• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Rant: Pants Scuff Guard Shred Rate

TS
green26

green26

Putting on skis
Skier
Just reporting back with the results of my scuff guard repair: Patagonia did an excellent job, and for free. I would have been okay with paying for it, so I'm pretty darn happy. They found the same color and material, and the only thing I question is that they patched the lower halves of the scuff guard, not the whole thing. So now there is a horizontal seam that edges can catch on. But now I know it's pretty easy to get them fixed.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Just reporting back with the results of my scuff guard repair: Patagonia did an excellent job, and for free. I would have been okay with paying for it, so I'm pretty darn happy. They found the same color and material, and the only thing I question is that they patched the lower halves of the scuff guard, not the whole thing. So now there is a horizontal seam that edges can catch on. But now I know it's pretty easy to get them fixed.

Yeah, everything I've heard is that Patagonia really stands behind their clothes. @Luvbug had a great experience, too, IIRC.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Patagonia warranty and repair is a real cornerstone of their brand. The alterations are also a VERY good deal. Top quality, low price.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Patagonia warranty and repair is a real cornerstone of their brand. The alterations are also a VERY good deal. Top quality, low price.
All good options when we have overlap in the ski pants quiver and you don't mind the time and work involved with getting the items to and from the repair location. The main reason I do most of my own work is to avoid shipping costs and downtime without the gear. I change my own oil, both cars at the same time,, because I'd rather not spend an hour out of my day dropping off, picking up, or waiting there when I could be doing other things. The closest ski shop is more than 30 minutes away, longer during rush hour. Takes me about 15 minutes to repair a gash in ski pants, 30 minutes to add ballistic nylon patches if the sewing machine is out, add 5 minutes of it's not already out. Packaging up a pair of pants, printing out shipping label, taking it to the post office, and that's the same amount of time it would take me to just repair it myself... and they are good to go right after the glue dries..

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Anybody here buy ski pants at REI and just bring them back there when the insteps get torn up... for either replacement or having REI handle the repair logistics? If I was buying new in a store that would probably be my choice of where to get things like this that we know will likely need repairs or replacement fairly often.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Anybody here buy ski pants at REI and just bring them back there when the insteps get torn up... for either replacement or having REI handle the repair logistics? If I was buying new in a store that would probably be my choice of where to get things like this that we know will likely need repairs or replacement fairly often.

This is a fine line. Me, I consider the scuffing / wear and tear there to be par for the course, not a defect, so I put up with it. Then again I have gotten three consecutive silicone collapsible cups as replacements because they kept ripping after just a few days' use. The most recent one seems to be fine.

Anyway, in my experience, they never repair, only replace.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
I agree, Monique. I've never expected a free repair, other than for something that was defective. Now having said that, we have had a lot of Patagonia gear both repaired and replaced at no cost, even when we have asked them to contact us to discuss an estimate as it's been pretty old gear. Earlier in the thread I mentioned Rainy Pass. We have used them to primarily alter a lot of garments. Most often shorten the legs on ski pants. They do a lot of work for Arcteryx and Marmot, and we have sent them a lot of Spyder stuff, too. They do a great job. Factory finish, and nothing is to complicated. They are not inexpensive, and that doesn't bother us as we keep clothing for a long time and value a job well done. Patagonia's charge to alter, and their fees, IMO just can't be beat. Normally about $50 to shorten pants.....moving panels to have articulated knees in the right place, etc.

Scuffing and wear and tear that's bad enough to require professional work {which would mean a sewing machine and the materials in our case} is something that I'd expect to pay for.

I've been a REI member for 35+ years, and I can't recall returning anything, other than a pair of Keen shoes which had the soles falling of in weeks. Clear defect, replaced on the spot. I've also never bought any REI branded ski clothing, so I can't offer any insight there.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Scuffing and wear and tear that's bad enough to require professional work {which would mean a sewing machine and the materials in our case} is something that I'd expect to pay for.

I would bet it requires a specialized sewing machine, too, or certainly heavy duty needles for some of those panels. And I bet they need frequent replacing, like drill bits for some materials. But that is all talking out my @$$ as I don't have any experience.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I worked ten years in retail management for a company that did a LOT of luggage and handbag repairs, That company handled airline damage claims for DFW and Love Field airports, Coach, Tumi, Hartmann warrantly work, etc.. I've seen quite a bit if ingenuity by the repair shop folks that I've applied, crossed over to maintaining camping, hiking, and ski gear. If you can get cordura or ballistic nylon a regular sewing machine will get through it. Leather would require an upholstery level machine. You'd have to remove the seam around the cuff to peel back the lining though so you are only sewing the patch to the outer layer. If you have thinner, lighter pants and can get the gator out of the way it could probably be done without major surgery. Patches can be made from material gained via cannibalizing an old pair of pants.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
@crgildart is right about not needing specialized sewing machine for most of the work. Just go slow.

I get my Cordura fabric from rockywoods. Very reasonable prices and fast delivery.