• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Dadskier

Getting off the lift
Skier
Me: 47, 5'9" 210lbs aggressive longtime skier.
Place: Mt Wachusett
Conditions: Spring snow, corn, ice, dirt, rocks, running water, standing water, grass, mud ... it's been in the 70s for 2 days and then poured last night. The place is looking rough.

This is the annual Ride-em and Rank-em event Mountainside puts on every year for their customers. It's invitation only and they (for the most part) pick the skis they want you to ski. Payment is we write reviews for them that they use to help with orders for next season.

I lucked out and got mostly skis I wanted to try, though they were also pretty well suited to the conditions. Not a day for carvers ...

Took 3-4 runs per ski so consider the conditions and limited terrain when reading the reviews. More of a quick impression than a full review.

Solomon QST 99 181
First ski of the day. From the looks of them I was expecting a fun ski, they were light and have a see through tip ala the Rossi 7 series.
They did not feel lively at all and felt reluctant to hook up. Edge grip was weak even in the softer snow. I got the feel of them after a couple runs and was carving turns, but they were kind of dull and disappointing.

K2 Pinnacle 95 177
I've skied this one before and had the same experience. This is a light fun and lively ski. Quick edge to edge and dances around nicely in the spring snow. Can hang at higher speeds, but gets tip flap. I think this is a great all mountain soft snow ski for lighter skiers.

Volkl 90Eight 177
This is almost tied for my favorite ski of the day. Take the fun and lively part of the Pinnacle 95 and add more beef with no top end. I had a great time making short turns in some steep spring snow and then let them rip. They held firm pulling GS turns busting through the spring crud. Great ski and goes on the list.

Armada Invictus 89Ti 179
Who knew the park kids could make a great ski! I think the soft snow was a little too much for these (or they needed to be detuned) and the edges were really hookie (is that a word?). Besides that they were fun stable and quick. I'd love to try them again in firmer conditions.

Head Monster 88 177
Burly! I picked them up and they weighed way more than anything else I handled today. A traditional race construction with lots of metal and camber. A little sluggish to start, but when you get them up to speed there's no stopping them. Definitely a ski for big strong guys who like a traditional feel.

Nordica Enforcer 93 177
Gem of the day and lived up to everything I've read. I'd like to try them out in firmer conditions before fully committing, but I'm mostly sold!. They just edged out the 90Eight for the ski of the day. Did everything the Volkl did, but a bit snappier with the narrower waist.

Anyone want to buy a Soul 7 and Watea 84 so I can start a new ski fund?

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Nice reviews, thanks !
Did you try any of the noticeably rockered skis in their longer 184 +/- offerings ?
-> Enforcer 93, Volkl 90Eight, Pinnacle 95 ?

~ Andy

TS
Dadskier

Dadskier

Getting off the lift
Skier
I wasn't able to try out different sizes in the limited time I had. Though I would loved to and I'd also like to compare the wider versions of those skis as well; the Enforcer 100 and Pinnacle 105.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Great reviews. I'd like to see more of your testing in the future.

Sponsor