• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I would honestly say that anything > 2min is too long. At 2 min there better be something crazy good for the payoff. This is what the internet has done to me.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
I would honestly say that anything > 2min is too long. At 2 min there better be something crazy good for the payoff. This is what the internet has done to me.

Yup, 2 minute rule should be in effect! I have a rule during my ski clinics that we will not ever stop for more than 2 minutes. If it is the middle of some world changing technical discussion I will cut the speaker off, ask them to hold their thought & ski to the next logical stopping point.
If it is GoPro footage 30-45 seconds should be max. :nono:

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
If there's content, I'm good for up to five. But endless self promoting without educating? Sorry. Posting the same thing again and again and again? No.

I can see longer stuff being posted for movement analysis, always assuming the skier is of a size to be evaluated for most of the video as opposed to the size of a period.

So, I don't think there should be firm rules other than don't waste other people's time while they watch and keep hoping there's a point.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Anyone who owns 50+ onesies and the moxie to wear one every day out gets a lifetime free pass in my book, even if he wants to post 15 minute videos of himself skiing in each one.:thumb:

Sez the guy who posts obnoxious amounts of photos.;)

PisteOff

Jeff
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Anyone who owns 50+ onesies and the moxie to wear one every day out gets a lifetime free pass in my book, even if he wants to post 15 minute videos of himself skiing in each one.:thumb:

Sez the guy who posts obnoxious amounts of photos.;)

That was 17 seconds too long......

:useless:

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
How about creating a Jacques' videos thread? He could post all the video he wants there, long non-edits, F-bombs, road conditions on the way to Bachelor, the cool kids in the terrain park, the East or West Catchlines, all of it.

Not that I will admit to having watched any of them. At all.

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Personally, I enjoy Jacques videos and his taste in music. I find it peaceful. Truthfully, though, I don't watch the whole video. Sorry, Jacques.
I'm pretty sure none of you were forced to watch it all, and probably knew what you were getting into. :shrug:

Personally, I watch enough of them to know that Jacques has the fever, he just needs more cowbell.
"I got a fever, baby, and the prescription is more cowbells!"

Jacques

Workin' It on Skis Best I Can
Skier
Wow, you guys are harsh. Maybe you all need to get some video of you all skiing and post them up and stop crying about my work.
I posted the video as a good bye to EpicSki and it got moved here.
All my videos about tuning skis etc. are full length.
If it's that big of a deal to embed a video. just let me know and I will leave.
Obviously nobody has the attention span or time here to watch my stuff and that's why one can simply stop a video and move on.
My longest ski tuning video is 5 hours and 24 minutes. I put a lot of time and work into that and everything I do.
I film others more than I get filmed for sure. I do it all for the love of the sport and to support and love those that love it.
In just my Bachelor Parks Real Laps series I have shot 172 videos for others all at no charge whatsoever. I have also shot tons for Oregon Adaptive Sports in the past, again all for free. Plus countless other videos of individual skiers. Average run time on my Jumping & Fun videos is 25 minutes each as well. Those videos as many of mine are fun to kick back and have a few beers and watch. Many find them quite entertaining.

As a matter of fact things like this have been said of my work. From YoBeat: "The most entertaining person in the crowd, besides Ben Lynch throwing snowballs at a select racers, was a man by the name of Jacque (aka Sangina.) Dawning an all blue onesie, he interviewed the Airblaster boys, while continually shifting the camera to comment on every single racer to pass by. From what I gather, this guy is a local celebrity, and he is potentially the most interesting man I have ever encountered in my travels. He tells us that LSD is like McDonalds…only do it once a month. I first questioned whether today was perhaps that trippy day for Jacque, but upon watching his youtube page Sagina1999Â (you know, like Vagina with an “s”) I realize he is indeed the most entertaining person in the world."

Anyway I put a lot of time and effort into my video work and therefore I do seek out places to share my work with others that may enjoy or get something out of it.
My YouTube channel has no monatization, so there's nothing in it for me other than to share.

IDK, but I thought this site was supposed to be friendly, but now I am beginning to wonder.

