• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Ski the Southeast and Mid Atlantic Meet-up Thread 2016

Old boot

Getting on the lift
Skier
If I get to fly out of SD Friday I might do Sugar on Sat before flying to WB Sunday

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Was going to ski Tues or Wed but contractor took those days away to replace Hurricane Matthew damage. Might go up Thursday morning for a couple hours if it isn't all melted again. Sugar would be the target destination Thursday.

@MattD I'm not 100% but it is possible if the home repairs are finished. I won't know until late Wednesday evening if I'm cleared for take off.

MattD

aka Hobbes429
Skier
Was going to ski Tues or Wed but contractor took those days away to replace Hurricane Matthew damage. Might go up Thursday morning for a couple hours if it isn't all melted again. Sugar would be the target destination Thursday.

@MattD I'm not 100% but it is possible if the home repairs are finished. I won't know until late Wednesday evening if I'm cleared for take off.

I'm starting my Christmas travels on Thursday, so looks like first opportunity for me will be just after New Year's day.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
There were a couple thin spots on high traffic areas at Sugar today. Temps were in the 40s but they still tried to run the guns... blowing only fog and mist. I guess they were hoping it would freeze when it hit the snow? I think I heard rain is coming tomorrow. They weren't even close to 100% open and were losing ground rather than gaining. The rest of December will be a real challenge to keep the bulllwheels turning. :nono:

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Eyeing Monday as a possibility. However, Heat Miser's aiming at us with temp in the 40s and rain 80% NC resorts, 60% Wintergreen. I'll check it again tomorrow night and make the go or no go call then. I'll probably give it a go if one of the places looks 40% or less chance of rain. 50% or above will be an abort. MLK Day and probably Sunday is 95% go but destination will be up to the boy scout troop committee.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Scouts appear to be pushing back to Presiden't Day. I'm only off MLK Monday so we're heading up to App/Beech/Sugar, some combination Sunday the 15th-Monday the 16th. Room in Boone is booked so we're committed!

Old boot

Getting on the lift
Skier
Would this be Jan 15-16? us Canadians don't know too much about presidents day or MLK day as far as dates go. but I might make Sunday next weekend. Keep me in the loop

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Would this be Jan 15-16? us Canadians don't know too much about presidents day or MLK day as far as dates go. but I might make Sunday next weekend. Keep me in the loop
We've got a room at the Super 8 in Boone Sunday night. We will drive up mid day Sunday then head back Monday afternoon. Which resort when is probably dependent on how late we shove off Sunday morning.. Easier to drop in to Appalachian later in the morning/lunch time than Beech or Sugar. Will probably hit one of those for a longer session Monday. I'll shoot you a text Saturday night and again on the way Sunday to give you our attack plans. With the girl it also makes sense to start at Happy Appy. She is just starting to get comfortable with the blues there and did make it down Big Apple once last time we were there. I don't think she is ready for the blues at the top of Beech or Sugar yet, but getting there. Hoping two days this month and 3 next month will get her the mileage she needs for the confidence required to tackle real blues.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Appalachian Sunday, about ten(ish) am til 4(ish) then Sugar Monday 9(ish) til 3-4(ish) is probably the plan this weekend MLK day.

Old boot

Getting on the lift
Skier
Watching my work schedule, might be out of town ,might be skiing . Will post ASAP when I know for sure. Would love to join you all

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Watching my work schedule, might be out of town ,might be skiing . Will post ASAP when I know for sure. Would love to join you all

Sure, would be lots of fun skiing our little happy appy hills Sunday. If Big Birch still has snow Monday we'll try Sugar. Andrea isn't quite ready for switchback chaos though and there's no other easy blues there that don't require access from Switchback.. Oma's/Sugar Slalom isn't open at all right now but Big Birch is. I had fun skiing that last time when I got tired at the end of the day.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Total SLUSHFEST NC skiing this weekend. Got down to the mud today.

Last edited:

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Skiing Sugar Saturday with the scouts. Will be out in front of the main lodge at 1PM to gather as a group. @Older boot holla if ya hear me..

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I will look for you ,looks like ill make it.
Cool. We will keep an eye out for you. I'll be in a green jacket and purple pants with wild purple, red, yellow, and green Pro Am gloves. Skiing twin tips. Same helmet as usual but new GoPro on top.. . Yep, wife bought me one for Christmas. Scouts are expecting me to get some video of them doing mad trix n stuff to share on the troop website hahaha..

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Hope to be booting up at the lot around 10am. Will look for you and the scout peeps on the mountain. If all else fails, meet us in front of the lodge and 6 pack at 1pm. It might be very crowded and hard to connect but maybe not..