• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Posaune

sliding
Skier
@eok keep in mind that there is no rule about a given time limit for videos.
That's true, as far as I understand, in general, but in fact about two pages ago Phil made a rule specifically for Jacques alone that he was not allowed to post videos over 2 minutes long.

Jacques

Workin' It on Skis Best I Can
Skier
I don't know that @Philpug and @Tricia agree with this, but I think there would have been a lot less commentary if the video had been posted in its own thread only.

I personally find the massive storm system images and graphs in the Colorado weather thread more annoying than a video I can easily scroll past, but in both cases that's a personal issue, and I'm sure others get a lot out of them. I just stare at them cross-eyed and then hope the next person (usually Nay) will explain it in simple terms.

Anyway - perhaps this discussion should be moved to its own locked thread just to provide history, and we can get back to discussion of epic?

The video was in the video section titled as my good bye to EpicSki. That part got lost when it was moved so nobody understood the music! I needed the songs and a video length to go with them.

Jacques

Skier
So, I often enjoy Jacques' postings & videos. His home hill is the same as mine (and slowrider's, I think).

I'm curious if the "2 minute rule" for videos applies to videos uploaded to this site AND for videos on external sites that are linked to in postings. If the rule only applies to the former then I've no problem with the rule. Honestly, with free (or low cost) internet services being what they are today, I'm surprised anyone who likes to post videos doesn't use a youtube or Vimeo account, so they can link to their content. Potentially more control of your content that way, a good thing nowadays.

If the rule applies to BOTH then I'm clueless why. Seems like a really antiquated rule by today's standards.

One thing I'm well aware of is that epic and pugski do share some degree of common culture. In particular: a few people/clics tend to dominate the forums. It seems it's real important to them that they get their fair share of attention. If you are an occasional poster then you usually don't get barbed (too much). But once you start posting more frequently then the criticism (sometimes trolling) starts kicking in. My observation is this is especially so if the you're someone like Jacques that almost always projects a simple/direct, optimistic and energetic vibe in his posts - which just becomes major bait for some. Honestly, my experience is just about any web forum is like this to some degree.

Anyway, I've always been impressed how well Jacques usually defuses unfair criticism/trolling. He's just so darned positive and probably too busy enjoying his skiing to care.

Wow, that's very nice of you and more importantly very insightful. Well, I have been told and warned that I must be all serious and may not post any of my videos (which are the same as a link. (Embedded) Kinda sad, but it's their site and I am just a guest being told not to bring my ski tuning stuff into their house.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The video was in the video section titled as my good bye to EpicSki. That part got lost when it was moved so nobody understood the music! I needed the songs and a video length to go with them.
To be fair, there were several threads started about EpicSki over the past few weeks. We had asked everyone to keep their EpicSki fodder to this thread.

Jacques

Skier
@eok keep in mind that there is no rule about a given time limit for videos. @Philpug and others were talking about what kind of videos are more effective, the way I see it, and long videos are typically (but not always) boring to most.

In any case, I think things have been said earlier in this thread that we all know don't belong in this place. So, let's turn the page on this and keep having the higher talk in general. And, in this thread, let's remember the positives of Epic with an open heart.

Go back and read. I was told that I may not post any of my videos that are over 2 minutes long. So that's pretty much all of my over 1100 videos.

Maybe I can find one that short, but then it might not be relevant here. What if I told you that this guy turned me on to EpicSki?

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Jacques, looks like we are getting a consensus on your videos.....(your) videos longer than 2 minutes are not admissible to the forum.
Jacques, you are correct that Phil said that. However, (I think I can speak for him) we've been dealing with a lot in the past week and he could have used a different time element than 2 minutes, like "reasonable length". At this point, we've hashed it out enough and you need to let it go.
As you can see in later posts by Phil, there was some reasonable explanation of what was being asked of you. All in all, you need to decide if you want to use good etiquette and hang around here or not.

No one is being "harsh" and I am going to reference rule 1a from @SBrown's rule addendum HERE and envoke Rule 2. I will agree 10 and 15 minute videos let along 5 and a half hour videos are way too long...Hell, Dances with Wolves, the Extended Version was only 3:56;). Quite frankly, this is something we are learning with our videos too, make them shorter. Take a look at the stats on your videos on how long people actually stay and watch them, I would venture to say the vast majority are less than 3 minutes. Oh and ettiquitte is to post a video on one thread and not multiple ones. And yes, I moved your "Homage to EpicSki" video into this thread because we want to keep all the rememberance of Epic in one thread the best we can.

