• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
Three of them.

http://www.grindtv.com/skiing/3-ski-areas-you-can-buy-right-now/

Blacktail
Maple Valley
Marshall

I am wondering about this statement, though:
"Just 7 miles outside of Missoula, Marshall Mountain offers a unique opportunity to own a slice of ski history within a snowball’s throw of Montana’s state capital."

Do they think Missoula is our capital? Or that 113 miles is a snowball's throw?

Last edited:

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
It's Montana, Sib, think BIG!

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Pretty funny. Maple Valley has not operated in close to 20 years. So, it might take a bit more work than paint and grease to operate. And it pretty much closed because people would blow right by it on the way to Stratton, Bromley, etc. I think it was lack of skiers.

One of our friends bought a smaller area about 20 years ago. It was close to closing, and he had grown up skiing there, and owned a house there. Great place for little kids, about an hour from his home. He decided to go to the auction, and when the gavel was hammered, he owned it. Did not tell his wife until he got home that night, as I recall.

I thought he was borderline nuts. But he's a smart guy. He knew two things. He knew exactly what it was worth as timberland, if things turned that way. He had paid for some advice on how much logging could be done without disturbing the ski area itself. And he learned that it was too small a parcel for the real big guys to bother with, and that the paper business locally was in a slump, so the local guys would not be bidding. His fall back was to become a lumber baron.

Turned out that the area did pretty well, and he eventually sold it for a very modest profit, considering what he put into it. Probably his time worked out to about $.02 a hour. Place is going great guns these days. Nice to see. Key, I think, is that it never closed.

Maple Valley? $950K is wishful thinking, but you have not start somewhere. Ha! Last time I pulled I there to let our dogs out of the car was about 10 years ago. The rental shop, closed for 10 years was full of rental skis and bindings. FULL. Buyer will need a big dumpster and more. Wonder what scrap lift towers fetch?

And on Missoula, classic. Just classic!

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Whitecap in Wisconsin has been for sale for years. Bank basically it going for the last two. Closed this season though. Hidden gem that needs good owners and marketing.

Norway mtn is for sale in the U.P. and will be open.

Tyrol Basin in Wis. Is for sale too and will be open.

Last few years have been harder with Jan. thaws. :(

stan51

Getting on the lift
Skier
Marshall Mtn. suffered from low elevation. It's summit is about 5500 feet or so, maybe less. Montana Snowbowl, the other local hill, has a base at 5000 and tops out around 7600. The climate trend is not in Marshall's favor.

RuleMiHa

Out on the slopes
Skier
Whitecap in Wisconsin has been for sale for years. Bank basically it going for the last two. Closed this season though. Hidden gem that needs good owners and marketing.

Norway mtn is for sale in the U.P. and will be open.

Tyrol Basin in Wis. Is for sale too and will be open.

Last few years have been harder with Jan. thaws. :(

If anybody wants to buy Norway Mountain I've got a house near there I'd sell for a fabulous price! :golfclap:

But truly, NM is probably the iciest place I've ever skied, and I've skied all over MI, 10-15 places in New England and a bunch in the mid-Atlantic. Piste's could easily be used for countertops.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Owning a home near a smaller mountain that is itself for sale, or worse has closed while for sale is NO fun.

I have some good friends who have been through it, and one of the reasons why I hope that Saddleback in Maine makes even a temporary comeback is so that a half dozen friends can get out of their homes and condos. All are probably, realistically under water in terms of value right now.

We've owned ski vacation property for three plus decades and have seen a lot of people do well, and others just get hammered. It all depends, as they say.

I hope this small areas can make it. Have great fondness for them. But it's not an easy business, at all. For one thing, it's rare to have one that is not in need of quite a bit of deferred maintenance. Add to it the occasional lift replacement, snowmaking improvements.
Tough.

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
If you want your own private ski area without all the BS that comes along with that, here ya go:

http://www.stonerranch.net/

Was for sale last year, not sure if it still is. You can see this place driving into Telluride.

Capture.JPG

skimore1

Booting up
Instructor
I think Sugarloaf in Cedar Michigan finally got a buyer but its fate as a ski area is still uncertain It has been closed for 16 years. I saw last week they were selling a lot of the old chairlift chairs. Sad!!! Sugar Loaf.jpg

clong83

Stauffenberg!
Skier
If you didn't want to actually buy one, I think you can still privately rent out the old Ski Rio resort on the NM/CO border. Their website is down, but I think it is something like $10k for the weekend. They sold off the lifts years ago, but they'll drive you around with a sno-cat. Their facebook is up: https://www.facebook.com/endlessblueresort/

Note: Not affiliated with them in any way... Haven't been there since it was actually "Ski Rio" more than a decade ago. Seems like it would be a great place to go skinning and touring around, but I expect they take a dim view of that.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
If you didn't want to actually buy one, I think you can still privately rent out the old Ski Rio resort on the NM/CO border. Their website is down, but I think it is something like $10k for the weekend. They sold off the lifts years ago, but they'll drive you around with a sno-cat. Their facebook is up: https://www.facebook.com/endlessblueresort/

Note: Not affiliated with them in any way... Haven't been there since it was actually "Ski Rio" more than a decade ago. Seems like it would be a great place to go skinning and touring around, but I expect they take a dim view of that.

Sadly looks to all be on private land.... else it would be worth the ski touring trip.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Wasn't Sugarloaf the subject of a lot of hot air and no actual cash from the brahtrepeneur who made and then tanked The Block in Tahoe.

skimore1

Booting up
Instructor
There has been several "buyers" over the years and hopes were high for the person you speak of but it was another smoke and mirrors snake oil guy and that deal never happened. Too bad, for a Midwest area the "hills" are pretty awesome although 5 to 600" vertical they always had great bumps and pretty good steeps.

HDSkiing

You’re Sliding On-Snow; Don’t Over-Think it!
Skier
I think Sugarloaf in Cedar Michigan finally got a buyer but its fate as a ski area is still uncertain It has been closed for 16 years. I saw last week they were selling a lot of the old chairlift chairs. Sad!!! View attachment 30258

I was sad when I heard that it was no longer in operation. Although I haven’t skied in Michigan since the early 80’s Sugarloaf was one of the places I used to ski as a kid. Awful-Awful was the run I remember most.

Another Michigander on the forum thought that it was recently purchased and may reopen, I hope so!

Frankly

Upwind of NY
Pass Pulled
Gasoline is cheap and matches are almost free....

20170703_fireworks_0016.jpg

Call me on the burner line and leave the envelope in the second mailbox.