• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

WadeHoliday

Out on the slopes
SkiTalk Tester
OK,
I'm not good w/ format, hopefully you don't mind (Phil) if I just ramble through the impressions of some of the skis I skied on at the Mt Rose shop demo...

First off, I want to comment on perspective, and this may tie in with the "ski review bias" thread.
the ski you normally ski on and how it is tuned is a key framework for reviews. Once you are used to something, others feel different and that may be bad, or sometimes good.

So, the first day, I skied skis that are similar in width and intended to purpose to what I normally ski, speaking of that,
my daily ski, Kastle fx95hp, 181, 5ft 11, 162lbs, good skier w/ lots of habits, some good, some bad. Ski at slow to moderate speeds, short to med round turns, mostly off piste in 3d snow, mostly in steeper terrain. That combo of skiing slow in difficult terrain is something that shapes my ski perceptions dramatically I believe.

So,
first:

Blizzard Brahma 180,
88mm ski, 19m shape I think.

This one was predictable with a good well proven shape. I have spent some time on this before, and liked that it held well on firm snow, but would also drift when asked. I felt that the torsional stiffness was higher then skis I like best at my weight and preferred speed.

it's for: skiers who like a torsionally stiffer ski, maybe heavier guys.
not for: those who like a ski that gives good feedback at moderate speeds.

Stockli SR 88, 177
88mm ski, 18m radius,
New layup, they changed wood to balsa and lighted it, it also felt a bit softer then last years in my 2 runs.
This one behaved better at my speeds, and once again, I liked the tip shape, width, and flex. compared to my kastle, I found the shape carvier, but not as compliant and playful off piste. I've heard people say the SR's ski short, but I think w/ the damp slow feel, I like them shorter. this 177 is much better for me then the 183, and 174 was too short.

for: those that like damp, solid, versatile.
not for: those that look for more feedback from the skis.

Fisher AM 86, 176
86mm ski, 16-17m radius,
Wow, I really like this one from the get go. Very shapely and fun, tip a bit stiffer then I like, but the overall feel was good. with all the shape, it was good on the groomed, and carved well. the tail bit me in the steep bumps in the Chutes at rose, partly as I"m accustomed to the super friendly shape of my kastle. So, tail got me, and I fell! tweaked the knee a bit. I don't like to fall... :). But, I think this is a great ski, just best in moderate terrain.

for: those who like a super versatile shape and fun carvy all mtn ski with the ability to mix radii.
Not for: those who spend all their time in steeps or ski really fast.

Scott "the ski", 180
90mil ski, 18 m radius.
This ski was the best tuned of the test (besides my ski :).
great hold due to tune but easy to drift and playful feeling. just a good all around ski, lacking the solidity of the metal skis, but more playful. Made in Sun Valley I think, and I can see it. Great cold snow, perfect. Rain layer CA snow, or E. Coast ice, not as secure.
That said, this was my favorite of the day after my kastle.

Who: people who want an super fun ski that does everything you ask, and tend to ski in places with friendly snow.
not for: east coast ice or big icy squaw bumps.

I finished the day on my ski, as my knee was bugging me after funky fall. I wanted predictable, honey badger ski, that would do whatever I wanted and not test my knees.
Kastle fx95hp, just perfect in steep terrain, predictable in chalky bumps, less exciting on groomer access runs.

Second day:
So, this one is really where that "perspective" thought comes in as we started on skinny carving type skis. Caviat, I don't own or ski this type of ski, so take that idea, along w/ how 90 something skis feel after skiing on hard snow oriented skis all morning...

Head Rally Titan:
170, 78mm ski, 15m radius I think,
this was a good ski, super fun in carved turns on moderate terrain, but it would allow me to "skivot" the top of turn readily, to get to the belly quicker and shorten the radius. Also let me ski "blended" turns and shape the upper and lower half of the turn.

for: someone who spends most of their time on piste, skiing shorter turns, but likes some versatility.
not: full speed demons or peeps who ski natural snow a lot.

Head Rally ? 72mm ski,
170 72mm, 13m ski.
this was too skinny, too shapely and I really didn't agree with it. attitudinal, no me gusta.

for: don't know
not; for me or anyone who likes a good ski

Stockli Laser SX, 170
70mm ski, 15.8m radius
Wow, this thing is solid! I was skeptical of the 70 something ski after the 2nd Head, but this one was great!
didn't like to be skidded much, but so solid and confidence inspiring I didn't feel I needed to blend carve/drift as much. Not a bump ski, but just a super solid fun hard snow/groomer ski.

for: closet racers and those that love that snow hugging, blow your hair back feel.
Not: the meek, or slow, or all mtn types.

