• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Skiing Risk Management

TS
Mendieta

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
I have one cardinal rule for sports: don't go faster than you are prepared to hit something at.

Of course how you hit can negate the apparent safety factor you create by not exceeding the speed limit, which is to say you always come out of a wreck ok, but, the faster you go the more energy you have so the more injury you are likely to incur during an impact with a hard object.

That a good rule of thumb! I was mentioning in another thread, but one of my skiing rules, related to this one, is to try to stay away from solid obstacles (trees, poles, structures). Even when I see a crowded run or people who might do something unpredictable, I prefer to slow down, make it safe and then keep doing my thing ...

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
I have one cardinal rule for sports: don't go faster than you are prepared to hit something at.

Of course how you hit can negate the apparent safety factor you create by not exceeding the speed limit, which is to say you always come out of a wreck ok, but, the faster you go the more energy you have so the more injury you are likely to incur during an impact with a hard object.
That would never work for me; I like, no, thoroughly enjoy skiing at speeds that are 10 times or more the speed at which I am prepared to hit something at.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I race DH which really gets the need for speed out of my system. When I'm at a resort skiing with the public, I'll go 40 - 50 mph on groomers but insure I have a fall zone. Much of the time I'm on skis that don't merit high speeds as they are much better at off-piste than speed. That's not to say I don't let it rip or ski terrain without risk. Some of my favorite terrain is narrow chutes and such. Trees too. But in all cases outside of the race arena I anticipate what could happen to me or others given the conditions and my own speed.

I must concede that it is easier for me to manage on skis than on a mt. bike. I really don't want to hit rocks at any speed but it is inevitable that there'll be rocks where I ride so I do go faster than zero in those area. ;-)

dlague

Waitin' for Wintah
Skier
That a good rule of thumb! I was mentioning in another thread, but one of my skiing rules, related to this one, is to try to stay away from solid obstacles (trees, poles, structures). Even when I see a crowded run or people who might do something unpredictable, I prefer to slow down, make it safe and then keep doing my thing ...

15-20 MPH is all it takes - most good skiers ski way faster than that. Helmets are only certified to about 15 MPH

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I guess what I'm saying is that I know I'll get hurt if I hit something (my recent 3 broken ribs, broken clavicle, collapsed lung and concussion) will attest to that fact that I accept (and certainly expose myself to) some risk of injury, but I try to reduce the impact (pun intended) by regulating my speed according to the objects I'm likely to hit. My recent injury was pretty severe and done at max possible speed (for me) has driven home the risks I expose myself to.

I visited a client today that couldn't understand why I'd expose myself to the possibility of injury at all. She is a couch potato so I didn't try to explain the thrill of activity and the acceptance of some inherent risk that we try to balance to have a life where our enjoyment of sport isn't absolutely regulated by complete moderation. I think many, if not most or all, of us ski to experience the thrill and beauty of the outdoors, and the wind on our faces in addition to the athletic challenge. We all have our limits. Some are much higher than others and I respect that.

TS
Mendieta

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
so I didn't try to explain the thrill of activity and the acceptance of some inherent risk that we try to balance to have a life where our enjoyment of sport isn't absolutely regulated by complete moderation.

Exactly that balance is what this whole thread is all about, from my perspective :thumb:

Sponsor

Staff online