You don't have to leave but also consider your audience, if the members here want shorter videos, maybe you should consider doing shorter ones. You don't need a 5 and a half hour video on ski tuning, it can be editied down and/or broken into segments/smaller videos so someone can access what they are looking for and not have to fast forward/rewind to find it. Start Haus's video is about an hour, but many segments, And lastly, people here are friendly but they also do not want something forced on them either.

Here lies the disconnect, this is not Epic, it is not Epic 2.0..it is not TGR, Newschoolers or any other site. this is Pugski. Each site has it's own vibe and guidlelines and these are ours.

Yes, you are...as I said it is poor etiquette ot repeatedly post the same video in multiple threads repeatedly.

Let this be the end of this discussion publicly.
Any additional posts about this in public will be deleted without comment.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
According to MtnNews, 11:00 Mountain Time is the shut down time. No matter how our relationship ended with Epic, this is a very sad time for us. I cannot think of the countless people that I have met and I can truely call friends...err family because of Epic.

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
It would be hard to say "mine was the past post" as there will not be a way to verify it against other claims.

I'll bet someone makes a post, and screenshots the post time and saves it.... Why??? Because we are sometimes not right in the head.... I mean I thought of it, but it has long been determined I'm "not right" :doh:

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
According to MtnNews, 11:00 Mountain Time is the shut down time. No matter how our relationship ended with Epic, this is a very sad time for us. I cannot think of the countless people that I have met and I can truely call friends...err family because of Epic.
It was epic.
Peace-Out-Die-Cut-Sticker_43930_1_lg.png

Uncle Louie

The Original Gathermeister
Skier
It would be hard to say "mine was the past post" as there will not be a way to verify it against other claims.

I'll bet someone makes a post, and screenshots the post time and saves it.... Why??? Because we are sometimes not right in the head.... I mean I thought of it, but it has long been determined I'm "not right" :doh:

I suggested over at Epic that someone point a video camera at the screen and see what happens when the lights go out. Now no offense 53, you haven't been around all that long so we have yet to determine if you are right in the head or not. I've personally met tons here from Epic and most know I am not right in the head. Time will tell.

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I suggested over at Epic that someone point a video camera at the screen and see what happens when the lights go out. Now no offense 53, you haven't been around all that long so we have yet to determine if you are right in the head or not. I've personally met tons here from Epic and most know I am not right in the head. Time will tell.

Given time, I am sure I can prove it :beercheer:

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Well, you live in Florida . . . :snowball:

[I lived in Tampa for several years and my wife's parents still have a home in Coral Gables AND my mom winters in Ft Myers]
I do live in Florida, was fly fishing for Tarpon yesterday, dreaming about skiing today. Next week is my last Tarpon fly fishing of the season as I go to work for 11 of the next 12 weeks..... so I can pay for :Teleb: trips next winter

In a perfect world in at some point in the future, we will sell our house and buy a smaller place in a place like Park City/Deer Valley and a small place in a warm climate too, preferrably The Keys for fishing, but that is a tough sell to the Mrs.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
I do live in Florida, was fly fishing for Tarpon yesterday, dreaming about skiing today. Next week is my last Tarpon fly fishing of the season as I go to work for 11 of the next 12 weeks..... so I can pay for :Teleb: trips next winter

In a perfect world in at some point in the future, we will sell our house and buy a smaller place in a place like Park City/Deer Valley and a small place in a warm climate too, preferrably The Keys for fishing, but that is a tough sell to the Mrs.
My best "florida only" memory: Triple Tail. One of the best tasting, most obscure fish I've ever had. That and stone crab. I still miss stone crab.

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@skibob
We were Tarpon fishing (fly only) and got into a bunch of "floating" TripleTail and limited out while not even targeting them. When they show up it is hard to not invite them to dinner, YUMMY

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
I joined Epic in 2006.
I am remembering my first post on Epic was in response to an inquiry about alternatives for teaching first time skiers. I posted an in depth outline describing the steps I used to teach a direct to parallel carving lesson on 9 meter radius, 110cm skis. As I recall my post was received without a lot of enthusiasm :huh:. I had never heard of PMTS & only new of HH from his term on the PSIA D-team in the 90's.
Looking back, I think folks thought I was a troll :roflmao: .

The first thread I started was asking if people thought my 83mm Rossi B3's would be fat enough for Heli skiing in Haines AK :doh::doh::doh:!