Stockli Laser AX, 167
once again, these Lasers feel so solid! loved that feel. this one was much more versatile, with more forgiving width and tip, and fun in some bumps, and shaped turns as well. Still liked to carve more then drift, but more open to variety. If there was a length between this 67 and the 75, I would probably own this as my "northstar" ski (lots of groomers, moderate pitch, need ski to provide excitement as oppose to terrain").

for: frontside oriented good skiers looking for damp, solid inspiring feel with friendly side.
not: hum, slow timid, or mostly off piste skiers.

After these, we went back to mid fats, which was shocking.

Atomic vantage 90, 177,
90mil ski, 17m radius,
Yuck. felt like a french ski that didn't know what it wanted. Air y, dull, little feedback or info to driver.

Line supernatural 92,
180, 92mil ski, 18m radius.
I was hopeful, but this one was dull and not fun for me. Slippery and odd. May have been perspective, but I got on my 95 a couple runs later, and it held fine and behaved much better.

Nordica enforcer 93:
180, 93mil ski, 17ish radius.
Ah oh (pugski sacrilege), so, I have owned tons of nordica's and don't have a bias against them, and I know this site thinks these enforcers walk on water, but, No me gusta. felt like I was mounted 2cm forward with no tip, and a tail that argued with me.

who: could be awesome all mtn ski for the person that feels the mount point is right for them and likes that feel.
not: for someone used to more solid skis with more secure feeling tips and less punitive tails.

I wasn't in the mood to fight any of the last 3 uninspiring skis with my tweaky knee, so I went back and got my kastle to bring me out of my "too many odd skis" funk...
Then, on my 95, and tried to work through the funk... it took a day, but I'm back to happy on skis and with the path I take around the wonderful white playground.

Cheers,
Wade

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Nice candor!

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Thanks Wade! Questions, you loved the Head Titans but hated the Rallys? Color me shocked, I would have sworn it would be the other way around. Personally, I didn't ski the new Titan because I didn't like the previous one, I need to go back now and try the new one..shame on me for going in with that preconceived notion. The Scott The Ski, was conceived in Sun Valley but is actually produced in the Fischer factory. There is no harm disliking the Enforcer, it is not a bannable offense, I am glad you got back on them having a bad experience last year (which was pretty universally luhe warm from Rose last year due to bad tunes).

TS
WadeHoliday

WadeHoliday

Out on the slopes
SkiTalk Tester
Yes, I was perplexed by the head as well. I didn't ski the Rally though, I skied the skinniest supershape. The Rally was between the titan and the one I skied. I think it was the 13 m radius more then the width that I found bothersome. so opinionated and I had trouble overriding it's will. I didn't love the titan, but it was a supershape I got along with.

Interesting, The Ski is made by fisher... boy it was tuned well and super fun, anywhere I didn't find fullly hard rain layer ice underneath it was money.

What is interesting about the enforcer this year is that the tune was the opposite. Last year it felt super sharp, maybe 1x3 or railed a bit, this year it felt rounded. Could have been coming off the skinny carving skis. back to back with SX, wide skis can feel dull...

Cheers!
W

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Yes, I was perplexed by the head as well. I didn't ski the Rally though, I skied the skinniest supershape. The Rally was between the titan and the one I skied. I think it was the 13 m radius more then the width that I found bothersome. so opinionated and I had trouble overriding it's will. I didn't love the titan, but it was a supershape I got along with.

Interesting, The Ski is made by fisher... boy it was tuned well and super fun, anywhere I didn't find fullly hard rain layer ice underneath it was money.

What is interesting about the enforcer this year is that the tune was the opposite. Last year it felt super sharp, maybe 1x3 or railed a bit, this year it felt rounded. Could have been coming off the skinny carving skis. back to back with SX, wide skis can feel dull...

Cheers!
W
RE: Heads, you skied the Magnum (I will edit your post to reflect that). OK, I am now confused a different way and for our readers, lets clarify.... "Supershape" is a collection of skis, iSpeed (yellow) 68mm, i.Magnum (green) 72mm, i.Rally (red) 76mm and i.Titan (blue) 80mm.

