• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Retro/Vintage Talk...

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
The first ski that alwasy comes to mind was the Elan FUDD. Of course the Chubb, Olin Outer Limits, Volkl Explosiv. and Dynstar BIG were some others.

I ski the Explosiv when conditions are right. CMH top sheet ;-) What a spanky wide plank! Not bad in hard snow and bumps either. ;-)

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
200 cm p30SL first year tips. They want 45 for them Undrilled one still in plastic.
IMG_20170507_155009.jpg

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
There are a pair of NEW Olin Mark IV's in the Philly Craigslist, they are the newer ones with the two tone tail. They want $40, I offered $20 and they turned it down. If someone wants them more than I do, check them out, If they were the originals or Comp IV's I would have gotten them, they had @SKI-3PO get them to me (they are in his town).

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Very nice setup there (and recreation too!). I remember those days well. I was experimenting with JetStix and finding the extra leverage fantastic for recovery in the bumps. The stuff you could get away with that would have put you on your ass otherwise! It was ushering in a whole new era in our sport. Good times for sure :thumb:

View attachment 22304
So glad you mentioned the Look toe explod-a-mat heel combo. My fist pair of (used) VR-17's had this setup and it worked well.

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Very nice setup there (and recreation too!). I remember those days well. I was experimenting with JetStix and finding the extra leverage fantastic for recovery in the bumps. The stuff you could get away with that would have put you on your ass otherwise! It was ushering in a whole new era in our sport. Good times for sure :thumb:

View attachment 22304
So glad you mentioned the Look toe explod-a-mat heel combo. My fist pair of (used) VR-17's had this setup and it worked well.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
New question for this old thread.

What year did the first metal screw-on edges come to market?

TS
Bill Talbot

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
New question for this old thread.

What year did the first metal screw-on edges come to market?
Mid 1920's

"Metal edges on wooden skis had been introduced in the mid-1920s, allowing skiers to edge more effectively. However, these edges were screwed into the wooden body of the ski and often came loose and could break. This resulted in many skiers carrying spare edges and tools to make field repairs, which was not ideal."

"1926: Austrian accountant and skier Rudolf Lettner developed the first ski with metal edges after a slide-for-life incident nearly killed him. It took him a decade to figure out how to attach the metal edges to wooden skis. “Metal edges held better on hard snow and ice, and they made skis stiffer and less likely to break,” says Lowell Skoog, a Washington ski historian and co-founder of the Washington State Ski and Snowboard Museum. “All of these factors led to greater control at higher speeds.”

TS
Bill Talbot

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
And now for something completely different!
Atomic Powder Magic from 1988. They were 115mm underfoot.

Anyone remember these, come on you western folks?!
Maybe even skied them. @Joal ?

Atomic Poder Magic 1988 115mm underfoot.jpg

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
Mid 1920's

"Metal edges on wooden skis had been introduced in the mid-1920s, allowing skiers to edge more effectively. However, these edges were screwed into the wooden body of the ski and often came loose and could break. This resulted in many skiers carrying spare edges and tools to make field repairs, which was not ideal."

"1926: Austrian accountant and skier Rudolf Lettner developed the first ski with metal edges after a slide-for-life incident nearly killed him. It took him a decade to figure out how to attach the metal edges to wooden skis. “Metal edges held better on hard snow and ice, and they made skis stiffer and less likely to break,” says Lowell Skoog, a Washington ski historian and co-founder of the Washington State Ski and Snowboard Museum. “All of these factors led to greater control at higher speeds.”
Like so....

Attachments

• Resized_20231021_125531.jpeg
    Resized_20231021_125531.jpeg
    377.8 KB · Views: 4

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
And now for something completely different!
Atomic Powder Magic from 1988. They were 115mm underfoot.

Anyone remember these, come on you western folks?!
Maybe even skied them. @Joal ?

View attachment 218423

Edit: Ooops. The Powder Magic and Powder Plus are very similar. I have the Powder Plus.

Remember, skied and still own. Yours and mine have bindings that are asymmetrically mounted to allow for a more natural (feet close together) stance. The skis are solid powder skis but apart from being wide, they are built like race skis. My first pair were 165 cm (despite me being 5' 11") and they floated fine and skied well in the trees due to their length (or lack there-of).

Powder Plus ESS VAR - IMG_20200420_173734963.jpg

Following both of these (if my memory serves) there was the Powder Cruise. My brother has a pair; I thought I had a photo. It is a cap ski.

Last edited:

Royal

UTAH
Skier
Not the Markers and probably not the ESS but it's very kind of you :)

OTOH if you know of an asymmetric Solly or Look, pls post pics
I completely Understand why not the Marker bindings. but why not the ESS VAR. I too hah some 180 powder plus and they skied great with asymetric mount. I also mounted them centered with some look Z's and they were fine too. but I do like the ESS 's ability to more for/aft easily.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I completely Understand why not the Marker bindings. but why not the ESS VAR. I too hah some 180 powder plus and they skied great with asymetric mount. I also mounted them centered with some look Z's and they were fine too. but I do like the ESS 's ability to more for/aft easily.

Have you done an asymm mount on a modern >105mm ski?

ESS depends on the numbers and the vintage. I really liked some of the 2 piece plates from that era.

TS
Bill Talbot

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
Sorry @Royal , I meant to include you in the 'western powder' search!

Sponsor