• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

SIA 2017: Reports from the Floor

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
We are on our way to Denver for our second show. Our agenda at the show is pretty much booked from the time that we touch ground. We do have some times scheduled for Facebook LIVE feeds which are scheduled as follows....
  • Thursday 9:15AM
  • Friday 10:00 AM
  • Saturday Noon.
All times are Mountain Time.

We wil be adding pictures each day. If there is soemthing you would like to see, post it here and we will do our best to get it in the thread.

Michael Kane

Kano
Skier
Would love a look and any information on the new Fischer Cruv GT and Pro Mountain 95. In addition, any changes/upticks to the Lange RX130 boot. Thanks in advance

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Would love a look and any information on the new Fischer Cruv GT and Pro Mountain 95. In addition, any changes/upticks to the Lange RX130 boot. Thanks in advance
We have appointnents with both of these companies. @epic has been giddy as a schoolgirl over the Curve GT and I do know there has been a David Bowie effect to the Lange...Ch..ch..changes in the plastics

Michael Kane

Kano
Skier
I have heard as much about the Langes'. Mine are about 4 years old and are due for replacement. I do so love how they fit me.

James

Out There
Instructor
Changes in the Kastle FX line?
Fischer Vacuum boot updates
Nordy, Lange, Technica performance boots and plugs.

A Look touring binding that could fit in already drilled Pivot holes?? Hehe...

Will @Cyrus Schenck be there as Renoun?

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

1. I think just NGT for the Kastles
2. Will check them out.
3. Plug boots change less than race bindings. Nordica is bringing a new GP boot in with a 140 flex...
fullsizeoutput_5531.jpeg

A touring Pivot? There is less chance that than a Pivot 15.

@Cyrus Schenck and I talked, he won't be at the show this year.

Ecimmortal

Getting off the lift
Skier

A lot of smaller companies are forgoing the SIA experience altogether this year. Both the show and the demo.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
What are the changes for the Monster 88s (besides ~10% less stiff)?

Anything about the new Rossi Black Ops fat skis, and their availability?
(Will they be just a limited run for pros and reps mostly, for example?)

Any details about the new fat K2s (all red, white and blue in stripes?) and availability?

Any changes in the Volkl Katana and/or Confession? And availability?

I'd ask about Stocklis, but looks like, for me, at least for now, my interest has shifted to the Renouns, more than likely.

Thanks!

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Be nice to know what's a genuine leap forward vs rebranding/refresh/gimmick and perhaps even who has confidence not to tinker too much.

Probably only get that on snow though.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Phil, I'm curious as are many about the Lange changes. I am skeptical about what I hear about the material changes, and the "two plastics." Will be interested to learn more.

Also interested to hear what the inside talk as about the Tecnica Cochise boots and what changes may have been made to the 130, after this first year. Seems like they had some issues to work through, at least with some of them.

Last boot interest is the Nordica STRider 130.
Curious about that one, and how you see it comparing with the Cochise.

Skis? The Head Wild Joy. We have a huge Super Joy Fan, and this might be a new ski to compliment it. Will be interested to hear from Tricia. Presume the Super Joy will not be changed?

Solly sticks with the STH2 16 and 13?

Thanks!

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
A lot of smaller companies are forgoing the SIA experience altogether this year. Both the show and the demo.
Are they doing an alternative?
This is a trend that has been growing over the pst few years and it's not jsut smaller brands but we are seeing with the Arc'Teryx's of the world.
What are the changes for the Monster 88s (besides ~10% less stiff)?

Anything about the new Rossi Black Ops fat skis, and their availability?
(Will they be just a limited run for pros and reps mostly, for example?)

Any details about the new fat K2s (all red, white and blue in stripes?) and availability?

Any changes in the Volkl Katana and/or Confession? And availability?

I'd ask about Stocklis, but looks like, for me, at least for now, my interest has shifted to the Renouns, more than likely.

Thanks!

Will learn more about the Pro/Employee only Black Ops and if there will be an expansion in the collection .

Phil, I'm curious as are many about the Lange changes. I am skeptical about what I hear about the material changes, and the "two plastics." Will be interested to learn more.

Also interested to hear what the inside talk as about the Tecnica Cochise boots and what changes may have been made to the 130, after this first year. Seems like they had some issues to work through, at least with some of them.

Last boot interest is the Nordica STRider 130.
Curious about that one, and how you see it comparing with the Cochise.

Skis? The Head Wild Joy. We have a huge Super Joy Fan, and this might be a new ski to compliment it. Will be interested to hear from Tricia. Presume the Super Joy will not be changed?

Solly sticks with the STH2 16 and 13?

Thanks!

It is interesting that Lange is going with a bi injected shell after touting how consistent a mono injected was. I am looking forward to hearing the whole story.

The issues with the walk feature have plagued high end boots since they have come out...Maybe it is unrealistic to expect to much versatility out of a 130 flex boot?

I tried the Strider on, it will go head to head with the Cochise and there is some sibling rivalry there for sure.

The 90mm Joy will fill a big hole, I know thats one of the skis that @Tricia is looking forward to getting on.

I don't see a change to the Sth213/16. The focus last year was the addition on the Warden 11

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
1. I think just NGT for the Kastles.
That's a bit disappointing actually, I always thought one additional Kastle strength was that they didn't bother to repaint their skis every year, which strengthened product recognition and did not force the retailer to sell off the remaining stock at firesafe prices at the end of the season just because a new paint job was coming next year.

Very curious on the Vacuum boot progress. I doubt they have solved their core issues with material (cracking etc.) but maybe they finally wised up and started putting real liners in their boots and updated the toe dam design to reflect the modern standards...

Last edited:
TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
That's a bit disappointing actually, I always thought one additional Kstle strength was that they didn't bother to repaint their skis every year, which strengthened product recognition and did not force the retailer to sell off the remaining stock at firesafe prices at the end of the season just because a new paint job was coming next year.

Very curious on the Vacuum boot progress. I doubt they have solved their core issues with material (cracking etc.) but maybe they finally wised up and started putting real liners in their boots and updated the toe dam design to reflect the modern standards...
They are not repainting them every year, they were on the second year of a two year cycle.

Will find out more about the boots.

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
Even then... I wish manufacturers had the guts to keep the same graphics for a whole product cycle. you change the ski, then you change the graphics. At least they are better at keeping the same name.

Jed Peters

World's Most "Okayest" Skier
Skier

Nordica and technica are the same boot :) Lange and Rossi are the same boot :) Head has their boot, Salomon has their boot (which is also painted for SOME people like an Atomic) and there is an Atomic boot. Right @Muleski ? LOL

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor

The new Fischer liners are really nice. Plastics, I guess it's hard to say until people have put some hard miles on them, but they have already changed the plastics from the 1st generation vacuums and are updating them for 2017/2018.

Sponsor

Staff online