I think there were a few Enforcers, last year, that were railed :(. I have only been on my own Enforcer 93's this year and found the tune to not be an issue.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
How dare you not linking the Enforcer. Almost as bad as not liking the Bonafide.:roflmao:

Honestly I bet a lot of folks purchased the bones based on all the accolades and did not like them or would have been better off in other skis. Happens. Hence it is always best to test skis if possible.

dawgcatching

Snow? What is that?
Industry Insider
My opinions mirrored Wade's for the most part. Interesting, as we have opposite skiing styles, and ski tactically different. I didn't care for the Rally that much either: it wasn't the classic "versatile" supershape design that I could ski anywhere but was frontside oriented. More of a full-on race carver. I also hated that Atomic. Felt like a light, no-feel, scattery ski that had too much Adderall. Meh on the Enforcer and Line; not much feedback, would do the job, akin to driving a Highlander SUV. Really, really liked the SR88, the Scale Beta, the FX95HP, the SR95, the SX, the MX89, and the new Brahma, once I warmed up to it and realized how I had to drive the tip and commit to make the ski work. Quattro from Blizzard weren't well tuned: I found the top end model to be simply too stiff, but the next one down had potential, although the flex pattern I didn't feel was anywhere near as progressive or balanced as my Laser SC, which is my gold standard for frontside skis.

The other ski that made my top 3: the new Rossi Experience 88. Just about perfect for a narrower all-mountain ski. Not a great groomer ski, capable but too damp and mellow at the tip, but really rips in bumps and steeps. The only issue was the crappy Rossi DIN 12 binding, I pre-released in one of the chutes and could have had a disaster on my hands. Aside from that, it is an awesome ski, reminded me of my old Elan Apex/888 in terms of a midfat application that has a huge range and won't break the bank.

TS
WadeHoliday

WadeHoliday

Out on the slopes
SkiTalk Tester
OK,

Sorry for the Head Confusion, I'll change the post. I didn't know what it was called, but it was yellow! so speed, 68mm.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
well Wade you did not ski a Enforcer in a 180 size.

and you should try mounting it back :P

TS
WadeHoliday

WadeHoliday

Out on the slopes
SkiTalk Tester
well Wade you did not ski a Enforcer in a 180 size.

and you should try mounting it back :P

Oh, Nordica is 177 I think. sliding back would have helped, but my knee was bugging me, and I just wanted to put my own skis back on...

Cheers!
W

MrFox

Dawgcatching.com
Skier
Industry Insider
Wade, I skied most of the same skis as you, and my impressions were also very similar. You do very well at succinctly summing up ski characteristics.

My thoughts on the Nordica Enforcer were also that it had too "progressive" a mounting point, a little further back would have made me happier. For me I also felt that the Enforcer needed to be more damp. It felt lively and had good edge grip, but felt too skittish for what I preferred.

The Queen and King of the Mt Rose demo day were the FX95HP and Stockli AX for me (not sure which is King and which Queen). The FX95HP was damp and easy to ski in everything, but created great power when you really got them up on edge. The AX had great grip, the right amount of turn radius, and was a super fun ski on groomers.

Of everything I skied, if I were going to spend my money on skis, those are the 2 I would want in my quiver. (As a side note, I never got the chance to get on the MX89, but that might also have made the list).

TS
WadeHoliday

WadeHoliday

Out on the slopes
SkiTalk Tester
Wade, I skied most of the same skis as you, and my impressions were also very similar. You do very well at succinctly summing up ski characteristics.

My thoughts on the Nordica Enforcer were also that it had too "progressive" a mounting point, a little further back would have made me happier. For me I also felt that the Enforcer needed to be more damp. It felt lively and had good edge grip, but felt too skittish for what I preferred.

The Queen and King of the Mt Rose demo day were the FX95HP and Stockli AX for me (not sure which is King and which Queen). The FX95HP was damp and easy to ski in everything, but created great power when you really got them up on edge. The AX had great grip, the right amount of turn radius, and was a super fun ski on groomers.

Of everything I skied, if I were going to spend my money on skis, those are the 2 I would want in my quiver. (As a side note, I never got the chance to get on the MX89, but that might also have made the list).

For those that don't know much about this ski tester, MrFox fills a nice niche for the test crew. He is a couple inches taller then me, prob 6ft 1 to 6 1.5, stronger and younger. He also is very solid technically, growing up skiing every day at ski academy in the east. A good blend with Scott (smaller, stronger, later to skiing), me (finesse old ski instructor turns), and now MrFox (can I use your name?), young, strong, solid race background).

Thx for adding the thoughts!

