• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

apache

Booting up
Inactive
Hi Skiers,

Looking for your recommendations/experiences with one of the dedicated ski shippers in lieu of the airlines. I use Bike Flights to get my MTB bike shipped on trips. Much cheaper than using the airlines. Is there a similar company that does the same with skis?

Thanks!
G

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I've known people to ship their skis in their sport tube or simply box them up. I've found cost for shipping skis via fedex ground to be cheapest ranging from $60-70 depending on location.

SallyCat

Getting off the lift
Skier
I just boxed a pair of 177cm skis with bindings and shipped them from Pennsylvania to Idaho for $34 via FedEx.

A shipping/packaging company will usually allow you to ship to their store for a small fee. I paid $5 to ship a bunch of camping equipment to myself in CA last summer.

PTskier

Been goin' downhill for years....
Pass Pulled
A local ski shop is a source for an empty cardboard box to ship the skis, or a local package shipping store may have one (UPS Store, etc.). Size the box so you can get your skis in them tops-to-tops, not bottom-to-bottom. Put lots of bubble wrap around any part that may punch through the box. Take a roll of tape with you so you can repackage the skis for the return shipment home.

David

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Skier
If it's a 1 time thing find a shop with a box & padding. If it's going to be a regular thing for ski trips get a plastic tube that locks and ship to the hotel. Just let them know what you're doing first.

silverback

Talking a lot about less and less
Skier
I just boxed a pair of 177cm skis with bindings and shipped them from Pennsylvania to Idaho for $34 via FedEx.

A shipping/packaging company will usually allow you to ship to their store for a small fee. I paid $5 to ship a bunch of camping equipment to myself in CA last summer.

How did you get the $34 FedEx rate? I've been working on my ski rack and have sold eight pairs of skis this year. $50-60 seems to be the going rate for me to get them back east. I do always get hit with a declared value fee, I like the insurance, but it is usually just a few dollars.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

How did you get the $34 FedEx rate? I've been working on my ski rack and have sold eight pairs of skis this year. $50-60 seems to be the going rate for me to get them back east. I do always get hit with a declared value fee, I like the insurance, but it is usually just a few dollars.

Yeah, I would like to know this trick, too!

silverback

Talking a lot about less and less
Skier
I'm only one state away from @SallyCat and I was talking here to east coast. $40ish is about right if we are talking west coast or mountains.

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
Good info folks, thanks. I don't trust airlines either. Would be doing 2 skis that would be nice to fit in one box. logistics carrying baggage with a boot bag as well as skis gets awkward. Better to pick them up at leisure after leaving an airport in a rental car.

MountainMonster

~0~
Skier
Looking to ship from so.cal. To Vermont:
$60.00 USPS
$98.00. Ups via private postal store
$101.00 ups store

anyone have another option ?

Last edited:

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I use Fedex almost exclusively to ship skis. Price ranges from $34-70 depending on where they were going. Last shipment I had cross country was from Connecticut to California or Washington, can't remember which and the cost was just a hair over $70. Every time I've gotten a quote from UPS I've ended up walking out and heading to Fedex. Do you have a FedEx/Kinkos or a FedEx shipping store near you?

Last edited:

lone pine

Getting on the lift
Skier
I paid about $70 to ship a pair from Rutland VT to Steamboat last season. I used FedEx Ground and my Sporttube. On the return, I paid the airline fee, as I didn't have easy access to FedEx, it being a weekend.

MountainMonster

~0~
Skier
I use Fedex almost exclusively to ship skis. Price ranges from $34-70 depending on where they were going. Last shipment I had cross country was from to California or Washington, can't remember which and the cost was just a hair over $70. Every time I've gotten a quote from UPS I've ended up walking out and heading to Fedex. Do you have a FedEx/Kinkos or a FedEx shipping store near you?

The private postal store checked all options, fedex include, all at the $100+ mark.
Looks like usps is the cheapest option in my case.
Thanks for the response.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
When we flew to Calgary last month we checked in our skis on Air Canada and had zero issues. We used a Dakine padded double ski bag and it worked great. It was our first time flying with skis and it was very painless. Doing it again when we head to Tahoe next month.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
The private postal store checked all options, fedex include, all at the $100+ mark.

There's an upcharge for all of those because they're providing you the service of not having go to FedEx.

I've found calculators online that let you specify weight and dimensions, and they give you the charge for the various shipping options. I'm too lazy to go find one right now.