• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Shop pictures

Read Blinn

lakespapa
Inactive
Gorilla glue, Super Glue, two-part epoxy. I sanded the surface, and then tried chipping it up with a screwdriver. I'd be willing to work through your list of adhesives, though, since it would be cheaper than buying a new vice. My wife would like me better, too. :D Thanks!

Read Blinn

lakespapa
Inactive
Just clamped it today with Pliobond. I'll let it cure a full 7 days — past time to wax a couple pair of skis at that point.

quant

Don't worry; just go down.
Skier
Someone was tossing an IKEA kitchen island with a scratched top, so I liberated it . The island works well as a garage workbench. The drawers are huge and there is lots of storage underneath.

IMGP0006.jpg

Attachments

• IMGP0002.jpg
    IMGP0002.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 43
  • IMGP0003.jpg
    IMGP0003.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 41

1chris5

Getting off the lift
Skier
This is how I work - I am glad I built my ski jig because it is flexible enough to handle different ski lengths. I tune skis for 130cm to 174cm. Also, I tune snowboards and I am glad I used a wider base to allow for the snowboard waist width.
IMG_20170219_103941.jpg

[note the purdy steel brush - I use this to brush my skis. I think it works well but is this a wise tool? It was cheap when I was buying a bunch of tools. I also use an OXO nylon brush and I have a horsehair brush I repurposed from old shoe shine kit. I have yet to see a trail of shoe polish in our ski/snowboard tracks]

I also like the ski/snowboard rack that I built to cuff around the joist rather than screw right into the joist. I have a shortage of space and this works well. My wife gave me wine corks for the snowboard rack. It holds 2 adult skis/2 kids skis/2 kids snowboards.
IMG_20170219_104004.jpg
(left side of picture is actually ceiling).

TS
Dwight

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm moving and get to redo my ski work shop and storage. It will be downstairs, 15 ft away from the bar refridge. :)

Other then my work bench, I have a clean slate. Before I have hung my skis vertical, since I have the space, I might hang horizontal, either on a wall or ceiling.

Looking for a few more ideas. Thanks

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
My bench hasn't changed since I took these a while ago. The only thing I'd change is the magnetic tool holder. It magnetized the file so the filings stick to it. I don't hand file at this bench anyway, so no big deal; I use the Trimjet at the shop where I am employed part-time.

The 2x4s on the bench support a ski, base up, while I work on its mate.

The tray on the front of the bench is held on by the clamps for the vises. It saves a lot of cleanup of the floor. It can easily be removed (by design) but I never have. I just shop vac up the debris it collects.

I have since drilled a couple holes into the shelf to hold drivers.

I only plug the iron into the power strip. Two task lights are controlled by the power strip, so if the lights are on, the iron could be on. This is my safety to prevent me burning down the garage.

The bathroom vent fan is supposed to help protect me, but is pretty ineffective. The room is too air-tight so unless I crack a door or window, it doesn't vent much. It is handy for when I p-tex as I put the smoking p-tex near the vent and it does manage to pull out those fumes.

20150928_132618.jpg
20150928_132744.jpg
20150928_182059.jpg
20170804_084644_Queen Of The West Road.jpg

And because what is a shop picture without mention of beer...
20170803_192002_Queen Of The West Road.jpg

Cheers!

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
View attachment 17826

Need a new vice — the rubber grip pads fell apart. Tried to replace them with neoprene (donated by SMJ), but none of the adhesives I tried did the trick, and now, every time I need to vice the skis, I have to hold the pads in place while tightening. Works, but it sucks.
Use Fletching Cement used for arrows. Clean metal surface with lacquer thinner, same for rubber. Wipe lightly with same on both surfaces, just as sheen of solvent vanishes apply cement and clamp to vise. Let dry overnight.

Sponsor

Staff online