• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Buffalo87

Booting up
Skier
Today was only the second day that I hit over 10,000 steps since my first surgery in January. I am very swollen and sore tonight. Keeping me awake. Not sure if I should push through in the coming days and keep trying to hit that 10,000 step mark or back off a bit. I've read here that some of you recommend walking a lot. Trying to get that quad fired up!! Happy 4th to you all!

To echo the prior posters, a little soreness and a little puffiness is to be expected. I'm 7 months post op, and when I push my knee exercise-wise, I definitely feel it. According to my OS, that's your knee capsule taking the strain that your now-atrophied quad muscle was taking on prior to the tear.

But it shouldn't be keeping you up at night.

The Last in Lin

Booting up
Skier
So everyone, just for fun, what was your reaction when your doctor told you that you had torn your quad? For me, I said something like "I what?". I was sitting in a chair with my splint off and he told me to straighten my leg. I told my leg to move and it did NOTHING and I'm thinking "OHHHHHH ....T I didn't know you could do that"! I said, "so, what do we do about it"? He said, "we operate tomorrow". My first thought was "surely there is something I have to do tomorrow that is going to require me to put this off". But then I realized that no, I didn't have a very good reason to put surgery off and said, ok, see you tomorrow.

Zukes243

Booting up
Skier
So everyone, just for fun, what was your reaction when your doctor told you that you had torn your quad? For me, I said something like "I what?". I was sitting in a chair with my splint off and he told me to straighten my leg. I told my leg to move and it did NOTHING and I'm thinking "OHHHHHH ....T I didn't know you could do that"! I said, "so, what do we do about it"? He said, "we operate tomorrow". My first thought was "surely there is something I have to do tomorrow that is going to require me to put this off". But then I realized that no, I didn't have a very good reason to put surgery off and said, ok, see you tomorrow.
I went down in the middle of a snow covered road and was unable to move. The local rescue squad came to get me and brought me to the ER. They asked me to move my leg and I could not. I thought I broke my kneecap but they said "oh no much worse....you've ripped the muscle right off your knee".

I was dumbfounded and here I am 20 weeks later....still struggling to get back to whatever normal is...at about 110 degrees ROM....tired of bring tired after walking but determined to get back on my bike by the week 26.

It happens in a split second but changes your life forever....I will never look at ice and snow in the same way....this forum is the best for giving comfort to such an isolating injury.

The Last in Lin

Booting up
Skier
I went down in the middle of a snow covered road and was unable to move. The local rescue squad came to get me and brought me to the ER. They asked me to move my leg and I could not. I thought I broke my kneecap but they said "oh no much worse....you've ripped the muscle right off your knee".

I was dumbfounded and here I am 20 weeks later....still struggling to get back to whatever normal is...at about 110 degrees ROM....tired of bring tired after walking but determined to get back on my bike by the week 26.

It happens in a split second but changes your life forever....I will never look at ice and snow in the same way....this forum is the best for giving comfort to such an isolating injury.
You should be back on the bike by week 26. What went through your mind when they told you that yo had ripped the muscle off the knee?

Zukes243

Booting up
Skier
You should be back on the bike by week 26. What went through your mind when they told you that yo had ripped the muscle off the knee?
It was surreal. How could I do damage like that in a fraction of a second with no warning? When it finally set in, I was on the crutches and realized my life had changed. I had gone from care giver to care receiver!

As days went on I dreamed about...being able to get in the shower, putting my clothes on, getting to the basement or second floor of the house, playing guitar, driving, cooking, walking the dog, teaching a spin class, riding my bike.....as I look back now I can cross many items off the list and it feels good and I know I have come a long way since February 16th!

Buffalo87

Booting up
Skier

My first thought was . . . "OK, knee surgery. Bummer but . . . just like the NFL guys! And Lindsey Vonn! Some rehab and I'll be back at it in 6 months!"

My OS pretty much killed any enthusiasm and optimism I had when she laid it out for me. I was stunned. I had heard of ACL, MCL and meniscus tears, but . . . THIS? A torn quad tendon makes an ACL repair look like an hour playing Lincoln Logs.

My OS was excited though: "Ooooh! These are rare! And fun! Can't wait to invite my medical students to watch!" .

I'm here for your entertainment doc. Where's the friggin' Vicodin?

The Last in Lin

Booting up
Skier
My first thought was . . . "OK, knee surgery. Bummer but . . . just like the NFL guys! And Lindsey Vonn! Some rehab and I'll be back at it in 6 months!"

My OS pretty much killed any enthusiasm and optimism I had when she laid it out for me. I was stunned. I had heard of ACL, MCL and meniscus tears, but . . . THIS? A torn quad tendon makes an ACL repair look like an hour playing Lincoln Logs.

