• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Recall - Smith Quantum Helmet

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Smith Quantum has a clasp that is magnetic and easy to use with mittens. It appears that there is an issue with it staying closed in some cases, causing an issue with secure closure.

From the US Consumer Product Safety Commission:
The buckle on the helmet can disengage, posing a risk of head injury.

From Smith on handling the recall
http://www.smithoptics.com/us/quantumrecall

This is a helmet that was released for the 2017 lineup and released early due to demand.
Its lightweight, strong and has some new features, such as the magnetic buckle closure.
recall%2Dpicture2

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Early release AKA public beta testing.

No idea how this works but the concept sounds kinda whoa seriously? Magnets good for holding my phone case shut - not so good on a piece of safety equipment subject to all sorts of forces at the time you most need it.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Anyway props to them for doing the right thing before someone did get hurt.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
When I saw the feature of the helmet closure, I actually thought it was cool. I snapped it closed and pulled on the strap to see if it held. It did. I'm not sure how it holds up during lengthy use, so maybe its not holding up for lengthy use :huh:

Its clearly different than the magnetic closure of many other helmets, including the Pret Helmets that we are wearing on our test team.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
For anyone interested in the features of this helmet. Sport RX has a nice video on Youtube, explaining the differences between the Vantage and Quantum

jmills115

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Smith Quantum has a clasp that is magnetic and easy to use with mittens. It appears that there is an issue with it staying closed in some cases, causing an issue with secure closure.

From the US Consumer Product Safety Commission:
The buckle on the helmet can disengage, posing a risk of head injury.

From Smith on handling the recall
http://www.smithoptics.com/us/quantumrecall

This is a helmet that was released for the 2017 lineup and released early due to demand.
Its lightweight, strong and has some new features, such as the magnetic buckle closure.
recall%2Dpicture2
Any idea if the Giro Zone will be included in this? It is also magnetic but I'm not sure if it is the same clasp.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The Giro magnetic clasp is different.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
I wonder how the estimated 7k Americans and 1k Canadians that own one of these helmets is going to find out about the recall? It sounds like the magnetic buckle won't fail during normal use, only in a crash when it is too late.

It seems unlikely to me that the mainstream media will pay much attention to this (no one has been injured) and the ability of the ski industry media to reach the owners of this helmet is imo, questionable.

Of course regular Pugski posters are now informed, but bumping this thread a few times during the coming ski season might be a good idea.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
It sounds like the magnetic buckle won't fail during normal use, only in a crash when it is too late.
I actually tried the helmet on and used the buckle.
In an attempt to show the security of the buckle to a customer, I yanked on it pretty hard.
I'm surprised that they are having an issue with it.

That being said, I can't tell people to not take advantage of the recall, because there is a reason they made this announcement.

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
Hey! I've got one of those hats!

Thanks for posting.

Sponsor

Staff online