• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
TS
Lofcaudio

Lofcaudio

Getting off the lift
Skier
My sample size is tiny, I admit, but I've been to the Aspen area on a number of trips all in prime time (February and March). No lift lines...ever...and runs all to yourself. Here I am on the Big Burn at Snowmass during Spring Break last year.

17626178_10154898631015659_4205741542881844456_n.jpg

And a powder day on Elk Camp (Snowmass):

17629952_10154898630645659_6586713158716476706_n.jpg

Compared to this picture I took at the lift line to get on the Zephyr Express at Winter Park (admittedly, on December 27th):

21761426_10155472326965659_6104709610808229229_n.jpg

I have yet to find a better combination of ski terrain, weather/snow conditions, and crowds than the Aspen resorts.

TonyC

Contact me at bestsnow.net
Pass Pulled
I've had one day at Sundance, it was on a President's weekend and reasonably quiet. I suppose it could get enough traffic from Provo locals to be busy sometimes with its low lift capacity, but I suspect Sundance is deserted midweek. Sundance is probably the closest call on that list as its acreage is definitely the least.

Solitude I skied on a President's Day with 17 inches new snow and I was still skiing untracked at closing bell. That IS an elite experience in terms of low crowds and the other 5 days or so (also on weekends) I've skied Solitude, let's just say it's a very aptly named ski area IMHO. It is certainly possible that upgrades since the Deer Valley takeover might attract more people but my last day there was in 2015.

TS
Lofcaudio

Lofcaudio

Getting off the lift
Skier
I've been to Deer Valley. It's fine and definitely scores high in the Steep Groomers category (Stein's Way, Wizard, Orion all come to mind). However, if I'm in Utah, I'd much rather be at Snowbird, Alta, or Snowbasin. I don't like the disjointed nature of DV...way too much poling is required and there aren't any really long runs (which I like). Also, even though the runs aren't terribly crowded, the way the mountain is laid out, the tops of the peaks are just a madhouse as there are three (or four!) high-speed lifts spitting people out everywhere and it creates quite a bit of congestion even at a resort that supposedly limits its sale of lift tickets.

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Have you been to Whistler?

Nope, but as a passholder at snowbasin and routine visitor to Alta bird, neither 2 or 3 on your list are in the same league as big sky. Hence it's either 1 or 2.

Bigtinnie

Formerly 'sbooker' in another world.
Skier
Not very. The Aspen areas are nearly liftline proof and sectors of them have low skier density. But not nearly as low as these places more off the beaten track.

Canada: Apex, Castle Mt., Red Mt.
Montana: Discovery, Lost Trail
Idaho: Brundage
Wyoming: Targhee
Utah: Powder Mt,. Solitude, Sundance
Colorado: Sunlight, Wolf Creek

In addition to subjective observation, the relationship of estimated skier visits to ski acreage is very low. Before Sibhusky chimes in here, I'll add that Whitefish is not that far off the areas listed above, and far quieter than the Aspen areas IMHO. The Aspen areas do something like 1.4 million skier visits collectively on about 5,100 acres of ski terrain. Whitefish does about 350K visits on 3,000 acres. On my list above nearly all areas are under 200K visits, some are under 100K, and these are not small mountains either.

I can't imagine more 'uncrowded' than Snowmass or Highlands. On NYE last year we didn't line up once and had whole 150 yard wide runs completely to ourselves.
Very pumped to check out Grand Targhee this January based on this assessment.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
If we were faced with this kind of line/wait, I think I would pack my bags and leave. I have ZERO interest in mass humanity anywhere much less on a vacation

That's why so many folks around here don't do what Lofcaudio did - ski a major resort that's easy to get to between Christmas and New Year's. Busiest time of the year some places.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
I'm always caught between being proud of Whitefish and knowing that if we keep having record attendance every year, it won't be so great in the future, @TonyC .

