• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Scout Focused Clinics or Group Lessons?

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
We just booked @Chance of Snow's boy scout troop in a bunk house on the mountain of a smaller mid atlantic ski resort. It sounds like they might be able to actually run a clinic to teach the official Boy Scout Snow Sports merit badge course. As a former instructor from long ago and a current certified merit badge counselor I'd be curious to hear back from current instructors a few more details if your ski school also offers scout specific (boys or girls, venturing, etc) group lessons or clinics, especially with badge requirements being documented along the way.

Also, how is the cost structured compared to regular group or semi private lessons?

Thanks!

James

Out There
Instructor
Nope. But there's midweek school stuff.
I had a kid a couple years ago with a sheet from scouts to fill out. Since it worked with the lesson I tried to work it in. It had things like explain to someone how to get on a lift. He had a tough time. I basically walked him through it. Then tried to get him to use words. It was tough. Should he really have passed? No, but we were running out of time.

So the scout thing is so specific it would make sense to do it together. Possibly even have one of the adults assist with the forms. Instructor needs to see the form ahead of time. Because it's a lot to go through. It could actually help structure the lesson. Plus help with the standards for passing.

If you have enough, see about making a couple groups. They'll be more than one level I'd assume. You should call the ski school direct.

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
If you have enough, see about making a couple groups. They'll be more than one level I'd assume. You should call the ski school direct.

The resort manager who booked the bunk house cabin said it's something their ski school offers. I have the same questions you did.. The other merit badge courses I've been involved with work best with a couple hours of classroom instruction and exercises BEFORE the actual activity sessions.. I'm thinking that maybe I could get the book and go through the parts that we don't have to be on the snow for in advance.. Ski trip is booked Feb 8th-11th so there is some time..

Was also thinking the resort might frown on anything that appears to them to be organized instruction being conducted on their slopes by me instead of one of their employees with their ski school getting paid. I get that. and would actually prefer a current instructor do that part since I'm so far out of touch with current teaching and best practices..... More to the point would rather have free skiing time with the other dads while the kids take their lessons hahaha.. but definitely could check off the requirements if needed..

Last edited:
TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
@Old boot worked with some of these kids last season for a couple hours.. Robin ROCKS! I try to avoid bugging folks to work for free during their free skiing time but he was all to offering for the scouts to decline some free instruction. Luckily, we were subtle enough so the mountain employees had no clue he was giving quick private lessons to the kids one run at a time and coaching on the lift rides up..

James

Out There
Instructor
I'm thinking that maybe I could get the book and do through the parts that we don't have to be on the snow for in advance.. Ski trip is booked Feb 8th-11th so there is some time..
Yes, that would be good for everyone esp the kids. My impression of the one I had was it was all being shoehorned in and there wasn't enough context before. It's also easier if everyone in the group is doing it and are prepared. Plus know the standards.

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
OK found the workbook and link to basic requirements.. No way they will be able to fully comprehend all of it in a one day clinic.. like 2 hours in the morning and 2 hours afternoon. I'd say 3-4 classroom sessions to get through the dry land stuff and at least 2 hours, maybe a several days for the greener riders to get through the on the snow requirements.

What seems odd and a bit shocking is that they have some stuff on maintaining bindings and DIN but nothing on basic tuning and waxing. I'd say the part on bindings should only discuss LEAVING THEM ALONE and taking them to the shop to be properly installed, maintained, and checked every year. Axe that binding stuff and replace it with how to use a stone to touch up the edges then hot wax and and scrape as the hands on ski gear stuff..

http://meritbadge.org/wiki/index.php/Snow_Sports

James

Out There
Instructor
I'd say the part on bindings should only discuss LEAVING THEM ALONE and taking them to the shop to be properly installed, maintained, and checked every year.
Ah yeah. Foolish. Basic tuning knowledge far better. Maybe you could visit a shop? Or just give a presentation. It will sail over most but ita's good to at least hear it.

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Ah yeah. Foolish. Basic tuning knowledge far better. Maybe you could visit a shop? Or just give a presentation. It will sail over most but ita's good to at least hear it.

