• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

SnowCountry

Booting up
Skier
Anybody consider starting a podcast covering weekly ski conditions at their favorite resort?

I've found that the mountain-produced ski condition reports are a bit lacking in honesty. It's hard to say if they are simply "optimistic" or "dishonest" but they are useless for trying to ascertain what actual conditions will be like at the mountain.

I'm thinking about starting a weekly podcast to describe what ski conditions were like after each weekend of skiing, and perhaps a second report before the weekend describing what happened weather-wise during the week

I'm wondering if anyone has tried this, or thought about trying this, and seeing what the pitfalls or benefits might be?

I suppose the biggest risk is that the owners of my favorite ski hill don't like what I say, I might lose season pass privileges there! That'd be bad!

Jully

Putting on skis
Skier
That is a really good idea. Not sure I have the time myself for something like that, but I would absolutely listen to someone else's podcast on the topic.

All in all there is a general lack of informative skiing podcasts out there anyway!

I don't think a resort would remove season pass privileges. If they are scared of what you say about conditions impacting business, I would image they would be even more scared of the negative publicity surrounding you reporting that you were kicked out of the resort!

Eddie S

Putting on skis
Skier
A fantastic idea! It would be especially useful for the many of us who do not live near the mountains, but who can escape there when conditions are good.

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Do you mean like Chris Tomer, with "Tomers Take". Every Wednesday he puts out a little 2 minute video of what storms are passing through in the upcoming week, and his take on where he would ski on different days.
I find it entertaining , I dont know if anyone else shares my view

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Welcome to the ski reporting club. Grew up listening to the Roxy Rothafel reports on the radio. Been publishing my report on Killington conditions for years with a huge following numbered in the dozens. Very low demand but folks that do find your report will appreciate your efforts. Years back sitting on the couch going over the details of the ski day with my wife she turned to me and said " I ski every day with you and listen politely to your ramblings but at this point in the evening I really could care less then to listen to any ski talk". So I poured my daily treasure trove of mountain tidbits into a blog. Requires commitment to continue publishing a decent report so fasten your seat belt for the long haul. Was shocked when one of my co-workers said his friends refuse to come skiing for the weekend until they have read my report. Good luck on your journey and better let Halley O'Brien know that there is a new kid on the block.

Last edited:

Phelmut

German for Northeasterner
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Where is your blog GIS? Are you talking about your posts here?

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Where is your blog GIS? Are you talking about your posts here?
Cross post the same report on Killingtonzone, Facebook as "Guy In Shorts" and here on Pugski on the Resorts Forum for Killington. Have developed a slightly unique first person style that makes for a quick easy read.

Sponsor

Staff online