• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

DCL

Booting up
Skier
anybody here rollerblade to help get into ski shape? I live in the flatlands so thinking about starting to help get the legs ready for ski season.

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I used to, for fun, not necessarily for ski training. I haven't been able to find my skates, otherwise I'd be skating more.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I used to...a lot..when I was in Philly, there used to be a city skate that started at the Art Museum then went all through the city...including a couple of parking garages and even the subway.

Here I am jumping the Art museum steps...
blades2.jpg

This is from Stowe's skate park, I would have to say about the same time...early to mid 90's. I am not sure @epic remembers that.
jumping.jpg

I will say that inline skating really helped my skiing back then. All summer I was balancing in 4 wheels that had a 10" wheelbase and once I got back on a 200cm ski, I already felt centered.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I bought some rollerblades not long ago and planned to grab some old ski poles and cruise around my neighborhood but didn't get the chance to get it going before ski time got here. I know what I'm doing next May. :)

Dave Petersen

Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
I had a friend who bought inline skates to get him in shape for skiing. First time out on the skates he fell and broke his wrist.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
-
-
I will say that inline skating really helped my skiing back then. All summer I was balancing in 4 wheels that had a 10" wheelbase and once I got back on a 200cm ski, I already felt centered.
or 4 (4.3" 110mm) wheels that have a 13.2" wheelbase compared to 3 (5" 125mm) wheels with a 12.6" wheelbase which pretty much do the fore & aft balancing act for you -
IMG_0992.jpg

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
In San Francisco they close a part of the road in Golden Gate Park for skating every weekend. When I lived there, I had to skate uphill to get to the park, then slalom downhill to get back home. That was fun, but emergency stops on skates are painful.

Frankly

Upwind of NY
Pass Pulled
Seems like a tremendous exercise for skiing but experiences have been painful. Props to all of you who enjoy it!

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I had a friend who bought inline skates to get him in shape for skiing. First time out on the skates he fell and broke his wrist.

My orthopedic doctor buddy who makes his living off broken wrists has never seen a broken wrist when wrist guards were used. It's possible to mitigate some of the risk.

Hockey shorts, knee pads, wrist guards and a helmet make it a safe workout. Did I just derail the thread to a helmet thread?

Eric

BMC

Out on the slopes
Skier
I do a few pre season rides. It’s good for balance and some muscle endurance.

Johnny V.

Half Fast Hobby Racer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Haven't been on mine in about 10 years when I started biking on a regular basis. I need to break them out again-it was always a good workout.

PTskier

Been goin' downhill for years....
Pass Pulled
Skating will quickly break one of the habit of skiing from the back seat. But...if you have any back problems, be very wary of falling on your butt and the shock goes up your problem spine. Ouch!

If anyone is interested, I have a pair of Hillbilly padded shorts, size XL. These are older, good condition, not as lumpy as the current version, and really need to be out of my closet. They look OK under other shorts, not too bulky. PM me if interested.

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
or 4 (4.3" 110mm) wheels that have a 13.2" wheelbase compared to 3 (5" 125mm) wheels with a 12.6" wheelbase which pretty much do the fore & aft balancing act for you - View attachment 33576
Those look like fun. I dabbled in speed skating (on ice) as a teen, and have wondered about the roller version. Might be scary on pavement...

Sponsor