• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
My skis are always sitting with their tails on the ground. I don't have enough wall space for your fancy buttons or hang'ems. :ogcool:

20141205_131904.jpg

This is a slightly dated photo of my skis, but this is where most of the active skis and some of the waiting to for storage skis hang out 24/7/365.

20161124_182453_Queen Of The West Road.jpg

The museum long storage. There are two of these.

20170921_181229_Queen Of The West Road.jpg

These are in my living room in a rack like @Started at 53 bought. My racks were free, though, and only handle skinny skis.

museum.jpg

Then there are these, also in the living room.

20141205_131807.jpg

Then there are these just kind of hanging around.

So many options. So little space. ogsmile

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Please note, I merged the two storage threads.

Handlebars

Booting up
Skier
A couple of spare 5/4x 6 deck boards and a couple of 2x4s laying around became this.

Attachments

• 0D6C76B4-A878-4012-AD3B-BE7BA57A347E.jpeg
    0D6C76B4-A878-4012-AD3B-BE7BA57A347E.jpeg
    80.8 KB · Views: 212

Tim Flanagan

SkiGearTV
SkiTalk Tester
Organizing skis can be a PITA so @Andy Mink and I bounced some ideas off of each other while walking the aisles of Home Depot and came with a wall rack that will hold 14 pair of skis organized and safely...all for about $20.00

1 2x3
1 1x3 (cut in 3" lengths)
5 3/8x5" lag bolts
28 Deck Screws
Wood Glow Glue
Belt Sander

The part that takes the longest was shaping the 3" 1x3's to be shaped like a ski boot toe lug.

View attachment 29386 View attachment 29387 View attachment 29388 View attachment 29389 View attachment 29390

The skis hang safely away from the wall and no risk of falling over. It is also handy for when I am tuning the skis.

Now to finish off the rest of the walls so I can put more skis up.

Tim Flanagan

SkiGearTV
SkiTalk Tester
I've been hanging my skis from the ceiling since the late 70's. The pair goes side-by-side with the binders facing down.

The theory being that the weight of the binders will help maintain the ski's camber, especially during long-term storage. Gravity does the work.

The benefit of saving wall space goes without saying.

Four bike hooks, two galvanized pipes and foam pipe insulation is all that's needed. Assembly time is about 15 minutes including the argument as to who's side of the garage the skis will hang over.

The only downside is that over the summer months, dirt accumulates on the ski bases, but I throw so much storage wax on my quiver that it goes on the floor after scraping anyway.

I've never had a rack rip outta the ceiling and one if them has 10 pair hanging from it.
20171228_095906.jpg

If I could figure out how to organize the rest of the garage I might be able to save my marriage, but this is a good first step.
20171228_095405.jpg

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
I've been hanging my skis from the ceiling since the late 70's. The pair goes side-by-side with the binders facing down.

The theory being that the weight of the binders will help maintain the ski's camber, especially during long-term storage. Gravity does the work.

The benefit of saving wall space goes without saying.

Four bike hooks, two galvanized pipes and foam pipe insulation is all that's needed. Assembly time is about 15 minutes including the argument as to who's side of the garage the skis will hang over.

The only downside is that over the summer months, dirt accumulates on the ski bases, but I throw so much storage wax on my quiver that it goes on the floor after scraping anyway.

I've never had a rack rip outta the ceiling and one if them has 10 pair hanging from it.

I thought about doing this in my garage but my ceilings are 10' high and I didn't want to get the ladder down everytime I wanted to acess my skis... I am going to build one of these for my scrap lumber however.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Ya, too much heat and humidity here for garage or shed storage unless the garage is very well insulated and fully climate controlled.

Tim Flanagan

SkiGearTV
SkiTalk Tester
I thought about doing this in my garage but my ceilings are 10' high and I didn't want to get the ladder down everytime I wanted to acess my skis... I am going to build one of these for my scrap lumber however.
I simply slide the tips up over one rod/pipe then use an old broom between the brake treadle and the heel piece to slide the tails up and over the other side. To be honest, my daughter did slip and dropped the tail of her ski on her head, but being the horrible parent that I am, I handed her a bag of ice and said, "You won't be making that mistake again!", which has also worked well so far...

My garage ceiling is 10' as well, so nothing hits the rack like roof-top carriers, SUP boards attached to the car rack and so on. It is heated in the winter, so it's kinda like a "Hot Box" for wax, haha. But nice a cool in the summer with very low humidity so we never get rust on the edges.

cmackvt

Putting on skis
Skier
Thanks for the great idea and plans for building ski storage. Skied yesterday and decided to stay in out of the cold today. Got bored, started reading this forum and decided to build a rack for my skis out of scrap lumber stashed in the basement. Even built a cleat for my AT skis. Need more room but that can wait until the summer when I can get rid of more junk from the basement. I should have added a Pugski sticker before I took the picture!!!

IMG_0630.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0630.JPG
    IMG_0630.JPG
    72.4 KB · Views: 172

MarkP

Saturday, and Saturday, and Saturday...
Skier

SkiMore

Getting on the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
These are very nice storage racks. Here is the rack I recently put together. It is not nearly as sleek and streamlined as the examples posted, but it works for my garage situation. I tried to squeeze as much storage as possible in the small space using hooks, holes for storing the poles, and shelves for boots and other stuff. It is not pretty but it is functional.

Attachments

• rack2.jpg
    rack2.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 160
  • rack3.jpg
    rack3.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 162

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Dang, boots in the garage??:eek: Not so bad if climate controlled, with AC in the summer and heat in the winter.. Still not cool having those exhaust fumes soaking in to the boot liners if it could be avoided..

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I'm going to build one of @Philpug / @Andy Mink 's ski racks for a friend. The 2x3 is the rail and the 3" side determines the spacing from the wall, right? and the tails/heel pieces hit the wall by design, right? I don't have time to experiment so I'm asking in hopes of making the job quick and easy. Do you have dimensions for the simulated boot lug piece?

Thanks. I'm hoping if this goes well I'll get some of these built for the shop, too. We need more space!

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid