• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Salter’s Ski

asnowmobiler

Advanced Beginner
Skier
Very impressed with there attention to details and knowable personal..
Anyone looking for a great shop near Philadelphia Pa, check them out!
Best boot fitting experience I’ve ever had.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
One of the LAST independent shops in the Philly area. Are they still just doing Dalbello or did they bring in other brands? Do they still have the Kastenger/Porsche Designs on display?

TS
asnowmobiler

asnowmobiler

Advanced Beginner
Skier
I went there to get fitted for some new Fischers but ended up with Panterra 120 id’s
I think they had Head boots also, but not sure.
Porsche design display? I didn’t see it, if i did I would have been giddy since I’ve been a Porsche Brand Ambassador for 5years and have owned a few.

Last edited:

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Salter's had Dalbello and Fischer (Vacuum's) when I checked them out which was around four years ago. I tried the Panterra, too much volume above my arch/instep articulation point. I don't have a Fischer foot either. Don't recall any Head boots. Went with Salomon X-max purchased elsewhere.

Living Proof

We All Have The Truth
Skier
Salter's Ski shop...wow, I had almost forgotten about them. Perhaps they are the last of the dying breed of mom and pop family stores in the Philly area. I've no recent experience, but, they were known for boot fitting. I bought my Solly SX 92's there, so, that is just short of a lifetime ago.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@asnowmobiler, Kastenger Porsche Boot...
7500b7620bc0c27e34c85956a53067fc.jpg

The only pair I ever saw was at Salters.

GCRUMP

Putting on skis
Skier
I'm planning to stop in to Salter's this week to get rental boots for my youngest son.... I'll check out the boot wall and consignment area for any Porsche boots. ogsmile
The one guy I'm sure would remember them , Mr Salter , unfortunately passed away a few years back. I was probably one of his last boot fittings the spring before he passed....... but the other faces in the boot area haven't changed in years so I'm sure all are very capable ( to the OPs point)

TS
asnowmobiler

asnowmobiler

Advanced Beginner
Skier
I looked for the Porsche boots, it turns out they think they gave them to some sort of ski museum and think are at Camelback..
They did have some Head boots , but not much of a selection.
I was a bit surprised they changed me $40 each for 3 sets of skis to fit the boots I just bought from them.

Attachments

• A9330B0D-AFCE-445C-9972-9EEF48388E3C.jpeg
    A9330B0D-AFCE-445C-9972-9EEF48388E3C.jpeg
    140.1 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
-
I was a bit surprised they changed me $40 each for 3 sets of skis to fit the boots I just bought from them.
...sprung that one on you without telling you ahead of time, dang, they must've saw you coming a mile away! Next time leave the Porsche home and use your kids car!
Actually it sounds like they had to do a remount rather than a simple binding adjustment to move the heel-piece forward or back to fit the new BSL - They advertise $40 remount binding release calibration, if however no new holes were drilled for a remount you would have been overcharged. I still don't like that you weren't informed of the additional charges upfront, even if the charges were posted by the checkout counter, it's not as though you knew before hand if a remount would be required or a simple turn of a screw. They also do the service free of charge if the ski is purchased from them, doesn't say ski bindings and boots, so really they should've substituted ski for boots and only charged you for two of the three ... blame that one on the Porsche:\
Just saying.
http://www.saltersski.com/ski-and-snowboard-tuning

Last edited:
TS
asnowmobiler

asnowmobiler

Advanced Beginner
Skier
I can’t afford the maintenance on a Porsche at this time because I drive at least 100 miles a day, I was in my GTi.
I did pay before they did the work, I’m just not they type to complain and could have passed, I just will know better in the future.
It was for three sets that I didn’t buy from them and they all have system bindings
If I knew before I drove an hour to get there, I would have done them myself.
Live and learn ✌️

Living Proof

We All Have The Truth
Skier
My thinking is that at a brick and mortar ski shop, if they adjust the bindings for new boots and perform the standard release tests, then expect them to charge for this service. If something goes wrong, and, you decide they are negligent, then they have liability responsibility. I remember being at Blue and at Jackson Hole and having some binding issues, both they told me that if they need to use a tool to fix, then there is a charge. At the least, you now have some assurance that the kids bindings work. Yeah, we would all like to have the $120 in our pockets, but, in this case, you did make the right call with respect to the kids safety. The hard part is now keeping them out of the way when on the slopes. Pocono's are too crowded.

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Yikes.
No wonder Salters has been around so long.....charging 40 bucks for a system binding adjustment on a kids ski. (3x40=120.00)

I guess that’s why I don’t own a business...

I’m a tech...system adjusts are minimal charge/“gratis” for shop purchased goods...

At least you know they were done by a long time quality shop.....it’s only money.....

Thank you for supporting a local business...”gotta love the brick/mortar ski shops.”

James

Out There
Instructor
I learned today that Salters had a large fire in late January and have not reopened. Doesn’t sound good.

https://www.timesherald.com/news/of...cle_9e055e40-228d-11e9-ba78-27fcdef889c5.html
Sorry to hear.

I went to Salter's some time in the mid to late 90's to get boots for my girlfriend. I dragged her out there. It was a fairly long drive from nyc.

Honestly, I thought it was a weird shop. Maybe the owner was burnt out, as it was nearly the last day they were open for the season. Not exactly super helpful. Returned the next year around the same time. Really pissed him off as she had serious problems with the boots and he had to deal with it. (For some reason I could never get her out there till March.)
What I found exceptionally odd was the price of skis. Way high and sort of off models. I can't remember what they were, but they were strange.

Overall, I was very dissappointed, as I'd read the glowing ski mag reports. He did have an interesting contraption that put you on a slope to check boots. But, he didn't use it and I talked with him about it. He'd machined it himself iirc.

Living Proof

We All Have The Truth
Skier
Time for a little thread drift, in addition to Salter's fire and closing, D &Q ( Danzieging and Quigley) in Cherry Hill NJ have also announced they are closing. No firm closing Date, just made an announcement that it is now time to step away Primarily a ski shop, the were also into bikes. So, Philly area loses 2 long term shops this year. Not a surprise in the internet era, local small Brick and Mortar are just a dying breed.

In the mid-70's, Salter's had a 50% off ski sale at seasons end, bought my Solly SX 92's, white, pink and black wahoo, there. I remember being in the Philly airport for late season trips, and the Salter's ownership was flying out their personal end of season ski trip.

Times change, good memories. Buckman's still rules in Philly area ski shops.

Chef23

Getting on the lift
Skier
Time for a little thread drift, in addition to Salter's fire and closing, D &Q ( Danzieging and Quigley) in Cherry Hill NJ have also announced they are closing. No firm closing Date, just made an announcement that it is now time to step away Primarily a ski shop, the were also into bikes. So, Philly area loses 2 long term shops this year. Not a surprise in the internet era, local small Brick and Mortar are just a dying breed.

In the mid-70's, Salter's had a 50% off ski sale at seasons end, bought my Solly SX 92's, white, pink and black wahoo, there. I remember being in the Philly airport for late season trips, and the Salter's ownership was flying out their personal end of season ski trip.

Times change, good memories. Buckman's still rules in Philly area ski shops.

I worked with one of the Quigley kids at a shop in the Boston area in the late 80s when he was in college in the area. The shop we worked in is gone now also. Sad to see all the shops closing.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January