Technically, we're still a hair under 350k at 346k. 157k of those are passholder visits, so a good chunk of those are locals.

http://www.whitefishpilot.com/article/20170411/ARTICLE/170419977

And the survey is out for 2017-18. Whitefish at #10:

It’s clear that Whitefish is in a resort’s sweet spot: still small enough to offer the intimacy that nurtures skiing’s most enduring traits, yet also growing at a pace that brings in enough cash and creative energy to upgrade the place just about every season. Yes, unassuming Whitefish does land at No. 10, bumping ski poles with the big brands, sandwiched between Beaver Creek and Steamboat. But Top 10 finishes in Service, Character, and Kid Friendliness resonate with skiers, and are testament to the resort’s small-town attitude—both on the mountain and in a down-to-earth, authentic ski town that remains as real as anywhere. And there is lots of skiing. Hellroaring Basin and North Side would feel right at home in Jackson. No need to quote locals, they know why they moved here. Here’s a visitor, who gives the ultimate visitor compliment. “This is NOT a mega-resort. No foo-foo frills, with real people. Refreshing,” says one reader. “Will definitely return.”

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I recal they used to break out the EAST in a seperate ranking..it is usually in the Spring or Summer issue..the east gets no respest.

Large Squirrel

a.k.a. guitar73
Skier
ok.....i'll bite on the east coast list (based on places i've been)

best snow
1. jay peak
2. stowe
3. smuggler's notch

best steeps
1. whiteface
2. sugarloaf
3. stowe

best bumps
1. stowe
2. sugarloaf
3. sugarbush

best trees
1. smuggler's notch
2. stowe
3. jay peak

best for intermediates
1. sunday river
2. jay peak
3. stratton

best for advanced/experts
1. whiteface
2. sugarloaf
3. stowe

most variety of terrain
1. killington
2. sugarloaf
3. jay peak

off-hill activites
1. lake placid
2. stowe
3. killington

best grooming
1. stratton
2. stowe
3. killington

best vertical (in terms of lift efficiency)
1. stowe
2. sugarloaf
3. whiteface

least crowds
1. gore mtn
2. sugarloaf
3. whiteface

best on-mtn food/lodging
1. stowe
2. jay peak
3. sugarbush

my overall favorite top 3
1. stowe
2. sugarloaf
3. jay peak
(tie 4th btwn smuggler's notch and sugarbush)

Mothertucker

Sweep Dodger
Skier
I recal they used to break out the EAST in a seperate ranking..it is usually in the Spring or Summer issue..the east gets no respest.
Ever hear anyone say, "I think I'll move out EAST and ski bum this season."? The MIDWEST is Rodney, don't get no respect, the EAST is more like Don Rickles, a hockey puck.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Good eastern list from Guitar73!

It's my family's favorite place to ski. Here we all are at Highlands (all of us, intermediates):

17424771_10154901806115659_8059895598536702227_n.jpg

Lofcaudio: you forgot best looking ski family - you're number one!

I'm big on scenery. Care to give your opinion on that? I would say Lake Louise would top my list in that regard (until I get to Europe the winter after next). I'm expecting Jackson will do it for me this winter scenery wise too (it would want to as I'm expecting it will be too much mountain for my intermediate family).

I like scenery too, but have never been to Louise/Sunshine or Telluride, but after that my favorites are:
Aspen Highlands, Jackson Hole, Arapahoe Basin, Alta, Mt. Bachelor. I think I'd add Whistler-Blackcomb if I got a little better look at it next time. In the East I'd say Wildcat, Le Massif, Cannon Mtn, Saddleback, Whiteface, Stowe.
Overall I think Aspen Highlands is my fav,
900x900px-LL-86a74f52_Copy2ofDSCN3672.jpeg

but learning to really enjoy Snowbird too.
900x900px-LL-45b034eb_CopyofDSCN2846.jpeg

peterm

Getting off the lift
Skier
Best for Families: Steamboat. They just get so many things right, plus of course great snow, and a ton of good lodging options.

Best Scenery
: Heavenly is definitely up there and comfortably trumps Targhee in my book. I've heard Homewood is at least as good but yet to visit. Agree with
TonyC that Treble Cone in NZ is stunning too.

Most Underrated: Kirkwood. The drive in is awful though, you probably shouldn't go there :)

Sponsor

Staff online