• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Rossignol Mountain Bikes

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Yet we instantly buy into a startup ski company that does something cool like Renoun or ON3P etc etc

The bike I bought this year cost many times what any of my skis have cost, and I plan to keep my bike for many years, vs 1-3 years for a pair of skis. Trying out an indy ski, especially as many of them are at a nice price point (not Renoun IIRC), is a relatively small risk. Much different from a bike. And bike demos are much fewer and farther between than ski demos, especially in the right size.

So there are lots of reasons you might be willing to buy a ski from a relatively unknown company, but be hesitant about a new brand of bikes.

I'm on the "wait and see" bandwagon. If Rossi has been proven as a high end mountain bike the next time I'm looking (which should be many years hence), and if I can get a demo, then sure, why not try it?

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
In the brand name game nothing is beyond the realm of "me too".

Browning Firearms - Windsurfers
Head - Tennis rackets
Harley Davidson - Pickup Trucks (Ford)
Winchester - Tools
And so on.

The name is just a brand, doesn't mean what it used to years ago.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier

Head - Tennis rackets
Winchester - Tools
And so on.

AMF/HEAD/VOIT used to be tennis rackets, skis, bowling alleys, volleyball AND Harley Davidson motorcycles...

Willy

aka Goldmember
Industry Insider
It seems to me that the MTB fleet market for ski areas is one that's ripe for Rossignol. They already have many ski fleet agreements with a large number of ski areas so it's a relatively easy entry into that market. People try their bikes and, if any good, that can help propel sales. It will be interesting.

On a side note, Kurt Hoefler, VP of Sales and Marketing is a guy I've skied with on this climb and ski of Mt. Adams. Great guy! I hadn't heard of him getting promoted to this position. Congrats to Kurt!

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor

Head - Tennis rackets
Winchester - Tools
And so on.

Head actually makes pretty awesome tennis rackets from what I hear from friends that sell them.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Ruh Roh - I know it will have been a 6 month lock in and having cashed his chips he's off to something new but it never speaks loudly to me as a happy and harmonious transition if the founder clears off as soon as he is able. More normal to stick around in at least a ceremonial role, talk up the new product and the opportunities of improved reach etc etc before quietly sliding away.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Agreed, @fatbob. Maybe a bit different in this case, as Felt's partner (and the actual design guy) remains.

My guess is that Jim is just going to take his money and go race Vet MX (his roots, before the bike biz).

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
How's the Rossignol bike business going? I never heard another peep about them.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Bump - cos Rossi had piqued my interest in the review overload. Anything ever come of this? I guess Summer 2020 was print money time for any bike brand but did Rossi have enough stock in enough stores to make a difference?

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Bump - cos Rossi had piqued my interest in the review overload. Anything ever come of this? I guess Summer 2020 was print money time for any bike brand but did Rossi have enough stock in enough stores to make a difference?

Rossignol -branded ones? Not around here. Felt-branded ones? Not MTBs. Triathlon and time trial bikes, sort of.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Yeah just googled Rossignol bikes and the top 8 or so hits that came up were references to their own website plus a Blister article and TGR thread like this with braodly the same WTF/who cares theme (I know that probably speaks to my search history as well) But notably no stores that were trying to sell me one.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
I guess the lack of responses/google evidence means Rossi bikes were pretty much a bust then. I did actually sight some in the wild at L9 in SLC but nothing that screamed must try/buy.

Whoda thunk it?

OnEdge

Putting on skis
Skier
Our local mountain rents Rossignol and Specialized bikes as part of their bike park operation, so there are a few running around.

We have one of the kids bikes (24 inch tires w/ full suspension). It wasn't my first choice, but we were able to test ride and purchase during the pandemic (other options would have been to buy sight unseen and wait until next mtb season for delivery). It's not pretty, but so far so good and the kiddo likes it better than the few other options she was able to ride.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Just in case everyone missed it, Rossignol have been divesting their bike properties.

Time FRAMES get a distributor (I have a thing for Time frames but anyway)

Time PEDALS go to SRAM (I also have a thing for Time MTB pedals but nvm)

Sponsor