Cheers!
Wade

MrFox

Dawgcatching.com
Skier
Industry Insider
For those that don't know much about this ski tester, MrFox fills a nice niche for the test crew. He is a couple inches taller then me, prob 6ft 1 to 6 1.5, stronger and younger. He also is very solid technically, growing up skiing every day at ski academy in the east. A good blend with Scott (smaller, stronger, later to skiing), me (finesse old ski instructor turns), and now MrFox (can I use your name?), young, strong, solid race background).

Thx for adding the thoughts!

Cheers!
Wade

Hey Wade! I don't mind if you use my name at all. Makes it easier for people to know who they're talking to on the phone, and on the forum.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
Good job all. I think it would be great idea to know @MrFox by name or at least by first name so we can better know him. I have no doubt he has a lot of great insight and experience to share. Welcome MrFox. :thumb:

Regarding the Enforcer, for those who didn't care for it, what conditions did you test it on? I loved it on fresh and broken, it was very good on soft groomed. I think that's what it was really intended for. Just look at the shape.

TS
WadeHoliday

WadeHoliday

Out on the slopes
SkiTalk Tester
Brad is the elusive Mr Fox!
I don't even know his last name...

but, we had a great time skiing together, and I was impressed with his skiing and perceptions of the new skis.

We skied the enforcer in all pretty hard snow, some chalky, some just hard.

Cheers,
Wade

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
Brad is the elusive Mr Fox!
I don't even know his last name...

but, we had a great time skiing together, and I was impressed with his skiing and perceptions of the new skis.

We skied the enforcer in all pretty hard snow, some chalky, some just hard.

Cheers,
Wade

Ahha! I suspected as much :). IMHO The tapered tips and tails just don't lend themselves to harder snow.

Edit; I idnt read the review well enough. I thought you were referring to the 100 version. My comments are limited to that ski. I didn't ski the 93. Sorry

TS
WadeHoliday

WadeHoliday

Out on the slopes
SkiTalk Tester
Ahha! I suspected as much :). IMHO The tapered tips and tails just don't lend themselves to harder snow.

Edit; I idnt read the review well enough. I thought you were referring to the 100 version. My comments are limited to that ski. I didn't ski the 93. Sorry

Got it, thx Ron.
but,
fx95hp was my favorite ski of the day, w/ tapered tips and tails...

this review thread is turning into a discussion of the enforcer, which wasn't my intention.
I should try that one again, check my mount point, check the side edge and make sure it's up to what I'm used to. I'm just giving my 1 run impression here. Phil, you have one for me to get more time on and tweak the tune?

Cheers!
W

HeluvaSkier

Reality Check Writer
Pass Pulled
I skied the 2017 185 Enforcer a few weeks ago in cut up, piled up granular/sugar. I stepped into them and before really going anywhere I moved them back 2cm because the tail felt way too long. They were generally uninspiring. The shape felt like they were over-thought and there was nothing special about the flex or how the construction made the ski react... My Fischer Motive 95 and Head Monster 98 eat their lunch in every possible way. Back to your regularly scheduled thread NOT about the Enforcer.

dawgcatching

Snow? What is that?
Industry Insider
I skied the 2017 185 Enforcer a few weeks ago in cut up, piled up granular/sugar. I stepped into them and before really going anywhere I moved them back 2cm because the tail felt way too long. They were generally uninspiring. The shape felt like they were over-thought and there was nothing special about the flex or how the construction made the ski react... My Fischer Motive 95 and Head Monster 98 eat their lunch in every possible way. Back to your regularly scheduled thread NOT about the Enforcer.

Well put. We have a Monster 98 177 demo at the shop, and I own the Motive 95ti 180. Much more responsive tip on both of these skis, no doubt, they really give me much less of that vague feedback/side around feel at the tip. Also, both had more top end and were smoother in junk, just as easy to ski (Monster 98) or easier (Motive). The Enforcer did feel like it was trying to be a slightly beefed up Sin7, which is the ultimate "meh" ski that drifts around and is uninspiring. I got on the 2017 Rossi EXP88 right after that Enforcer 93 and thought it was a much better ski for that general width range, the shape fit what the ski was trying to do accomplish, as did the flex. I think if they updated the old Steadfast with modern flex and profile, it would be a better fit in that 93mm range.

I loved, loved the old Enforcer. It was one of the best skis ever made. Then again, it was basically a Motive 95ti. I think I do like normal full-contact tips for this width range, with a bit of early rise. The tapered tip design doesn't work as well for me until the snow gets deeper, unless is it is really well engineered.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid