• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Sierra Trading Post goes full retail

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
Looks like STP has gone to full retail and is selling new product at MAP and MSRP. Very interesting. The new platform is the same as Campsaver.

Dadskier

Getting off the lift
Skier
They've built a physical store outside of Boston in Framingham, just down the road from REI. I haven't checked it out yet. The TJX companies are based in the area so it makes sense, but I was assuming it was going to be discount.

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
yeah, i always check in to see what they have but noticed they stopped bringing in most closeout stuff,

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Still seem to have plenty of gloves on sale.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
I loved the "old" or more recent STP. Shopping on line, finding great prices, and then driving the price down even more with their various coupons and daily deals. Became almost like a separate sport of it's own.

In the greater Boston area, particularly MetroWest where STP has or will have two stores, there is a pretty long history of various outdoor type shops coming and closing. REI for example is not always my cup of tea, but it's a darn good franchise.

So, do we think STP is pretty much exiting the discount business? Who are the other players in that niche? Steep and Deep? The Climb?

I remember @Brian Finch's score of his Head Titans on STP a year ago....at about 20% or less of MSRP!

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Screen Shot 2017-09-14 at 11.01.48 AM.png

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Some are.

But a friend of mine picked up some Dps Zelda 106 Foundations for $329 shipped yesterday. 2nds sure, but they are this model year and more than 50% off any other online price I can find right now.

Still, nothing like the old deals. I got some El Capos on there for $115 2 years back.

Reactions: Ron

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
With TJX and their sister store Marshalls selling discount and close out items STP does not need to have a discount rack they just send it to one of the others stores in the group. I have purchased ski clothing from both TJX & Marshalls for a reduced rate for some time. Their jackets and under layers are very well priced, I have not found any good prices on ski pants.

Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Bummer. They're building a store here in GR and I was hoping for the deals!

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Bummer. They're building a store here in GR and I was hoping for the deals!

The good: easy, free returns for stuff purchased online.

The bad: online will have sales tax applied.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
The good: easy, free returns for stuff purchased online.

The bad: online will have sales tax applied.

STP been charging sales tax on my orders for quite a while now.
Around my area, they have a retail store in Nanuet, NY and one opening in Hanover, NJ. Both are hour plus away with no traffic. Good luck on the no traffic part. $20+ in toll on top of that. The $7 return shipping charge doesn't look so bad. .

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Framingham is an hour from me with no traffic so I won't be going there anytime soon. Agree it's not the same as before with the extra 20% off free shipping offers, but I doubt they'll go full retail; they bought Sierra to increase their online sales (smart move).

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
I loved the "old" or more recent STP. Shopping on line, finding great prices, and then driving the price down even more with their various coupons and daily deals. Became almost like a separate sport of it's own.

In the greater Boston area, particularly MetroWest where STP has or will have two stores, there is a pretty long history of various outdoor type shops coming and closing. REI for example is not always my cup of tea, but it's a darn good franchise.

So, do we think STP is pretty much exiting the discount business? Who are the other players in that niche? Steep and Deep? The Climb?

I remember @Brian Finch's score of his Head Titans on STP a year ago....at about 20% or less of MSRP!
Now they put a shop in Vermont and charge me tax.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
they bought Sierra to increase their online sales (smart move).

That was the word at the time of the deal. The deal took place in December, 2012. So it's been a while. Have no idea how it's worked out, and what e-commerce {that was a big term in 2012} best practices have moved to the other companies in their portfolio.

Shoppers World in Framingham is about as back and mortar as it gets. Very curious as to what the vision/plan/strategy moving forward is. Seems like it's been very, very successful to date, since they moved to the net in the late 90's.

dlague

Waitin' for Wintah
Skier
We went to a Sierra Trading Post here in Colorado Springs because I was curious. Prices were all over the place. some of the outerwear products and base layers were priced really good and then there were others that looked like Full Retail. Maybe that is the strategy. It was odd though, the store seemed to be light on product but that might be due to the store transitioning between seasons.

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
it will be interesting to see if they follow more of the model of camp saver. if you aren't familiar, you should check it out. a mix of new merchandise with outlet stuff and manufacturers samples. same shopping platform.

Sponsor

Staff online