• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I still have a 1982 USSA Competition Manual/Guide. Here's definitions and degree of difficulty scores for Ballet, Aerials, and Moguls! LOL that I still have this and was able to actually find it..
WP_20180227_001.jpg
WP_20180227_003.jpg
WP_20180227_004.jpg
WP_20180227_005.jpg
WP_20180227_006.jpg
WP_20180227_007.jpg
WP_20180227_008.jpg

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I enjoyed doing some of the ballet moves as it was good for balance and coordination, though I never competed or had any desire to. I forgot mention I was on 210’s and 203’s so some of the moves required a real stretch hence the improvement in balance. :D

Freaq

Pretends to be local
Skier
I have no insight into the competitive future of ...acroski.... but I have seen, on three separate occasions this year, ballet moves being performed (on purpose) at Winter Park.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I have no insight into the competitive future of ...acroski.... but I have seen, on three separate occasions this year, ballet moves being performed (on purpose) at Winter Park.
You should give it a try :popcorn:

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I wonder if ballet becomes more popular in poor snow seasons when people get bored with the lack of powder and overload of packed, groomed terrain?

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
I think snow blades + poles + park features has potential. Also with a partner or more.

Team snow/ski ballet?

Last edited:

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Ballet would also add some fun and difficulty back in to indoor ski hills.. Gotta be as fun as 8 moguls in a row..

Don in Morrison

I Ski Better on Retro Day
Skier
I still have a 1982 USSA Competition Manual/Guide. Here's definitions and degree of difficulty scores for Ballet, Aerials, and Moguls! LOL that I still have this and was able to actually find it..
View attachment 40310 View attachment 40311 View attachment 40312 View attachment 40313 View attachment 40314 View attachment 40315 View attachment 40316
Really hard to associate the term "freestyle" with so many rules.

I never got to the point of doing axels or pole flips. Tip rolls were the only thing I did that got both feet off the ground. There are some things I could do back then that I can't now. Arthritis and all that, y'know.

When I was skiing at WP, I only saw one other person doing ballet. I'd like to meet up with those folks that @Freaq saw there. I've been at Granby Ranch the past couple of seasons, skiing with a grandkid and being the only old school free-dogger at the whole joint.

Karen_skier2.0

AKA - RX2SKI
Skier

There are several people over there that are associated with the current mogul programs that did ballet "back in the day".

Karen_skier2.0

AKA - RX2SKI
Skier
I wonder if ballet becomes more popular in poor snow seasons when people get bored with the lack of powder and overload of packed, groomed terrain?

Unfortunately, with the limited amount of trails that were open, there is congestion on the easier trails. You want a nicely groomed, gentle slope for a ballet run. Although, if you just want to do a trick here and there, you don't need much.

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
Although I enjoy watching mogul competitions in the current decades old turns/speed/air format, like crgildart, don't think it ideal. Has become too far removed from typical recreational mogul skiing that I've always felt has a strong fun element that speed kills. But without speed, fun is not something easily judged. And the monotonous consistent machine made bump lines are boring. As a spectator, I would prefer to watch someone making efficient smooth turns on random skier evolved bumps, having fun with more traditional small air tricks and then at the bottom flats pull out some ballet tricks. Though obviously not the kind of casual competition fit for Olympic sport status. Winners instead get free season passes at a list of supporting resorts.

Last edited:
TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Although I enjoy watching mogul competitions in the current decades old turns/speed/air format, like crgildart, don't think it ideal. Has become too far removed from typical recreational mogul skiing that I've always felt has a strong fun element that speed kills. But without speed, fun is not something easily judged. And the monotonous consistent machine made bump lines are boring. As a spectator, I would prefer to watch someone making efficient smooth turns, having fun with more traditional small air tricks and then at the bottom flats pull out some ballet tricks. Though obviously not the kind of casual competition fit for Olympic sport status. Winners instead get free season passes at a list of supporting resorts.
I have talked to numerous former competitors that all have said that the addition of "speed" to the scoring has been the biggest change in moguls...for the worse.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I have talked to numerous former competitors that all have said that the addition of "speed" to the scoring has been the biggest change in moguls...for the worse.

Umm, they've been comparing times for each competitor (AKA speed) since the early 1980s. See pages 48-49 from the above USSA 1982 Freestyle Competition Guide above. I agree a few of the old school retired folks coaching might still remember the pre speed competition days, but not many. Speed was a component way before anyone was even using seeded bumps.

That said, if it were me I'd get rid of the clock AND seeded bumps AND pre built jumps and just make it about skiing good olde natty bumps.

Ecimmortal

Getting off the lift
Skier
Really hard to associate the term "freestyle" with so many rules.

I never got to the point of doing axels or pole flips. Tip rolls were the only thing I did that got both feet off the ground. There are some things I could do back then that I can't now. Arthritis and all that, y'know.

When I was skiing at WP, I only saw one other person doing ballet. I'd like to meet up with those folks that @Freaq saw there. I've been at Granby Ranch the past couple of seasons, skiing with a grandkid and being the only old school free-dogger at the whole joint.

Not to metnion the current state of freestyle skiing is pretty much a direct result of williful defiance of those rules.

Sponsor