• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Ski Rack for leaning skis against wall

hbear

Out on the slopes
Skier
A bit of an odd question.

I'm looking for a ski rack or something I can use as a ski rack for the workshop in my garage.
We have a lot of wall space that is dedicated to propping skis up (similar to what you would see in WC tuning areas) and just looking to tweak the setup a bit so that we don't have a cascade of fallen skis if one tips over. (e.g. have some sort of divider to keep skis upright in case that happens)

No need to hang, looking to store flat (instead of on edge) so I can lean with bindings down to dry out binders. Only in use during season.

I found this image from Starthaus....(we might have somebody with inside knowledge :) and it's pretty much exactly what I'm looking for.
race-training-prep.jpg

The question is, what is it called and where do I find it?

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
That looks like a custom made item. 1/4" steel strap with 1/2" diameter steel rods welded to it. Take that photo to your local residential iron work guy and they will more than happy to make one up for you.

You can also make up one with the similar design with 2/4" wood dowels and a piece of 2x6.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
A bit of an odd question.

I'm looking for a ski rack or something I can use as a ski rack for the workshop in my garage.
We have a lot of wall space that is dedicated to propping skis up (similar to what you would see in WC tuning areas) and just looking to tweak the setup a bit so that we don't have a cascade of fallen skis if one tips over. (e.g. have some sort of divider to keep skis upright in case that happens)

No need to hang, looking to store flat (instead of on edge) so I can lean with bindings down to dry out binders. Only in use during season.

I found this image from Starthaus....(we might have somebody with inside knowledge :) and it's pretty much exactly what I'm looking for.
race-training-prep.jpg

The question is, what is it called and where do I find it?
I recognize the skis and the work ticket that I designed. I think those were custom made by Errol Kerr, Olympian and all around nice guy. The covers we some type of plastic tubing if I recall.

TS
H

hbear

Out on the slopes
Skier
Thanks, much appreciated.
Explains why I couldn't just find it off the shelf.

Don in Morrison

I Ski Better on Retro Day
Skier
My brain isn't wired to even look for an outside source for stuff like that. I automatically think, "Hey I can throw that together in an hour or so", and then I'm off to Home Depot.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks for re-posting that @Philpug! This thread reminded me that I forgot to order the last time it was posted and since skis have come out of summer storage, I need to get a handle on organization. For anyone else, looks like they have 20% off right now for a Labor Day sale.

TS
H

hbear

Out on the slopes
Skier
Found some great screw in vinyl coated ladder hooks at Home Depot that would work great for my purposes.

A nice 2x4 and can then simply screw in those ladder hooks as separators. (Also found some 8" lag bolts that would work if covered in plastic tubing)

Thanks for the inspiration.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I used pegboard and double arm hooks to hang my bindings on. That way I can move stuff around as needed, too.

A00Y_1_20130826157836902.jpg

Here is when it was just getting started; they are behind doors, now.

pegboard.png

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
  • dbostedo
    Asst. Gathermeister
  • Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January