• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Returning after 15 yr break questions

TS
V

Vaskung67

Booting up
Skier
My Michigan daily drivers are 85's (Head Rev 85 Pro), yes they're not quick like my old 65 mm slalom skis but they're a lot more forgiving and a much better pick in a wide variety of conditions. Edge grip on hardpack is fine. At my patrol house most of the skis in the storage room are 80-ish or higher.

I always tell my friends to get a really good pair of fitted boots and a cheap set of old rental skis, and then demo as many skis as they can to see what they really want.

Thanks. I'll go the boot route first for sure based on the suggestions in this thread.

TS
V

Vaskung67

Booting up
Skier
Well, I went in for boots today. Tried on a range of boots and ended up with Fischer rc 110s. I am going to have them vacuum fitted this week and am excited.

So, on to demoing!

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Been a little more than 15 years since I've been skiing in Minnesota, but had I still been there when I made my return after a similar ten year plus break I would probably start looking at Hoigaards. Not sure what the retail landscape is around there now though. I'm fine buying online from TheHouse if I know exactly what I need, but the history and reputation of Hoigaards would probably still get my first try at retail brick and mortar shopping.

TS
V

Vaskung67

Booting up
Skier
Been a little more than 15 years since I've been skiing in Minnesota, but had I still been there when I made my return after a similar ten year plus break I would probably start looking at Hoigaards. Not sure what the retail landscape is around there now though. I'm fine buying online from TheHouse if I know exactly what I need, but the history and reputation of Hoigaards would probably still get my first try at retail brick and mortar shopping.

I live near Hoigaards, they are a nice operation and still one of the premium ski/outdoors shops around. Inventory can be hit or miss though.

trailtrimmer

Stuck in the Flatlands
Skier
The suggestion to demo like crazy is a great one. Also, make sure you are demoing skis in your typical conditions. If you get a 10" dump of snow, a wide ski will seem like the sh**, till the next four times you take it out on hardpack and ice when the 74 to 80mm front side ski would wipe it off the map.

Also, get a lesson and don't overbuy. You want a ski that matches your skills with room for growth. If you overshoot too far, it can hinder gaining confidence.

TS
V

Vaskung67

Booting up
Skier
Thanks, that is where I bought my boots and am having them vaced tomorrow. The guy I talked to really liked the Fischer mtn ti 86 demos. They had sr88 demos that were checked out and a new pairs of sl and sx...

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Welcome,(I'm late to the party)

I ski in Wisconsin and use Rosi Exp 83s most of my time. Now have a pair of K2 IKonics 84s and they are not bad. Any of the Head Supershape series would be great. Probably even the Monster 83.

Any ski that has good shape in the 85 and less range will work good for groomers. Depends on feels the best for you.

Granite Peak is having a demo day March 3rd. Not sure on all the skis that will be there, but should be a good selection.

Have fun demoing and figuring what you like.

TS
V

Vaskung67

Booting up
Skier
Welcome,(I'm late to the party)

I ski in Wisconsin and use Rosi Exp 83s most of my time. Now have a pair of K2 IKonics 84s and they are not bad. Any of the Head Supershape series would be great. Probably even the Monster 83.

Any ski that has good shape in the 85 and less range will work good for groomers. Depends on feels the best for you.

Granite Peak is having a demo day March 3rd. Not sure on all the skis that will be there, but should be a good selection.

Have fun demoing and figuring what you like.

Thanks Dwight, I drive by Granite a few times per year on my way to Appleton for work. We got about 11 inches of snow in minnesota thursday through saturday. I took my daughter to a lesson yesterday and skiied while she was with the instructor and with her a bit afterwards. I really like my RC4 110 boots, could not be happier. I demo'ed some stormrider 88s. Very nice overall, I would like to try something in the 76-80 range just to get some compare/contrast. My daughter is only 5, so when I am out with her, I will not exactly be ripping it...

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
My daughter is only 5, so when I am out with her, I will not exactly be ripping it...

I was skiing predominantly in twins when my kids were that little. Lots of backwards/switch and also tight little squirrly turns behind them protecting them from getting rear ended by out of control riders. Also, used beater skis I didn't really care about as topsheets get stepped on and might have to chug across the rocks and thin cover if they happen to head that way first..

TS
V

Vaskung67

Booting up
Skier
I was skiing predominantly in twins when my kids were that little. Lots of backwards/switch and also tight little squirrly turns behind them protecting them from getting rear ended by out of control riders. Also, used beater skis I didn't really care about as topsheets get stepped on and might have to chug across the rocks and thin cover if they happen to head that way first..

