• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Shop pictures

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Thanks fellas for your quick replies, much appreciated.
I wasn't sure if the bessy style clamps would fit through the center of the vise to hold them. Also good call on the turning of the pivots. I have also raised the vise up off the bench with hockey pucks or wooden surveyors hubs to clear "tall" bindings.

Excuse my poor language... screwdriver holder makes no sense, I should have typed cordless drill holder.

Thanks again,

pmn
I will get you pictures of the parts I used.

Jed Peters

World's Most "Okayest" Skier
Skier
This shop "wins".

IMG_0309.JPG

The light installed here:

50129193034__054E2C78-EAA8-479A-A42E-101DA21F97DA.JPG

Shows the power of the new Big Ass Garage Light installed in the bay.

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
IMG_3247.JPG
IMG_3248.JPG
mine is a bit of a shambles at the moment (I am untidy at the best of times! ) as I have had a lot of other projects going on and i rejigged the bench earlier in the year (and of course never quite finished it!) Need to get moving now though with race season starting this weekend!

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Jed. sending your 411 to Danielle at Antique Archeology to send the boys to pick your honey hole! Seriously, looks just like the the collectable stuff they love scoring..

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I've had an iron upgrade and a couple vises for side edge work. But, the bench (washer and dryer) is still the main indoor tuning facility. Throw a couple old towels under the skis to catch the shavings. I've also put clamps on the deck railing out back to do light work on a nice day.

images

I have a GIANT tackle box for the files, stones, file card, bits, p-tex, soldering iron, assorted wax, corks, etc.. etc...

JohnL2

Booting up
Skier
ScotsSkier, curious to know what the material on the top of your bench? Thanks.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Thanks fellas for your quick replies, much appreciated.

Excuse my poor language... screwdriver holder makes no sense, I should have typed cordless drill holder.

Thanks again,

pmn
A old scraper, some Rossignol R20 plate spacers and some binding screws...
IMG_0143.JPG
IMG_0141.JPG
IMG_0142.JPG

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
ScotsSkier, curious to know what the material on the top of your bench? Thanks.

It is a rubberized/plastic, meant for floor protection IIRC, Got it form Home Depot in the flooring section, you can buy it by the foot. Makes it easy to get the wax off rather than getting it plastered on the plywood top

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
No problem but the heels are cocked.

You will notice in the pic above that even a 10mm lift like the Vist plate above puts a cocked PX12 heel into the cutout slot. The Vist is actually shorter than the factory risers that came with that one.

I also have 3/4" wooden lifters under the Profil stands like @PeterMN was mentioning.

Frankly

Upwind of NY
Pass Pulled
20160213_iphone_1222.jpg

I finally threw away most of my thirty plus years of old wax and tools. I even took some of those old 12" Sandvik files to my bench grinder and made ghetto knives out of some because they're really nice steel (directions online).

The newer vises and irons are so much better. Haven't succumbed to a fancy edge grinder yet but maybe....

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
View attachment 17805

I finally threw away most of my thirty plus years of old wax and tools. I even took some of those old 12" Sandvik files to my bench grinder and made ghetto knives out of some because they're really nice steel (directions online).

The newer vises and irons are so much better. Haven't succumbed to a fancy edge grinder yet but maybe....
Mmmmm 916 LAB bindings. :drool:

Read Blinn

lakespapa
Inactive
c14767e7_IMG_5025.jpeg

Need a new vice — the rubber grip pads fell apart. Tried to replace them with neoprene (donated by SMJ), but none of the adhesives I tried did the trick, and now, every time I need to vice the skis, I have to hold the pads in place while tightening. Works, but it sucks.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
but none of the adhesives I tried did the trick, and now, every time I need to vice the skis, I have to hold the pads in place while tightening. Works, but it sucks.

What adhesives did you try? Did you try sanding the yellow finish a bit?

My favourites for applications like this are 3M Weatherstrip adhesive , Pliobond, Liquid Nails Small Project, and GE Irongrip (in descending order).

Sponsor

Staff online