• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Shin Guards - Junior Racer - Cutting

beantownace

Booting up
Skier
Hello all,

Looking for some intel got my daughter new LEKI shin guards which I believe I am going to need to cut. I can't find good info out there but how far are they supposed to go down? Do they go over the top of the boot some? I would imagine wouldn't want to impede on the flex of the boot. Thanks all

Last edited:

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Shin guards also come in junior size.

BLiP

Out on the slopes
Skier
Do they go over the top of the boot some?
Yes
1700096098236.png

nnowak

Getting on the lift
Skier
Hello all,

Looking for some intel got my daughter new LEKI shin guards which I believe I am going to need to cut. I can't find good info out there but how far are they supposed to go down? Do they go over the top of the boot some? I would imagine wouldn't want to impede on the flex of the boot. Thanks all
Normally they will cover both upper buckles and stop at least an inch short of hitting the instep. As long as your daughter can flex the boots without the shin guards touching the instep, you will be fine. Assuming she is not using the $500 carbon fiber guards, they are very easy to cut down with any woodworking tools. Just be sure to remove any burs and round off any sharp corners.

One thing to watch... many shin guards will bulge out at the bottom to accommodate the transition in diameter from shin to boot cuff. Ideally, you want that bulge to land right at the top of the boot. If it is way off, you may want to buy a smaller "junior" pair of guards and hold onto these until your daughter has grown more.

anim

Booting up
Skier
Any recommendations on what brands/models could work for really skinny calves (U10, the coaches seem to want them have shin guards despite skiing only stubbies)? Our kid tried two LEKI junior models but could not get them anywhere near tight enough

Tom_H

Booting up
Skier
Any recommendations on what brands/models could work for really skinny calves (U10, the coaches seem to want them have shin guards despite skiing only stubbies)? Our kid tried two LEKI junior models but could not get them anywhere near tight enough
My 11 yo has been in jr. Lekis the last couple years with no issues, and has super skinny legs. Have you tried criss-crossing the straps, you can gain a little more closure on the velcro range? Otherwise, my 12 year old still uses some old Scotts that seem to snug up tighter, but don't think they've been made for quite some time.

POC also makes shin guards, or you can always pull out the duct tape - infinitely adjustable.... They are nice for stubbies though, and gives the kids a little more confidence to ski tight to the gates.

nnowak

Getting on the lift
Skier
LEKI, Poc, and Shred, pretty much every brand that has shin guards also has a Jr. model. If you can't find any small enough, you can always modify the existing straps. Just pinch a small loop in the strap and then sew a few stitches to hold the loop closed. When your kid gets bigger, the stitches can be cut and the strap returned to full length.

Sponsor

Staff online