• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Ski Mag Buyers' Guide

Jja12344

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Ski mags buyers guide. I'm always so excited to get my first ski magazine the end of August to read about the tests and opinions. But this one really sucked. I have been going to Copper and Winter Park to test for yrs. I'm not the best skier by no means, but wow, after reading thru it. I was wondering what I was reading and why I eve n read it. I got nothing in regards to good solid info out of it, other than according to them , everything was good. Especially for advertisement purposes. I will not renew my magazine.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
There's people who pay for it?

It just comes here for free, no renewal required. In fact, apparently I have two subscriptions this year. One year I was getting three! I don't even read it, just give it away.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I haven't seen a magazine yet.
Having moved to Tahoe 7 years ago, I used to get Ski and Skiing in the mailbox, but since the subscriptions were free from something I signed up for at a Warren Miller Movie, I never saw another magazine in my mailbox here. I occasionally see one that someone else has. I'll keep my eye open, but I don't feel like I'm missing anything, based on reports I'm seeing here.

I would have thought that, with Ski.net shutting down Skiing magazine, they would have put more effort into Ski Magazine. :huh:

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
They can actually be useful in the shop while people are waiting for fitting or in process. Good or bad, Ski Mag reviews often serve as 'confirmation' for buyers.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I go to the bookstore and get all three buyer guides at once, Ski, Powder, Freeskier (or whatever it's called). Every year, lately. Like a kid.

I like Powder and Freeskier best, because I like the distinctions of "freerider" and freestyler" categories (in Freeskier esp.), and I like the coverage of all those fatter skis I don't usually get exposed to.

Ski was the worst, just a head scratcher bad. They seem to come up with the same limited range of skis, presented more and more poorly. As if they are a record that is winding down. And it's not encouraging when in the "powder" category the only two skis you've been on (at least of the ones that interest you personally) they describe in a way that's unrecognizable, or just plain wrong.

Last edited:

kingsalami

Booting up
Skier
I haven't picked up SKI magazine in over a decade. It just doesn't present any info that's relevant to the type of skiing I like to do. Skiing magazine is/was? somewhat decent.
I concur on Power and Freeskier - they both do a really good job of providing helpful gear reviews for the type of skiing I prefer.
If you don't get stoked to go ski after thumbing through an issue of Powder, you must be dead.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I went to a book store and saw SkiMagazine on the rack. I was a little surprised how thin it is and how much it cost for a single issue. ($6.99)
Am I out of touch on publications like this?
What do magazines normally sell for on the rack?

TS
Tom K.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I went to a book store and saw SkiMagazine on the rack. I was a little surprised how thin it is and how much it cost for a single issue. ($6.99)
Am I out of touch on publications like this?
What do magazines normally sell for on the rack?

And nearly half of it is a Deer Valley "A to Z" add that is so annoying I cut it out!

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
@Tricia - costs even more in Canada. I did pick up Ski at the airport in Calgary on my way home. I have a subscription to Ski Canada. It should be on the cover what it costs. I'll check later.

I was annoyed too with the ad pages for Deer Valley. But the magazines are trying to cut their cuts with advertising. So if DV wants to spend that coin it, they're going to take it. Was the test run at DV? Because there could have been and a "give and take".

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
We have received FOUR copies of the publication. We have contacted SKI a number of times to suggest that one is plenty. I have no idea why. Have never paid a dime for it. Presume it has to do with season passes past, and present, USSA, etc.

At any rate, I decided to actually look at the Guide issue last night. Wow, pretty disappointing and I would say of very limited real objective value. It's really unfortunate that there are many skiers who do buy it, read it, and form opinions based on it.

I am 100% convinced that the "product" is very much driven by a business model trying to generate as much advertising income as possible. Watching it over the last 10 years or so, that seems clear. A number of brands noticeably absent, or minimal press, others hyped to a large degree.

Sad to hear comments that people do actually show up at shops having done their research with the guide.

I had a horrible time following it, reading it, and understanding the ratings. D job at best.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
We have received FOUR copies of the publication. We have contacted SKI a number of times to suggest that one is plenty. I have no idea why. Have never paid a dime for it. Presume it has to do with season passes past, and present, USSA, etc.

At any rate, I decided to actually look at the Guide issue last night. Wow, pretty disappointing and I would say of very limited real objective value. It's really unfortunate that there are many skiers who do buy it, read it, and form opinions based on it.

I am 100% convinced that the "product" is very much driven by a business model trying to generate as much advertising income as possible. Watching it over the last 10 years or so, that seems clear. A number of brands noticeably absent, or minimal press, others hyped to a large degree.

Sad to hear comments that people do actually show up at shops having done their research with the guide.

I had a horrible time following it, reading it, and understanding the ratings. D job at best.

I have to be honest, I have yet to see the issue. I would be interested in if the advertisers, the Deer Valley's and manufacturers have read this thread and have wondered if their money is well spent. Or are we who they are who they are looking to get as a customer? I am thinking not.

Since it was the same publisher ubrella that SKI & Skiing, when they closed the doors of Skiing they woudl have kept the cream of the content builders but it sounds like they went the bargain route. We saw what happened to Epic when we were released, the content dropped considerably...it looks like same is happening at SKI is getting the quality of content that they are paying for. The question is, are their advertisers getting what they are paying for?

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
The A-Z Deer Valley guide in the middle of the issue was enough to make sure that I never go to Deer Valley.

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Sadly, I think most magazines of this type (pick your sport) are driven by advertising $$$

Only a small percentage of any sports participants are knowledgeable enough to realize these pieces are self serving

But, because we DO go to DV, I did find some info regarding restaurants etc that will be helpful in December when we are there for 9 days

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
I have to be honest, I have yet to see the issue. I would be interested in if the advertisers, the Deer Valley's and manufacturers have read this thread and have wondered if their money is well spent. Or are we who they are who they are looking to get as a customer? I am thinking not.

Since it was the same publisher ubrella that SKI & Skiing, when they closed the doors of Skiing they woudl have kept the cream of the content builders but it sounds like they went the bargain route. We saw what happened to Epic when we were released, the content dropped considerably...it looks like same is happening at SKI is getting the quality of content that they are paying for. The question is, are their advertisers getting what they are paying for?

I suspect that the issue behind the curtain is that a couple-few years ago, they might have been in a bit of a mess. Let's just say that the testing and rating was pretty much transparent, and that some of the bigger spenders on advertising did not see their skis fare that well. Then, to add insult to that injury, the better rated skis often were coming from companies with NO advertising spend in the publication.

You also have the "sniff test", with fairly knowledgeable skiers wondering how skis that typically fare incredibly well, and have almost owned categories, barely show up....or are rated as very average.

It would be interesting to see how many subscriptions are sold, and how many single copies are sold. I have this opinion that a lot of trees are killed and that many copies arrive in the mail and are never read.

@Philpug, you should scan it for a half hour over a cocktail. I was thinking about the days when SKIING published their equipment guides, and in particular their "bible" for shop employees, and others in the business. It covered it all. That was what? 30-40 years ago? Things "evolve."

No question any review, and information, research, opinion and objective help form a source like this is multitudes better than what you get in that publication.

Hope that the word continues to get out and that the Google machine and SEO sends more people this way.

The DV "order" was placed a long time ago. Enjoy that, as you will never see it again. I would LOVE to know the price tag on that, and how SKI possible measures the value of it. People who I know who ski at DV are not making the decision based on SKI!

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Sponsor

Staff online