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
@Jacques. If I offended, I am sorry that was not my intention. In fact, we are heading to Bend this season and would loveto ski with you. The cowbells joke is an SNL classic!

Jacques

Skier
@Jacques. If I offended, I am sorry that was not my intention. In fact, we are heading to Bend this season and would loveto ski with you. The cowbells joke is an SNL classic!

I took no offense to your comment. Humor is good. I have always said I ski with any takers and welcome that. And yes! More cowbell!

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Wow, you guys are harsh. Maybe you all need to get some video of you all skiing and post them up and stop crying about my work.
I posted the video as a good bye to EpicSki and it got moved here.
All my videos about tuning skis etc. are full length.
If it's that big of a deal to embed a video. just let me know and I will leave.
Obviously nobody has the attention span or time here to watch my stuff and that's why one can simply stop a video and move on.
My longest ski tuning video is 5 hours and 24 minutes. I put a lot of time and work into that and everything I do.
I film others more than I get filmed for sure. I do it all for the love of the sport and to support and love those that love it.
In just my Bachelor Parks Real Laps series I have shot 172 videos for others all at no charge whatsoever. I have also shot tons for Oregon Adaptive Sports in the past, again all for free. Plus countless other videos of individual skiers. Average run time on my Jumping & Fun videos is 25 minutes each as well. Those videos as many of mine are fun to kick back and have a few beers and watch. Many find them quite entertaining.

>>>>>

Anyway I put a lot of time and effort into my video work and therefore I do seek out places to share my work with others that may enjoy or get something out of it.
My YouTube channel has no monatization, so there's nothing in it for me other than to share.

IDK, but I thought this site was supposed to be friendly, but now I am beginning to wonder.

No one is being "harsh" and I am going to reference rule 1a from @SBrown's rule addendum HERE and envoke Rule 2. I will agree 10 and 15 minute videos let along 5 and a half hour videos are way too long...Hell, Dances with Wolves, the Extended Version was only 3:56;). Quite frankly, this is something we are learning with our videos too, make them shorter. Take a look at the stats on your videos on how long people actually stay and watch them, I would venture to say the vast majority are less than 3 minutes. Oh and ettiquitte is to post a video on one thread and not multiple ones. And yes, I moved your "Homage to EpicSki" video into this thread because we want to keep all the rememberance of Epic in one thread the best we can.

You don't have to leave but also consider your audience, if the members here want shorter videos, maybe you should consider doing shorter ones. You don't need a 5 and a half hour video on ski tuning, it can be editied down and/or broken into segments/smaller videos so someone can access what they are looking for and not have to fast forward/rewind to find it. Start Haus's video is about an hour, but many segments, And lastly, people here are friendly but they also do not want something forced on them either.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Back to the topic at hand. It looks like there is no chance of the content being resurrected, no doubt a shame. If you have Unofficial Guides and would like to bring them over, we can help with that. Remember too, get your images, while it might look like they are coming over, they might still be hosted on Huddler, you need to reinstall/upload them here, see @Tricia's note in the Unofficial Guide forum.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Sorry, one more - @Jacques , I apologize. When I made my comment about video length, I really meant this in general, nothing against your videos specifically. (TBH, I don't watch most videos in the first place.) But it was as a result of a discussion about your videos, and if I were in your shoes, I would have felt hurt, too. So again, I apologize. I should not have made that comment.

Jacques

Skier
2. P&T have sole determination over who is being an ass.

That's fine as you own this site. I'm not overly sensitive, but it sure seems looking at what some folks posted about my videos were not nice and it seemed to me like I was being lynched by a small crowd just because I am a bit different than them.
I am a video guy and I communicate through videos. No one is forced to watch an embedded video anywhere so I can't understand.
Many times at Epic for example, a subject would come up in multiple threads where my answer or input was in the form of a video. So when that happened I posted my reply as the video. I truly don't see the harm in that. It seems I am being singled out by being told I can't post my videos like more than once, when the subjects may appear in multiple threads.
Now I will go to work. Take care now.

Sponsor

Staff online