• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Shop pictures

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
A few years ago I decided to make a new work bench used for skis in the winter. My man cave in the shop. Found a process the seems to work well for my family's skiing.

IMG_20161120_094821245_HDR.jpg

Tool shelf

IMG_20161120_094728238.jpg

Last edited:
TS
Dwight

Dwight

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Those bungee cords work just as well as a vice?

Yes they do. I need to get some newer ones that are tighter

I do have a third movable support if needed on an end or middle. I also have have slots cut in the supports to put the ski on edge for edge tuning. The supports are covered with bicycle inner tubes for protection and stop slippage.

TS
Dwight

Dwight

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
A little bit MacGuyver there....or Redneck....If it works, who cares....
I just did 14 pairs on the purchased bench stands. I'll take my homemade setup any time. I really like have both skis on the same platform at once. Plus my cost was $0.

fullStack

Getting on the lift
Skier
It's definitely not as much "shop" as I would like, but so far I've managed to keep my corner of the garage free of kids stuff and wifey stuff.

full

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I was looking for a photo I have of @UGASkiDawg 's condo set up. Many hours have been spent in his living room, waxing, tuning and fondling skis to demo with the gang at Arapahoe Basin.

Drahtguy Kevin

Après aficionado
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I was looking for a photo I have of @UGASkiDawg 's condo set up. Many hours have been spent in his living room, waxing, tuning and fondling skis to demo with the gang at Arapahoe Basin.

Ya, he's got a good set up with the bench in the living room. Just a few steps to the beer, ice and bourbon.

PeterMN

Booting up
Skier
View attachment 16101
It's a mess right now.
@Phil - would you mind letting me know what clamps are holding down your vise?... I use a similar vise and I tune 5+ pairs of skis which includes my wifes and 3 kids- all various sizes and unscrewing the oem clamps gets to be a bit of a pain when im in a hurry.

Also I like your screwdriver holder... would you also be willing to let me know where you got that?

Thank you,
pmn

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
@Phil - would you mind letting me know what clamps are holding down your vise?... I use a similar vise and I tune 5+ pairs of skis which includes my wifes and 3 kids- all various sizes and unscrewing the oem clamps gets to be a bit of a pain when im in a hurry.
pmn

The front one looks like a Bessey F-clamp. The rear looks OEM.
f-clamp.jpg

http://www.timberframe-tools.com/sasproduct/f-clamps-by-bessey/

Bessey now make some other release types; the release plates on the ones shown above can be tricky for small hands:
https://www.zoro.com/bessey-clamp-s...gclid=CMru-vikztACFRBWDQodcCMNhA&gclsrc=aw.ds

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Also I like your screwdriver holder... would you also be willing to let me know where you got that?

Thank you,
pmn
Cantunamunch answered below, I am using the clamps that come with the FK stands. Not sure what screwdriver holder are you talking about?
The front one looks like a Bessey F-clamp. The rear looks OEM.
f-clamp.jpg

http://www.timberframe-tools.com/sasproduct/f-clamps-by-bessey/

Bessey now make some other release types; the release plates on the ones shown above can be tricky for small hands:
https://www.zoro.com/bessey-clamp-s...gclid=CMru-vikztACFRBWDQodcCMNhA&gclsrc=aw.ds

BTW - those of you with FK Profil vises - don't you run into problems with Pivots?

No problem but the heels are cocked.

PeterMN

Booting up
Skier
Cantunamunch answered below, I am using the clamps that come with the FK stands. Not sure what screwdriver holder are you talking about?

No problem but the heels are cocked.
Thanks fellas for your quick replies, much appreciated.
I wasn't sure if the bessy style clamps would fit through the center of the vise to hold them. Also good call on the turning of the pivots. I have also raised the vise up off the bench with hockey pucks or wooden surveyors hubs to clear "tall" bindings.

Excuse my poor language... screwdriver holder makes no sense, I should have typed cordless drill holder.

Thanks again,

pmn