• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
TS
Started at 53

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I'd do some homework on this before you make the final decision. In Summit and Eagle Counties (Breck / Copper / Keystone / Vail / Beaver Creek etc) the busiest weeks of the season are all the full weeks in March. The areas are a madhouse. Maybe some of the Pugski locals will chime in what what Aspen Crowds are like in March.

Thanks for the heads up on this one. I get back from work on March 5th and have the next couple of months off, so need to find a location to ski in Mid-March. I had really liked what I saw (I love FATMAPS) at Snowmass. I also really like the looks of Sun Peaks in BC too, but it is a biatch to get to from Florida. I have heard mixed things about Sun Valley for my ability level, but that is an attractive location too even though their ski in/ski out is limited. Ski in/Ski out is not a deal breaker, but Mrs. 53 much prefers it.

RuleMiHa

Out on the slopes
Skier
I am aware of how much Pass needs change from year to year and how priorities and opportunities shift. Last year I had a Max Pass which worked great. I skied at 6 MP resorts on both the east coast and west coast. This year is totally different and I just will have a local pass and sn A-Basin Pass. Next year, who knows, but having multiple options is good.

Nancy Hummel

Ski more, talk less.
Instructor
SkiTalk Supporter
Aspen crowds are nowhere near Summit/Eagle County crowds in March.

Snowmass is a great mountain for the OP. He can buy the 4 or 7 day Aspen Classic pass online which is reasonable. Plenty of ski in/out lodging at Snowmass.

TS
Started at 53

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Aspen crowds are nowhere near Summit/Eagle County crowds in March.

Snowmass is a great mountain for the OP. He can buy the 4 or 7 day Aspen Classic pass online which is reasonable. Plenty of ski in/out lodging at Snowmass.

Snowmass is high on my list, along with Sun Valley and Sun Peaks. Mrs. 53 is likely to vote DV

TonyC

Contact me at bestsnow.net
Pass Pulled
Snowmass is high on my list
It should be based upon what you have told us here.
1) Snowmass has tons of low intermediate terrain.
2) Most lodging is ski-in ski out.
3) Mid-March is a great time there for snow. Deer Valley is often in full-on spring mode by then.
4) Aspen/Snowmass seems crowd proof in terms of liftlines. You might have to plan ahead some of your Aspen dinners.

The Mountain Collective has been great for Liz. She averages 9 free days per season and another 10 or so half price, probably at least $1,500 in value for the initial $389 cost.

For advanced skiers, the Mountain Collective is still the most attractive group of resorts, though by a bit less margin now that Whistler and Stowe defected. It will be a big negative for us if Aspen/KSL split their resorts out of Mountain Collective for 2018-19.

Old boot

Getting on the lift
Skier
Well I again "Pimped "out my wife for a free Epic pass, so that's a no brainer. Some resorts have a visiting instructor price (is the reason I stay current right now) and Ill just beg for my supper er I mean sing for my supper and folks will beg me to stop for a meal.

at_nyc

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
I get the discount after the 3rd day of the “home mountain”, but it is still not a savings if you pay $489 and then 1/2 price form additional days.
I can’t imagine skiing without a pass, the average is what around 125.00 a day , 250.00 for you and your spouse, 500.00 for the weekend, those numbers are CRAZY.
Putting the numbers next to each other, you see the value of 1/2 price real easy.

It's really simple math. the $489 pass is paid for with 2 free days plus 4 days at 1/2 price. That's pretty much your typical 1-week stay. So basically, you break even in a 1-week trip.

Whatever other trips you take to another resort on the list will be 2 FREE days, plus whatever other days at 1/2 price.

Since the MCP has more than 10 resorts on the list, it's not too difficult to find 2 that fits anyone's fancy. What a lot of people do is to pick 2 each year and focus on those, rather than going all over the place to use up the free days.

My first year MCP use worked this way: One 1-week trip to Salt Lake area, which pretty much "redeemed" the full cost of the pass. Then a long weekend to Banff, for "free". Then, as that season turned out to be a super long one in Tahoe, I hop on a plane for another long weekend at Tahoe, a couple more "free" days as the icing on the cake.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
This might need a little more explanation (what was that Demi Moore, Robert Redford movie again?)

Ha!! It was "Indecent Proposal"... And @Lady_Salina is married to @Old boot and is an instructor at Whistler. Though they technically live in North Carolina, I think he might have encouraged her to keep teaching there in the winter, so he could keep his fringe benefits! Sounds "Indecent" to me. ogwink

Mike Rogers

Out on the slopes
Skier
MCP is very intriguing, but it doesn't make sense for me this year, and didn't last year either. I would definitely buy the pass if I had a trip planned to the US. I have skied Alta, Snowbird, and Jackson, and I would love to go back. Telluride, Aspen, Mammoth and Squaw are also on my "hit list". These places aren't affordable without a good discount!

I'm much more of a weekend warrior than vacationer though. I usually ski both days of the weekend, so a full season pass makes the most sense. I don't think I would be as enthusiastic about skiing every free day if I needed to pay for a lift ticket.

When I travel, I tend to follow "local" snow, so I have discount cards (or pass discounts) to all the other major areas in the region. I'm still working on Fridays and Mondays.

I would love to ski in the States again soon, but my partner is doing a second masters (time and money constraints) and the Canadian Peso makes things challenging.

The pass doesn't work for me, but if I skied less at my local, and traveled more for skiing, it would make perfect sense.

Sponsor

Staff online