I'll need to see the actual book for the content. I do think that bindings and DIN could be discussed with regard to showing those are the data points that are required for rentals and leaving skis to be mounted with bindings. So, maybe it does come with a big red disclaimer to be sure a shop tests the bindings before anyone uses them... and only the person who they were set for..

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
OK found the workbook and link to basic requirements.. No way they will be able to fully comprehend all of it in a one day clinic.. like 2 hours in the morning and 2 hours afternoon. I'd say 3-4 classroom sessions to get through the dry land stuff and at least 2 hours, maybe a several days for the greener riders to get through the on the snow requirements.

What seems odd and a bit shocking is that they have some stuff on maintaining bindings and DIN but nothing on basic tuning and waxing. I'd say the part on bindings should only discuss LEAVING THEM ALONE and taking them to the shop to be properly installed, maintained, and checked every year. Axe that binding stuff and replace it with how to use a stone to touch up the edges then hot wax and and scrape as the hands on ski gear stuff..

http://meritbadge.org/wiki/index.php/Snow_Sports

I don't think they are talking about changing DIN or repairing bindings. Just general knowledge about them. How many beginners fall, their bindings release, but doesn't release the heel piece. Then they are trying to get into a binding where the heel hasn't been cocked. I meet a guy on the hill actually trying to change his GF's adjustment for the heel piece. Really!! So I think they are after general things.

I will say that I didn't have to do this for my L2 CSIA!! Good for the Scouts!!

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I don't think they are talking about changing DIN or repairing bindings. Just general knowledge about them. How many beginners fall, their bindings release, but doesn't release the heel piece. Then they are trying to get into a binding where the heel hasn't been cocked. I meet a guy on the hill actually trying to change his GF's adjustment for the heel piece. Really!! So I think they are after general things.

I will say that I didn't have to do this for my L2 CSIA!! Good for the Scouts!!

Couple seasons ago on a very busy Saturday up in West Virginia there was a sloppy drunk lady who cut in to the lift line corral pretending she knew someone who was ignoring her.. She had her skis on BACKWARDS... Loud, cussing, laughing, SMOKING. Nobody told her she had her skis on backwards.. They fell off when the chair left the loading ramp..

john petersen

working through minutia to find the big picture!
Instructor
I have worked with scouts in the past and have found that it can be very rewarding. When the scoutmaster or scout leader has taken things seriously and been prepared it is a dream assignment for a ski instructor. a great deal of fun. As OP has mentioned, preparation and one or two indoor meetings to work through the material ahead of time is key!....Definitely do that!.

Know that if your scouts are not fairly decent skiers, they will not get very far into the badge that first day, or even that season. (***fairly decent mean they are able to perform good basic open parallel turns.They should be able to ski easy blue runs without much difficulty.)

There are several areas that need to be updated at the BSA national level in terms of equipment and technique, but, with the prep mentioned above, everything can be addressed in about 3 hours.

Call ahead and see if the mountain will give you a lesson package. If the mountain offers "Scout Days", then they may be open to extending a basic lesson package.

Since my kids went through scouts, and I was familiar with the handbooks, I was able to tailor the lesson around some good principles of scouting, the skier responsibility code, the scout oath and being a mountain ambassador. (oh, and we skied a lot, too!)

DIN settings are mentioned only for informational purposes and no where does it suggest any adjustments should be made. good to go there.

enjoy!

JP

Old boot

Getting on the lift
Skier
Im sitting in SEA airport and just logged in (was in Whistler for a week with LS) You heading up again? Id love to come if I can get the time (heading to Mexico Monday till Friday for work)
I pulled a "Jimmy skier" earlier this year and got my LVL 2 teach. need to go maybe in March and get the ski part.
Anyway I like doing the teach thing sometimes as I am not involved with any ski school at the moment ,it keeps me remembering.
Thanks for the kind words CD.
You skiing next weekend maybe? Im open pretty sure if you are.
Let me know
Ski ya soon

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Congrats on that new pin!

Work's getting heavy for me next weekend.Feb 10th at Winterplace WV is probably my next venture.. the scout trip.

