• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

SIA 2017: Reports from the Floor

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
Actually, depends on insulation. Down under goretex is a bad idea, it will get wet from perspiration.
My Arcteryx Fissile would disagree or my down sweater that I wear under my shell along with the thousands of others I see do the same, but maybe we are doing it wrong or don't sweat as much or something.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
if the seams/zipper on any "h20-proof" item aren't sealed, you will get wet. that and what @Alexzn said is spot-on. without a good DWR, you will just build up moisture inside the garment.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
DWR then would seem to serve an interesting purpose. In combination with the fabric it apparently creates a layer that has about the same function as the membrane, perhaps where complete impermeability and breathability priorities are a little different.

Having to monitor and respray a garment with DWR is kind of a low tech process to be associated with something hi-tech like Goretex.

ejj

Prairie Skier
Skier
As mentioned--Gore Tex is like a layer of Saran Wrap inside your jacket. It can be loose or glued to a layer. It does not keep your outer shell fabric from getting wet or soaking-out. This can jeopardize the function of your goretex barrier. You need to maintain the DWR to help the goretex function it's best. This means cleaning and heating, reapplication, etc. Most jackets come with directions.

Goretex also has certain requirements for manufacturers. If your jacket is Goretex pro, it is seam-sealed and DWR coated, etc. as mentioned, moisture can still get in through seams and zips, etc.

Last, goretex is breathable, but not as breathable as other options--it is still a barrier that slows the breathing process.

Side-note: our Foulies on the boat would be insane for skiing. Wow.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Last, goretex is breathable, but not as breathable as other options--it is still a barrier that slows the breathing process.

Side-note: our Foulies on the boat would be insane for skiing. Wow.

I guess you have never seen a B.C. West Coast logger, newbie skier, skiing in his rain gear.:crash:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
There's more than one type of Gore-Tex.

No, there is not. The membrane is laminated to different fabrics, with backing, w/o backing, with fleece, w/out fleece, etc. but the membrane itself remains the same. They do tweak it year to year but that's invisible to consumers.
I think the misnomer is that different manufacturers use Gore-Tex in different ways and label it differently. When they talk about different Gore-Tex, they're really talking about the different ways they implement it in their garments.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
My Arcteryx Fissile -
Not to hijack but how do you like your Fissile jacket?
Asking 'cause I picked up a Fissile in preparation for this season, interrupted before it began! I'm not into B&D enough to enjoy layering mismatches, bunching, pulling, choking and feeling bound up. My mid-layer jackets lack pit zips for venting, for good reason as layering a mid with pit zips under the shell's pit zips would probably be uncomfortable as all get out. Shell's pit zips alone more often than not aren't effective enough. Weather depended, of course. Lightweight mid layer = freezing on the lift. Thinking an insulated Shell pit-zips open all, venting to the next layer, light mid or base, should be a better option. I may be in between sizes, (as I am with the Cerium SV), at 5'6.5" 140lbs (now that I'm not running), and ordered a medium. I don't want a tight collar tugging on my chin, especially with hood over helmet. Medium is roomy, not a tailored close fit, and park rat long. It fits my shoulders and I could use a mid-layer jacket if needed, I read the Fissile is designed for such. Past size small Arcteryx shell's I've tried have been too small. Had to buy online and hate hanging on to two expensive jackets over the obligatory OCD half year or more to decide which size to keep! Still may order a small to try before committing to the medium, or something else. Plenty of time to experiment now - dang overuse injury!

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
I just got mine - was planing on taking it to JH - that didn't work out. Anyway, it's basically a Cerium and a gotex shel sewn together. I usually only wear a Patagonia ultralight down sweater under my shell, so this would be for really cold. Works fine around town. On sizing - I'm a solid L in Arc'teryx for most things - Rush shell, the Ceriums I've tried on, but wear M in an Atom. I tried a L Fissile and was swimming in it - bought a M. Can't imagine needing anything others than a merino baselayer under it - so it fits fine. If I needed anything more my feet and fingers would be falling off.

Sponsor

Staff online