I can definitely see that. It was nuts out there yesterday because of the weather, definitely needed to keep your head on a swivel looking out for the little one...

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks Dwight, I drive by Granite a few times per year on my way to Appleton for work. We got about 11 inches of snow in minnesota thursday through saturday. I took my daughter to a lesson yesterday and skiied while she was with the instructor and with her a bit afterwards. I really like my RC4 110 boots, could not be happier. I demo'ed some stormrider 88s. Very nice overall, I would like to try something in the 76-80 range just to get some compare/contrast. My daughter is only 5, so when I am out with her, I will not exactly be ripping it...

I work in Appleton area. I drove North to Brule on Sun, to at least ski in some powder this year(6").

Head Titan or Magnum would work well.

TS
V

Vaskung67

Booting up
Skier
The suggestion to demo like crazy is a great one. Also, make sure you are demoing skis in your typical conditions. If you get a 10" dump of snow, a wide ski will seem like the sh**, till the next four times you take it out on hardpack and ice when the 74 to 80mm front side ski would wipe it off the map.

Also, get a lesson and don't overbuy. You want a ski that matches your skills with room for growth. If you overshoot too far, it can hinder gaining confidence.

Thanks for the thoughts regarding conditions and appropriate skis with room to grow vs the other way around, good stuff...

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I recommend you hang on to your old gear for nostalgic purposes. I'll be skiing a 40 year old pair of K2s tomorrow, same model and length I had as a kid at age 15 (recent thrift store find). Just don't ski yours unless you can be sure that the bindings are still reasonably safe. I do this with my old skis when either the bindings are blown or I just no longer have room to keep them inside and skiable..

17103256_1602115569803975_9046304878881521384_n.jpg

Chris V.

Making fresh tracks
Skier
At first I thought all those skis were PART of the fence, LOL.

I've kept skis so long that the bindings exploded under me from the plastic having chemically changed and become brittle.

TS
V

Vaskung67

Booting up
Skier
OCD update: with the eBay 20% off sale today, I couldn't resist a new pair of volkl v werks code uvos for 650 shipped. I'm excited, I will be skiing a ton of groomers with my daughter and think these will be a bit more nimble than the stormriders I tried...at that price, I thought there is no way I lose...

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Hi folks, first post noob so go easy on me :)

I am returning to skiing and looking for new equipment. My wife was a ski racer growing up and we have our 4 yr old in lessons and want to make this a family lifetime activity, so I am excited to get back in.

About me: 5 9, 195, former hs and college hockey player, grew up skiing and quit after high school. I live in Minnesota and was comfortable skiing blacks here, I know we only have hills and they do not represent reality...but I was a fairly decent intermediate skiier. I still skate a lot and have a good concept of weight transfer and edges. I will most likely be skiing groomers with my family most of the time in MN. We have friends in big sky, Jackson hole and Vail which I would like my skis to handle, but I am thinking I need to focus on conditions here and maybe even rent out there if the ski requirements are substantial ly different. I really don't see myself wandering too much off the groomers but that could change and I would like a ski with some ability to handle that.

After research i am considering the following:
Skis
Rtm84
Head ititan
Stockli sr83
Laser ax
They had Sr 88s and monster 88s but I am not sure about much over 84...thoughts?

Boots
I am guessing for my height, weight and skating ability I would be 110 to 130 boots? Any brands play soft or strong to flex? I am looking at Fischer rc4 110s, Salomon and Technica 120s.

Sorry for the rambling. Am I splitting hairs on the ski choices? Info much appreciated, thanks.

At your weight look into 120 flex boots or stiffer. I would go for a pretty snug fit. Most boots can be modded using heat at the shop and/or using a bootfitter. Get the ones that fit the best out of the box and go from there. Remember, snug is good. The liner will pack out after a week or two.

Regarding skis, there are just a LOT of good options in the 80~90mm width range.

I live in Colorado and mostly use my Head Monster 88's (184cm) at the resorts. They like speed and just eat up vert and rough snow like nothing which I love. For skiing in the east I would get something narrower and with a shorter turn radius.

If you come out west and there is a lot of powder then you need to rent a wider, more powder oriented ski. They are readily available at just about any ski resort here.

TS
V

Vaskung67

Booting up
Skier
I have had two lessons and been out a few times on the vwerks codes. Went out to buck hill one last time with my daughter today and the skis and Boots were flat out awesome as I put finally put together the things I have been working on. Somewhat icy and made snow, no problem for the volkls at all, really held edge nicely and just ripped. I am really excited. The stormrider 88s were nice, but these skis are much better for the conditions I will ski regularly, can't say enough good things about them.

Sponsor

Staff online