• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Individual Review Review: 2017 Helly Hansen Force Jacket and Pants

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Helly Hansen's tradition extends far past skiing: it started with sailing, where the weather is tough and the sailors are even tougher. Once skiers recognized that Helly Hansen’s sailing products worked just as well on the slopes, HH saw a market ripe for their technologies and started offering ski wear. Since venturing into the ski world, HH has expanded past pure technical lines like its Odin collection to add more resort-based offerings such as the new Force collection. Think of the Helly Hansen Force as a modern-day premium SUV: it is designed to tackle the harshest of conditions, and to do so in style and comfort.​

fullsizeoutput_5420.jpeg
I received a racer blue Force jacket along with matching Force pants in the complementing magma orange. The insulated jacket with a Helly Tech Professional four-way stretch fits like any other HH jacket I have had before, which is to say, right, the way a quality garment simply should fit. The Force drapes well off my shoulders and moves well with my body as I ski. Function is Helly’s foundation, and good design is evidenced by pocket placement and the over-the-helmet hood (which can be removed completely). The PrimaLoft Black insulation is a Hi-Loft 80 g in the body and, in order to promote dexterity, a lighter 40 g in the arms. I would say the only feature that the Force lacks is pit zips, but the proprietary H²Flow ventilating system does a great job of releasing heat when you don’t need it. In the Colorado cold, the H²Flow also did its job of retaining heat when I needed to stay warm.

The Force pant is constructed similarly to the jacket, using the same high-level Helly Tech Professional four-way stretch material. Once you start wearing four-way stretch pants, especially insulated ones, it is tough to go back to traditional materials. The Force pant has properly placed front pockets that you can zip and unzip with gloves on, two rear pockets (I really don’t understand why but I guess some people use them), and two mesh-lined inner thigh vents. The pants also have belt loops and, more importantly, matching velcro cinches so you can adjust your waist after a magnificent lunch at Snowbasin’s John Paul Lodge. The boot gaiters have a double silicon bead so there is little chance that moisture will get in, and enough room and stretch to fit over the external battery heaters on your boots.

fullsizeoutput_5419.jpeg

The Force colors are bold, classic primaries that will stand up to the test of time. And my orange and blue combination fit in very well in Denver Bronco-land.
  • Who is it for? The skier who invests in quality. Buy this jacket/pants combination, and you will not have to buy another one for years.
  • Who is it not for? Adventure seekers, you will be too warm. The H²Flow does a great job controlling body temps, but this is not the collection for you; take a look at the Odin or Elevation lines instead.
  • Insider tip: H²Flow is not a marketing gimmick, it really works.

Manufacturer's Description

A true resort ski jacket with a new bold performance design and technology packed inside to boost your confidence on the slopes. It is built around our highly breathable waterproof Helly Tech® Professional four-way stretch fabric and PrimaLoft® stretch insulation, combined with our highly innovative H²Flow system, turbocharging mechanical venting to keep you dry, warm, or cool depending on the outside conditions. Exclusive ski features include a zip-away powder skirt and wrist gaiters.

Features
  • Helly Tech® Professional
  • CB length 79 cm
  • Armlength 98.5 cm
  • YKK® Aquaguard Vislon® water-resistant zippers
  • Ski-pass pocket
  • Internal pockets for goggles, goggle shammy, and electronics
  • Wrist gaiters with thumb hole
  • Dual hand-warming pockets
  • Detachable helmet-compatible and adjustable hood
  • Zip-away stretch powder skirt
  • Articulated arms and elbows for superior fit
  • RECCO® Advanced Rescue system
  • H²Flow System mechanical venting for optimal comfort
  • Fully insulated
  • PrimaLoft® Black Insulation Hi-Loft 80g in body, 40g in sleeves
  • Durable Water Repellency treatment (DWR)
  • Fully seam sealed
  • Four-way full-stretch fabric
  • Two-ply fabric construction
  • Waterproof, windproof, and breathable

Sponsor

Staff online