• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Ski Mag Buyers' Guide

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Bought it on a whim in the grocery store.

Seems to be even more of an ad catalog than ever.

The overall scores are nearly impossible to read, they are so light, and the tables of ratings in various areas have been removed.

I used to like this mag for ONE thing, and that was the fact that they gave "crud" ratings to each ski, which I prioritize, being an unabashed resort skier. I like having fun after the Hour of Powder is over!

RIP!

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Hmmmm. Is Print Dead?

petersen-web-vs-magazines-2-72dpi-jpg.15914

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
Bought it on a whim in the grocery store.

Seems to be even more of an ad catalog than ever.

The overall scores are nearly impossible to read, they are so light, and the tables of ratings in various areas have been removed.

I used to like this mag for ONE thing, and that was the fact that they gave "crud" ratings to each ski, which I prioritize, being an unabashed resort skier. I like having fun after the Hour of Powder is over!

RIP!

I thought it was just my degrading eyes. The tables are horrible. Seriously, what editor approved this layout??

TS
Tom K.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I thought it was just my degrading eyes. The tables are horrible. Seriously, what editor approved this layout??

Exactly. I emailed the editor, and got a LONG response, including the fact that they had received so much negative feedback, they would be putting the complete ranking tables on their website.

It also included a long-winded explanation that I cynically translated to "The losing ski companies were sick of their skis not selling as well as the winners, and threatened to pull their advertising".

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
As a Pugski tester, I find it interesting to read certain lauded skis and thinking, "I tested that ski and it really wasn't all that great" or "I tested that ski and absolutely loved it" when they didn't like it or made comments about the skis performance that I absolutely disagreed with. :)

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
As a Pugski tester, I find it interesting to read certain lauded skis and thinking, "I tested that ski and it really wasn't all that great" or "I tested that ski and absolutely loved it" when they didn't like it or made comments about the skis performance that I absolutely disagreed with. :)
There are many time I read other reviews and think "Did they even ski the same ski???"

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
^^^^ Thought the same thing myself on some of the reviews.
Free copy got sent because i attended the warren Miller flick preview last fall.
It's the 1st time I remember seeing any write ups on the Indie and BC brands.

Did take away a promo for the new Thule boot backpack, I may have to pick up and try to cram in the overhead compartment on this winters flights :D

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
It lives in the ski van for passengers who want to flip through things.

But they removed rocker shots this year. I could care less about shots of the topsheets. Give me rocker profile shots or give me death.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
I would say this is the worst edition of the Buyers Guide that Ski has ever produced.

That's a mighty low bar to get under, but I have to agree -- this issue was even more useless than normal.

I "liked" how they provide the "best two scores" for each ski, but didn't give any information regarding how it did in the other categories. Or even what the various categories were.

I have no idea why I even get "Ski" magazine. I can't ever remember subscribing to it. Maybe because I got a Mountain Collective Pass? Or an epic pass? Or because I ski race? Or because I walked into a ski shop and Big Brother was watching?

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
They jumped the shark big time trying to appease the manufacturers A guide that doesnt guide. There really arent any bad skis out there (maybe a couple) so just tell people its strenghts and who its for or not for-- or just read the pug reviews.

Jed Peters

World's Most "Okayest" Skier
Skier
Funny listening to you guys rattle on about whether or not print is dead or skis that aren't liked, etc.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
You'd all be amazed at the pull these reviews have with less obsessed, but still passionate skiers. If you work in a shop, you ignore them at your peril, disagree or not. There are also some IMHO accurate, if highly truncated to the point of useless, tidbits as well. No intro of ski testers in the mag this year, yet they're often quoted. And yes, it can still trigger that first trip of the new season to the local shops... Boot reviews, don't get me started. I look at the pictures. ogsmile

SpikeDog

You want Big Air, kid?
Skier
Powder and Ski have their gear issues out, and one is usable and one is not. The SKI ski reviews are in alphabetical order - took me awhile to figure out that Atomic didn't have the top rated ski in each category (or that Volkl wasn't the worst).

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
It'd be great example of problematic design for a graphic communication class.

Sponsor