• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Yes strong core helps for sure. When I was having my issues m doc. said I could get operated on but might e able to recover without one. I did a lot of research. Back then that involved reading medical journals as there was no internet yet. What I learned that really stuck in my mind was that 4 years post surgery a lot of folks were having the same issues again while those who were healed through PT and exercise had much fewer issues. I think a big part of that is learning how much stretching and strengthening helps you tend to keep it up on a regular basis.

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
IMG_1771.PNG

Here's the 'map' in your brain of how the body accounts for motor & sensation in order to be a productive mover in the world. With mouth, hands & legs doing much of the dexterity work, there's just not much real estate for the core/back.

This & the fact the low back pain flare ups are really just chronic issues smoldering into dumpster fires are why LBP is so challenging & complex. Best to find providers who can relate to you & have a grasp on the neuroscience & the conditioning methods- no small task.

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
Clearly the solution is go live with/near @Brian Finch for at least 6 months. ;)

(In all seriousness - Brian has all the letters I'd be looking for in my rehab facilitator - you could do faaaaaar worse than someone with his skill and expertise.)

Many, many thanks; I have to laugh because you're not the first to have this thought. Past couple summers I've had some 'destination rehab' clients who have done just this.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
My back isn't usually horrible but can get pretty bad. A long car drive makes it worse, especially if the driving conditions are bad. I find that moving my torso side to side, doing some Elvis thrusts (not sexual just moving around), and some neck rolls in the car helps to keep things loose. Also rolling a baseball between your back the car seat works well. Way better than a tennis ball.

I have found that when it's bad I need to tone down the exercises and work on posture, walking, stretching, and relaxation. Sounds like Mom pushing the chicken soup but it works. The chiro helped for a while but was the weird type; I think a more scientific methodology could be worth a try. Although I still do some of his recommended stretches.

Scrundy

I like beer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I been skiing with lower back pain for years. Getting boots on was a painfull event. Got so bad this year I thought I would pass on skiing this year or maybe even for good.
After a trip to a pain management doc he suggested cortisone shots. All I can say is life changing,almost painfree now.

SpauldingSmails

Uh oh, somebody's wrong on the internet again!
Skier
L5-S1 disc degenerating here. One time the nerve compressed and I couldn't stand up straight for days. An inversion table, a TENS unit, hydration, and careful strength training keep my pain away.

Calbearski

Booting up
Skier
Well, just learned I am joining the walking wounded with an impingement on the L4 nerve. Dr. Indicated I am done for the season. Starting PT tomorrow and will see where that leads. May need a steroid injection in the future since prednisone is helping with the pain. I’ll be reviewing the feedback here to see what else I should consider. Thanks for your input.

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
My lower back hurts when there is a vertical jarring in moguls. My two strategies are:

1. Ski with a tight core. That stabilizes the upper body.

2. Hit moguls when angulated and on edges. That allows both knees and hips to absorb the impact, not just the knees.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
2. Hit moguls when angulated and on edges. That allows both knees and hips to absorb the impact, not just the knees.

Or just ski the bumps without impact.

Calbearski

Booting up
Skier
Anyone skiing with a back brace? If so, does it help take the load off your spine? My Dr. is against it indicating it will inhibit the strengthening of the core muscles. Anyone else hearing that?