• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Real world gas milage

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
This comes up a lot in car discussions, but deserves a thread on it's own.

I'll start. My current Mazda 3 Sport (155 HP 2-L engine front wheel drive) with about 43,000 kms (~ 27,000 miles) has gotten 6.5 L/ 100 km, or 36 miles per US gallon, since new. I was seriously thinking about a 4x4 Mitsubishi, but the fuel cost swayed me to the Mazda. I use Hakka R2s and haven't gotten stuck yet.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
We all have our priorities. We drive about almost 40,000 a year on our three cars, 20K on the GSW Alltrack, 15K on the Yukon and 5K on the Miata.

Alltrack_ 28 MPG
Yukon, 17 MPG
Miata, 30 MPG

All three cars have thier purposes and none can do what the other does. I do miss the 40 MPG of the TDI for sure. Untill we get the Sprinter 4WD there is nothing that can compete with the Yukon..that has no payments. The Miata was and inexpensive tool to park the Yukon in the summer and give better MPG while having topless fun, the new one is not doing quite that and has become more of a garage queen.

UGASkiDawg

AKA David
SkiTalk Tester
Ram 1500 Ecodiesel 23.3 mpg tracked by hand over 40k miles. That's with lots of city driving. City driving ends on Tuesday when we move to Frisco :yahoo: so I'm expecting to jump to 24.5-25

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
driving a Hyundai Santa Fe 3.5L 6 speed AWD about 280 HP, at 70 it will cruise along at 25 mpg +/- . The thing has been pretty much bulletproof.

fullStack

Getting on the lift
Skier
while having topless fun

At that point I'm not worrying about MPGs, but rather just trying to keep the car out of the ditch.

Nissan Armada 5.6L V8: 12.9 (mostly city, gets around 18 on a road trip)
Subaru Outback 2.5L 4 cyl: 25.8 (mostly highway already, no road trips)

Don in Morrison

I Ski Better on Retro Day
Skier
2005 Chebby Malibubble - Rawlins to Rock Springs (into the wind); 27 mpg. Two days later, Pinedale to Rawlins (with a tailwind); 46 mpg.The rest of the trip was 30-32 mpg.

TahoeCharlie

...Major Tom...
Skier
I'm pleasantly surprised by the gas mileage I'm getting on the "16 Turbo Forester Premium Edition (2.0L and 250 hp). I reset it every 1k and it calculates 25.5 to 26.5 mpg depending on how many trips I make to Reno or CC. 80% plus of my driving is in the Tahoe Basin at under 45 mph. Drove it to Las Vagus and back last summer and got 27 at 80/85 mph for most of the trip. I expected something like 23/24 mpg because of the turbo and a prior lead foot; but it turns out I only use the Turbo (floor it) for passing on the two lane roads - and that's a blast.

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
I'm pleasantly surprised by the gas mileage I'm getting on the "16 Turbo Forester Premium Edition (2.0L and 250 hp). I reset it every 1k and it calculates 25.5 to 26.5 mpg depending on how many trips I make to Reno or CC. 80% plus of my driving is in the Tahoe Basin at under 45 mph. Drove it to Las Vagus and back last summer and got 27 at 80/85 mph for most of the trip. I expected something like 23/24 mpg because of the turbo and a prior lead foot; but it turns out I only use the Turbo (floor it) for passing on the two lane roads - and that's a blast.

Modern (twin scroll) turbos are working more than you think. They are allowing you to pull a tall gear up grades which is helping your mileage. These modern pressure cookers have an almost dead flat torque curve from at least 2k -5k. Makes for a nice driving car.

TS
F

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
This comes up a lot in car discussions, but deserves a thread on it's own.

I'll start. My current Mazda 3 Sport (155 HP 2-L engine front wheel drive) with about 43,000 kms (~ 27,000 miles) has gotten 6.5 L/ 100 km, or 36 miles per US gallon, since new. I was seriously thinking about a 4x4 Mitsubishi, but the fuel cost swayed me to the Mazda. I use Hakka R2s and haven't gotten stuck yet.
I'll add that my typical highway trip (~80% 100 kph (62.5 mph) 10 percent 90 kph (55 mph) and 10 percent 80 kph (50 mph)) I get 47 miles per US gal, if I set the cruise control at the speed limit. I've only done that a few times; time is money. Oh, and it's the 2015 model.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Modern (twin scroll) turbos are working more than you think. They are allowing you to pull a tall gear up grades which is helping your mileage. These modern pressure cookers have an almost dead flat torque curve from at least 2k -5k. Makes for a nice driving car.
Turbo lag is all but gone in most modern cars, power is linear.

Don in Morrison

I Ski Better on Retro Day
Skier
Four cylinder cars I've driven in the past have all been stones. If you came to a hill, you'd almost have to get out and push. I recently bought a Chevy Cruze with the turbo Ecotec motor, and zipped over Berthoud Pass all winter like it was no big deal, plus getting 36 mpg for the round trip to Granby Ranch. I might get to find out if it can hit 50 mpg eastbound on I-80 this summer.

Bill Miles

Old Man Groomer Zoomer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Highway mileage:
2010 Subaru Forester 2.5 Auto: 25-28 Sort of disappointing
2002 Corvette 6 speed manual: 27-30

Around town less of course, but varies a lot depending on trip length, temperature, cold starts, etc.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Highway mileage:
2010 Subaru Forester 2.5 Auto: 25-28 Sort of disappointing
2002 Corvette 6 speed manual: 27-30

Around town less of course, but varies a lot depending on trip length, temperature, cold starts, etc.

About the same as my 116HP Miata... :hail:

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
During a recent road trip my '14 F150 Crewcab 3.7l 2WD V6 (no turbo, but it is the same little fire breathing monster in the 'Stang) provided 21US mpg, typically daily driving 15-16 US mpg. Considering the size I'm not complaining as our Chrysler minivan wasn't any better.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
  • Philpug
    Notorious P.U.G.
  • Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid