• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

L&AirC

PSIA Instructor and USSA Coach
Skier
:pug:
Just picked up a pair of Evo-tuned (Swix) and the result is impressive. I think it is half the price of a carrot. It's perhaps not better than a hand job, but almost on par. Otoh it'll obly take a few minutes compared to 30 minutes of drinking Talisker and working through the diamonds.

I know I'm being immature but the highlighted part made me chuckle. ogwink

Dr. Jim Taylor

Booting up
Skier
Razor-Tune has one big design advantage. Many of the other power ski tuners are placed on the edge with the base vertical, meaning that they sit rather precariously on the sidewall and can easily slip off and grind the edge the wrong way. But the Razor-Tune sits across the base with the base facing up, providing a stable platform and a solid feel.

There are several benefits to this design. First, it is nearly impossible for the Razor-Tune to slip off and ruin an edge. Second, you don’t need a vise to hold the ski in place while using the Razor-Tune. Third, you can use the Razor-Tune in the parking lot with a cigarette lighter car adapter. And, you’ll soon be able to use the Razor-Tune anywhere with its soon-to-be-released rechargeable battery pack (imagining laying down a razor-sharp edge at the start of a second race run).

Well, I’ve never endorsed a product before, but I’m doing so here because the Razor-Tune blew me away. I decided to start on my own last year’s SL skis because I wanted to get some practice before I tried it on my daughters’ race skis. I read the directions and watched the instructional video and then I dove right in. I felt a bit awkward at first as I got a feel for the Razor-Tune. But within 15 minutes, I felt like “Chief,” the long-time World Cup technician whom I had gotten to know when I worked with Team America a few years ago. Admittedly, of course, I only felt like him, but the results were still remarkable in three ways.

First, the edges were far sharper than anything I did using a file and stone. By gosh, my girls won’t have any excuses when they race on injected snow this winter! Second, in the past, it would take me upwards of 20 minutes to sharpen a pair of skis. But with the Razor-Tune, I had a pair of skis incredibly sharp in less than five minutes. Third, it was easy to get comfortable with using the Razor-Tune and the icing on the cake was that I didn’t screw up and ruin any skis. In fact, the Razor-Tune is so easy to use, my daughters have learned how to use it.

So, if you want to get your kids’ skis razor sharp this winter, or even better, if you want your kids to get their own skis razor sharp, in much less time, then I recommend that you run to your computer and order a Razor-Tune. I promise that your spouse and children will thank you. And you’ll also thank yourself because you’ll have so much more time to devote to what really matters in your ski racing family; tuning your own skis. Kidding!

Brian Kessler

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Thank you, Dr. Jim -- I always value your insights & perspectives! Regarding Razor-Tune vs. Swix EVO: They appear to be about the same price. Do you have personal experience with the Swix EVO? Can you compare? You've given me Razor-Envy, but I have a unique situation where I have store credit at a shop that might only be able to get the Swix EVO. I am very much an amateur at hand-tuning -- not a slouch, but I like the idea of reclaiming some of my life back from the tuning cave.

Polo

Putting on skis
Skier
In all honesty, unless you are tuning race skis on a regular basis, I don't think either, is money well spent for the recreational skiing home tuner.

That is in no way meant as a slight toward recreational skiers but unless you just want the newest cool tuning gizmo, 99% of the skiers out there won't notice, or even care for that matter, if they have a uber sharp 2 degree edge or not. And, since the vast majority of home tuners never pull back the sidewall, let alone own a sidewall tool, it would make owning either of these power side edge tools even more pointless.

Brian Kessler

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
In all honesty, unless you are tuning race skis on a regular basis, I don't think either, is money well spent for the recreational skiing home tuner.

That is in no way meant as a slight toward recreational skiers but unless you just want the newest cool tuning gizmo, 99% of the skiers out there won't notice, or even care for that matter, if they have a uber sharp 2 degree edge or not. And, since the vast majority of home tuners never pull back the sidewall, let alone own a sidewall tool, it would make owning either of these power side edge tools even more pointless.
Agreed, Polo, and I don't take it as a slight. I tune my son's race skis on a regular basis. As Dr. Jim jokes, if I can reclaim some of my tuning cave time, maybe I can someday actually tune my own! :)

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

Dude, we are men.
Men need more powerful power tools. aaaarrrrggggg :D

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier

Are you related to my wife? :(

James

Out There
Instructor
I'm not sure being part of the clueless group of rec skiers, evidently "99%", means much in this discussion. (Historically from epicski it was 97%) Merely waxing your own skis probably puts you in the 5% category and it goes down quickly from there.

If one is not pulling back the sidewall it's pretty hard to actually file the edge. So, "home tuners" should be getting a sidewall plane or 7 deg file guide. Or, what's the point of filing?

Certainly any skier getting decent edge angle in a turn will notice a sharp vs dull edge on hard snow. Whether "uber sharp" vs sharp is another matter. Most of the reason for getting one involves time, not uber sharpness.

If you want to support small inventors than get the razor tune. I've met the guy onhill in a demo.
Otherwise, there's no magic to any of this. It's how to make two edges meet at a point. Some techniques or methods are personal, some voodo.

Sponsor

Staff online