• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Salvaging the Ski Swap Boots

Analisa

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I ski a pair of Dyna Vulcans as my primary boot, but decided to pick up a pair of cheap alpine boots to test a few demo skis on my list that weren't mounted with MNCs. They're most of the way there in terms of fit (it's usually pretty easy for me - low volume boot & high volume footbed and it generally stops sliding around). 2 things still seem a little off:

-Length might be a touch short. My big toes tingle for 3-4 minutes after taking them off. I'm hoping some minimal socks & liner packout will take care of this, but I'm guessing it's not possible to do a punch out on the toes due to where it interfaces with the binding? But just wanted to check,

-The screws are stripped on the cuff's buckle ladders, and I'd really like to move them. Any fixes?

They're a pair of Lange RXs if it matters.

Thanks!

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I ski a pair of Dyna Vulcans as my primary boot, but decided to pick up a pair of cheap alpine boots to test a few demo skis on my list that weren't mounted with MNCs. They're most of the way there in terms of fit (it's usually pretty easy for me - low volume boot & high volume footbed and it generally stops sliding around). 2 things still seem a little off:

-Length might be a touch short. My big toes tingle for 3-4 minutes after taking them off. I'm hoping some minimal socks & liner packout will take care of this, but I'm guessing it's not possible to do a punch out on the toes due to where it interfaces with the binding? But just wanted to check,

-The screws are stripped on the cuff's buckle ladders, and I'd really like to move them. Any fixes?

They're a pair of Lange RXs if it matters.

Thanks!

If you want to go the DIY route: https://www.amazon.com/Damaged-Remover-Extractor-Product-Stop/dp/B00MZCEBII

But pretty much any bootfitter in Colorado will be able to take care of the stripped screws no problem and refasten them in the correct spot for you. Same with the toe issue, that one is easy to solve by most any shop.

TS
Analisa

Analisa

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Both my toes are punched out....

Do the ladders twist and move?

Ah - awesome - that's good news!

The latches twist and I've got them as tight as they'll go. It's SO close - like I just need one more rung in the ladder. Not far enough to justify new boots, but far enough to hope that the previous owner has a baby shower on the most epic powder day of the year!