• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Individual Review Review: Smith Chromapop Storm Lenses

NESkier_26

Putting on skis
Skier
Just spent three days skiing with the Smith Chromapop Storm lenses at Sunday River in Maine. I did a little bit of A/B comparisons with the Red Sensor lens, my previous low light lens from my I/OX goggles.

Conditions: mostly cloudy and/or shady on Day One; mostly cloudy/snow flurries on Day Two; light to heavier snow on Day Three, with four inches of fresh accumulation during the day. I probably saw about an hour of overhead sun in total during the three days, so conditions were excellent to evaluate the lenses.

Clarity: the Chromopop Storm is noticeably clearer than the Red Sensor in non-snowy conditions. The overall effect was consistent with wearing a very good pair of sunglasses vs. a typical poly-based goggle lens. Trivex is a better, clearer material for goggle lenses. On a side note, I experienced none of the vertigo that some posters have referenced -- I simply had an incrementally better view of the slopes and terrain.

Contrast: the amber-based Storm lens provided very good contrast in most conditions -- I had very little problem picking mogul lines and navigating the variable groomer conditions that were prevalent on the first two days of the trip. Visually, I've always had a preference towards the pink-based lenses, but I was very happy with the Storm vs. the Red Sensor lens in terms of contrast -- I'd give it a slight edge.

Light Transmission: this is the one area where the Red Sensor has an advantage, as I could detect a clear difference in transmitted light between the Storm (listed at 50% VLT) and the Red Sensor (70% VLT, IIRC). The only time during the three days that I preferred the Red Sensor was during the heaviest snowfall and fog conditions that emerged during Day Three, as the clarity advantages of the Storm were nullified by big snowflakes and very low light. In those conditions, the higher VLT lens was the better choice, and on some runs with the Storm I knew I would have been better served with the Red Sensor.

Summary: the Storm is an excellent lens, and I'm happy to have made the purchase. In particular, for lower light, north facing resorts in the Northeast where most of the skiing is done in the shade (and worse) until late February, the Storm is a fantastic everyday lens. Personally, I won't be swapping it out until the sun gets far higher in the sky. For Eastern skiers, I see no reason not to buy the Chromapop-based Smith goggles for new goggle purchases, and the upgrade for existing lens swap-outs is well worth considering.

For the West, I think the decision is more of a judgment call. If you only use a storm lens during foggy conditions and during heavy dumps, I think the VLT is a bigger factor than clarity. On the other hand, if you use a storm lens more frequently (say, in the trees and shade), then the clarity and contrast advantages of the Storm bear consideration.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I'd like to feature this review on our feed, if you don't mind.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
sounds like this lens should be compared to a Smith Ignitor? I always felt the red was more towards sunnier conditions. Good write-up

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I think that would be a good comparison, but the Red Sensor is also a good storm day lens. We've been taking customers outside of the store to compare the CromaPop lens to the sensor that comes with the I/O's. The difference, at a glance, is significant enough that customers say "Wow!" when they look into the trees and snow above the village.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
And just for stoke -
Smith's promotional video for CromaPop

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I really like it that you can get the replacement lens for your current goggles, without having to replace the whole goggle.
I wonder if @SkiEssentials carries the replacement lens for the I/O series?

SkiEssentials

Slashing Turns and Prices
SkiTalk Sponsor
I really like it that you can get the replacement lens for your current goggles, without having to replace the whole goggle.
I wonder if @SkiEssentials carries the replacement lens for the I/O series?

Unfortunately we don't carry any replacement lenses.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
did you look? :)

(I am still a Anon M2 fan)
I looked and I've played with the Anon M2, but have never worn a pair.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
did you look? :)

(I am still a Anon M2 fan)

I am a serious fan of my WM1s! It's hard for me to tell if it's my new eyes (advanced surface ablation surgery in August has meting seeing 20/15) or the goggles but I've never seen better in flat light. Even skiing at night but under the lights at Howelsen last week I had no issues at all.

Anyone want to buy a pair of Smith I/O 7s?

Reactions: Ron

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I just used the Chromapop storm lens at Stemboat today. Stormy day with some light to heavy snow, fog, overcast and scattered clouds. Best lens i have used for those conditions. Forgot I was wearing goggles. Yes, that good.

James

Out There
Instructor
On a side note, I experienced none of the vertigo that some posters have referenced -- I simply had an incrementally better view of the slopes and terrain.
Vertigo from Chroma Pop? Color or what?
Personally, I can't take the Red sensor lens. Makes me nauseous.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Vertigo from Chroma Pop? Color or what?
Personally, I can't take the Red sensor lens. Makes me nauseous.
If someone used ChromaPop in the sun glasses, they may have experienced vertigo because the summer lens' are polarized. The snow goggles are not polarized.
Think about it this way -
Polarization was designed to allow your eyes to adjust to water. You can drive in the rain better and see into the water when you're fishing (or really see into the water any time).
Snow is water. When someone uses a polarized lens to ski, it can mess with your perception of variable snow.

Polarized lens' can be disconcerting when you're golfing too, because there is so much water content in the grass. YMMV

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Good to know. I like the lens, tried them at the local ski shop. I love my old I/O goggles, although they are no longer my primary goggles since I replaced them with Anon's for the magnetically attached face mask option. Too bad Smith didn't think of the magnet mask/goggle idea!

At $95 a pop, I can wait for end of season sales -
http://www.smithoptics.com/us/Root/Men's/Accessories/Lenses/c/1350

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Wade

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I've been using the Smith IO series for the last 6 years or so. Generally one of the Sol-X lenses for sunny days, and the Blue Sensor Mirror for cloudy days.

I picked up pair of IO7s with the Chromapop Everyday and Storm lenses at the start of this season. I've used them 6 days so far and like them a lot. I had one day in the Everyday lenses and found them to be a little brighter than the Sol-X, so for true bluebird days at western resorts, I may pick up a set of the Chromapop Sun or revert back to the Sol-X. The Everyday lens seems great for any partly cloudy / mostly sunny day though, and I can see myself more use out of them than the Sol-X which I found a little dark on partial sun days.

The Storm lens is excellent. I've found it better for me than the Sensor Mirror, including night skiing under not great light conditions. I never found myself wanting the lens to be brighter.