• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Skier and Snowboarder Demographics?

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
Yes it it pretty common as backpackers get into middle age that what we lay on becomes less pleasant. And that is more so with those that weigh more since pressures against the body are greater. At 5'6" 137# 22 BMI, I only weigh about 10 pounds more than at age 30 so am not representative of the issue. As a twentysomething I could sleep atop granite bedrock with just a thin closed cell foam pad but in this era need to use an air mattress type pad that in my case is a NeoAir Thermarest or will become sore.

I do tend to agree with you about older folks not skiing for reasons other than being able to perform though that is obviously part of that. In post's above, I added to what you said about logistics with the lack of others to ski with versus more gregarious activities and the issue of skills decreasing if one doesn't have enough days in. For those that are not locals of mountain communities and have to travel hours that is certainly an issue. Then ATLSkier added the issue of aches and pains.

Numbers of retired folk are not wealthy so they may have to deal with being frugal and skiing is obviously more often than not a rather expensive leisure activity. Another issue no one has mentioned is quite a lot of younger skiers are all about challenging terrain, improving skills, or race competition without much interest in actually enjoying the sensations. After a decade or two they plateau out, reach 40, and then what? It may be more difficult out in the east because the lack of softer snow conditions and in places where snowfalls are low with few occasional opportunities for fresh powder skiing.

Varmintmist

Bear, with furnture.
Skier
Since I came back at 49 (53 now) I REALLY like the 5 hour flex option at the hill I like. Buy midweek, on line, ahead of time and you can get a pretty good deal. With a 5hr flex. I can take a vaca day, leave the house at 7, get to the hill at opening, ski for 5, since it is a good deal If I quit early, my Scottish side doesnt kick in. Same for night skiing. 2H off and I can ski for 4H and still get home, put the gear up and hit the rack before midnight.

I have worked alone outside for 30 years. It works for me because while I can be social, the day is just as good (or better) if the only conversation I have is with the lady who made my sub and consists of, "thank you".
I used to be in much better shape and stuff hurts when I do "that" now. So I dont do "that". I have nothing to prove. Climbing poles and jumping on and off of trucks and equipment means that the knees are not going to do moguls and ungroomed makes me work hard. So what?
I get colder now, or maybe I just care now. I can afford stuff now also. Thus the Hotronic foot heaters I installed 2 weeks ago. I have a new good coat that is a little light for cold night skiing, so I put a 32 y/o Wooley Pulley under it. Best of both worlds.

When I came back to skiing, I was asked "Why would you do that.?" and I said because I dont know how much longer I can. My father is 85, he really didnt start to go downhill substantially until 80 and is still kicking OK. I figure I have till 72-75 to get in the stuff that I worked for. Ski trip west to ski WA again is in 2 weeks. The VT trip will be booked again as soon as they take reservations, and probably one in NY for next season.

x10003q

Out on the slopes
Skier
I've all but given up on the multi day hike trips. Not because of the hiking so much as that I can't get a regenerative night's rest on anything thinner than a decent air mattress that requires a small hand pump and weighs way more than a real hiking pad. Hammock is also no good because I can't sleep on my back. My back is pretty messed up as well but I can usually manage the hiking and gear carrying other than that. No more sleeping on a thin foam or mostly foam with a little air mat for me though..

Again, it's not the actual skiing that deters most. I don't think I've ever been with anyone on the mountain who after their first run said.. "gosh, I wish I hadn't come skiing at all today. I should have just stayed home" unless they happened to wreck themselves in a horrible crash. Once we're booted up and on the lift skiing is still the best thing anyone can do fully clothed, even in not so great shape with a bad back and all. It's the logistics of getting to that point in the outing that causes folks to start blowing off plans and change hobbies..

Skiing has always been a logistical pain in the ass. It is not hard to find reasons to bail. Throw in some distance for some skiing that you find marginal and it is easy to stop skiing. We are about 1.5-2 hours from the Catskills (Hunter/Belleayre/Plattekill/Windham) and 3-4 hours from Gore and southern VT. These are all still reasonable areas for us. If I were in your shoes, I would feel the same way.

One thing that helps is we ski a lot with my brother and sisters and their families. That really helps motivate us to go since we always have a good time together and the cousins always have a good time together. We have been skiing together for around 45 years.:D
20180121_095503.jpg

This was the 4 of us a couple of weekends ago at Stratton.

Last edited:

Sponsor