• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mike Rogers

Out on the slopes
Skier
What many in this thread fail to realize is that a lot of the younger "rowdy" set migrated back to skiing once it stopped being so lame.

Or they took it up when they got into backcountry.

Splitboarding can be rough on approaches/returns!

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
In many cases you would probably keep MORE 'idiots' off the mountain by banning all skiers from a resort.

You'd definitely keep more idiots off by banning tourists and say people who don't get in at least 6 days per year to keep their skiing/ boarding skills current. But you'd also kill the golden goose that sustains the industry.

I took up boarding in my middish 20s after a number of years of not being able to afford to ski and a failure to progress in any way skiing. Snowboarding was a revelation I could immediately ride the whole mtn like I'd done ( probably badly) as a kid. I was subsequently motivated to spend as much time as possible in the mtns and dabbled in new fangledish skis on downdays rekindling my love for skiing. But it took buying a pair of Line Motherships to really get me back into skiing big time, finally skis that were as vesatile as a board without the traversing and clip in out BS.

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
Not sure why you are carrying on with this argument @Goose . You are trying to explain an observation -- that on a percentage basis, more snowboarders are unruly/unfavorable/deplorable vs. skiers. Understood. However, I am not sure why you would bring this up if it is not a reason why you prefer skier only mountains?

I think many are arguing here against the idea that even IF your observation/opinion is true, it's not a 'good reason' to ban snowboarders from a resort. Nowadays snowboarding is much less common. In many cases you would probably keep MORE 'idiots' off the mountain by banning all skiers from a resort.
Im not really carrying on and based on some the posts some are not understanding as you are above. People are responding to me and when they do it calls for a response when they are not always understanding my posts and/or placing words in my mouth and/or simply calling upon me to reply to the debate.

I would prefer skier only if I had the choice and the reasons I give are why that is so. That doesn't mean I intentionally want to hate snow boarding nor ever ski in places that have both and it doesn't mean I want to exclude an entire age group from ever coming to the mountain. And so..... there is still a bit of disconnect here and also another response to one calling me into more conversation such as you respectfully are now. That's not carrying on but only responding where/when asked. And I think I been very civil in doing so.

Im going to let this topic (at least as for my opinion) be as I sense my thoughts are just too touchy an opinion for continued discussion about them without people becoming aggravated. And I gather things will just become too ugly for a number of people if I keep responding to what others have to say to me and when they want to debate me. I like to debate and even if proven wrong or be the minority in a debate its all good talk imo. But sometimes its better left alone and I see this is one of those times.

Sponsor

Staff online