more than a single flintlock is overkill, less is more.

Fishbowl

A Parallel Universe
Skier
We always lock our skis and poles up with a cable lock. Someone looses their skis or snowboard every weekend at Snowbowl, so it amazes me that most people just leave their gear leaning up against the ski rack. It's like leaving your car unlocked and your wallet on the front seat. Cable locks are easy to carry, cost less than $15 and take about 30 seconds to use. Why wouldn't you?

2018W-2018W-610934187908-10001563-MICROLOCK-GREEN-MAIN.jpg

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Again, please forgive the boardwalk ...
Anything Black Diamond (telescopic) AT type pole which can be retracted and inconspicuously carried into the lodge. For this purpose anything more than a single flintlock is overkill, less is more.
Did you mean this kind
111551_Carbon_Compactor_Open_web.jpg

or this kind
111553_Razor_Carbon_Pro_Poles_125cm_web.jpg

Thank you in advance. I know nothing about poles. I only know that he destroys the aluminum ones on a regular basis. He skis steeps that would make me curl up and cry, so I want him to have a strong enough pole for a self arrest.

Posaune

sliding
Skier
I ski on gear that nobody wants to steal. It's worked so far and I've skied 53 seasons. It's top quality stuff in good skiing condition, but I always have scratched up, ugly top sheets and crappy looking poles. I ski mostly in uncrowded weekday conditions where thieves don't tend to be as often ,and I go to the car at lunch and put my gear in the box when I retrieve my food when I'm skiing Baker. The parking is very convenient.

I did have one pair of poles stolen, though. It was when I was on ski patrol and somebody took them from the rack inside the patrol building. It was a patroller that stole them because they changed their appearance with rings of tape and put them back in the rack weeks later, but since they had mismatched handles I recognized them. I took them back and made them so ugly nobody else would touch them. This was sometime around 1975. No other incidents since.

Sponsor

Staff online