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
We're going to just ski and take lessons a la carte for whoever wants them this trip. Next year we will get a couple merit badge books and have plenty of preparation so the on the snow requirements will be much easier. Nice call to work the scout oath, law, outdoor code in to the skiers responsibility code and other snow sports stuff where applicable.

jimmy

Mixmaster
SkiTalk Supporter
Im sitting in SEA airport and just logged in (was in Whistler for a week with LS) You heading up again? Id love to come if I can get the time (heading to Mexico Monday till Friday for work)
I pulled a "Jimmy skier" earlier this year and got my LVL 2 teach. need to go maybe in March and get the ski part.
Anyway I like doing the teach thing sometimes as I am not involved with any ski school at the moment ,it keeps me remembering.
Thanks for the kind words CD.
You skiing next weekend maybe? Im open pretty sure if you are.
Let me know
Ski ya soon

Congratulations @Old boot , good luck with the skiing part you've got that. We'll have to have a pin polishing party soon ;) .

I have assisted with the Boy Scout Merit Badge exam at Timberline. The scouts come to us signed off on the book work. We run a morning "exam prep" ski session to get a look at their skiing, check for understanding of skier's responsibility and "teach the test" . The scouts who meet the skiing standard come back for the afternoon session which is an exam.

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
We used to take our scout group to Canaan Valley. Both the resort/lodge and the ski school were very scout friendly. It was also very affordable.

Varmintmist

Bear, with furnture.
Skier
Did the scout thing for 11 years. The bottom line is that you should have 1-6 done and 7 a,b,c,j at meetings long before you hit the slopes. You will probably have to take them at least twice.

We took our troop from a car camping troop to a"high adventure" troop. I did the camping merit badge and we did a lot of camping. No one gundecked the 20 nights and there was no reason to with the opportunities we gave them.
Backpacking, we had them bring in their packs and empty them, after a few of us did the same. Prior to a canoe trip, I had them all come out to my place to do a overnight. I have plenty of woods with no facilities except a shovel but there is water at the barn. First thing I did was toss my backpack into the pool and drag it out. Then formed up the line and tossed everyones in one at a time including the scoutmasters and leaders packs. They were told I was going to do it, but I think some didnt believe me. When we went on the canoe trips they knew what waterproof meant. 24 people with 16 of them being under the age of 16 on a 107mi ( Allegheny river trail Kinzu to Emlenton) self supported canoe trip takes prior proper planning. All of the more interesting merit badges do.
Never could work in a ski trip. We started canoeing because it was cheap and we lost our major fundraiser. Skiing wasnt in the cards for a lot of the families.

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Scout trip was a HUGE success. None of our troop opted for the very affordable lesson offered. However, I did rescue the straggler from our troop who :nono: got ditched by his "buddy" on a steeper blue. He was WAY over terrained. I spent a couple hours working with him on greens and much easier blues after spending a good 20 minutes getting him down that run he was way over his head on...

No more yard sales for him that day and now he knows how to get up and get going again on a steep run with and without both skis on. he also knows he has a perfectly OK option to just stay put, shuffling off to the side of terrain he can't safely manage. Knows NOT to take off his skis and try to walk if he can't ski it... he now knows he can flag down another skier to send the ski patrol to help him down via courtesy ride.. and that's perfectly OK if they can't safely ski the run but are already caught down in to the beast..

Not so good news from a neighboring troop with a kid we also know. Two of their kids ended up in the hospital, broken sternum and blown knee:(

We're 100% go to get the SnowSports Merit Badge books this fall. I'll probably be teaching the course classroom part. I think I'll also suggest that a morning lesson be required for all scouts going on future scout trips (with a currently active instructor.. not way back has been myself or other dads). I'm fine with the book stuff and can also sign off on the snow requirements, but pretty sure professionals with more recent and modern gear teaching experience can do better for these kids than I will for the teaching stuff.

Varmintmist

Bear, with furnture.
Skier
Its like herding cats sometimes, often it seems like deaf blind cats, but its fun. :D If you make the lesson a req for all who haven't skied with you before, that is a great idea. Probably can be partly troop funded. Peer pressure is a PITA when dealing with kids.

One thing I found that when doing the start up work for any MB or outing is that telling them (multiple times) that they can be hurt if they are above their ability. Even if their buddy can do it does NOT mean they can,,, yet.

If you have enough, pair them off by ability. If there is only one slow guy, ask the Patrol leader what he is going to do about it. Boy led troop.