My OS was excited though: "Ooooh! These are rare! And fun! Can't wait to invite my medical students to watch!" .

I'm here for your entertainment doc. Where's the friggin' Vicodin?
My OS said "full recovery in 12 weeks". Yeah, right. I had been employed in the fitness industry for 27 years in some capacity at the time and I had never heard of doing this.

Buffalo87

Booting up
Skier
My OS said "full recovery in 12 weeks". Yeah, right. I had been employed in the fitness industry for 27 years in some capacity at the time and I had never heard of doing this.

If by "full recovery" your OS meant "able to sit on the toilet without an hour of planning" . . . she's pretty close.

Judy adams

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I am just logging back in after getting settled in Boulder. Lots of progress! I am at 15 weeks post-surgery an am at 115 degrees ROM, 30 min on an upright stationary and walked 3 miles yesterday. Also, hiking some gentle slopes in the mountains. The PTs here in Boulder have some novel therapies. They routinely treat ultra-marathoners and the like (which I am not). They use "dry needling" therapy which where they put a dry needle into the tight spots of the muscle and joint. They also apply some electric pulses. Sounds painful but you just feel a tapping. No pain at all. They have progressed my ROM nicely. They also use "cupping" to move around and break down the scar tissue. Especially around the incision. She said otherwise I will get to a point where the tightness of the incision itself will stop the progression or ROM. She has a doctorate in PT form Northwestern University which is a top school so its definitely not cooky stuff. A lot of athletes train in Boulder s so they are really on top of the latest. My knee is feeling more and more like a knee every day. I am thrilled. Though I still wake up pretty stiff and achy. Happy that the worst of this nightmare is behind me. Can't wait until its a distant memory. It definitely has built character:)

Buffalo87

Booting up
Skier
Hey Judy -

Welcome to Colorado! I went to school in Boulder and my OS is a surgeon at CU-Medical, so your routine sounds pretty typical. They're very "holistic" up there. But I'm jealous of your hikes.

I didn't do any "needling" or electrical stuff - just a lot of old school biking, squats and extensions.

Keep us updated.

Beni smith

Booting up
Skier
Who knows what week I'm In now 24-25 somewhere. I think it's my breakthrough week. I finally ran up the steps today. My running is easier. I just went out for 2 bike rides this week one 14 mile bike ride and one 11mile with hills and i don't get so out of breath and my leg did not get sore. I still goto the gym 5 days a week to lift. I use one day for my bad leg only. The rest for my remaining body parts .My leg is also hurting less when jumping and going down the steps. My scar is healing and blending in with my skin. I still need to work on my quad strength and Flexibility. I'm at 138ROM and want to get to 145. They said that the muscle will come back faster they must of meant everywhere but my bad leg and it's still smaller . I still have a noticeable dent above my knee. The PT told me bike riding will really help my quadricep muscles out so I plan is to ride at least 3 times a week. I gained 20lbs now it's time for me to cut the weight to see what muscles I accumulated under this fluff. Hopefully I don't lose muscle in my bad leg. I have to do it carefully this time. I must eat my carbs,limited cardio and more weights . Before the injury I would of Ran and low carb the weight off. I'm sure that eating healthy is the key to my recovery. I finished my last PT session last week.

Zukes243

Booting up
Skier
Who knows what week I'm In now 24-25 somewhere. I think it's my breakthrough week. I finally ran up the steps today. My running is easier. I just went out for 2 bike rides this week one 14 mile bike ride and one 11mile with hills and i don't get so out of breath and my leg did not get sore. I still goto the gym 5 days a week to lift. I use one day for my bad leg only. The rest for my remaining body parts .My leg is also hurting less when jumping and going down the steps. My scar is healing and blending in with my skin. I still need to work on my quad strength and Flexibility. I'm at 138ROM and want to get to 145. They said that the muscle will come back faster they must of meant everywhere but my bad leg and it's still smaller . I still have a noticeable dent above my knee. The PT told me bike riding will really help my quadricep muscles out so I plan is to ride at least 3 times a week. I gained 20lbs now it's time for me to cut the weight to see what muscles I accumulated under this fluff. Hopefully I don't lose muscle in my bad leg. I have to do it carefully this time. I must eat my carbs,limited cardio and more weights . Before the injury I would of Ran and low carb the weight off. I'm sure that eating healthy is the key to my recovery. I finished my last PT session last week.
Great news Beni! Keep plugging...you are getting back to normal. I am not far behind you. Walking daily putting 10000 steps on the fit bit. At PT today I pedaled forward for 5 minutes. A milestone for me. Sill aiming to be riding the bike by late August.

My son looked a my knee and thought it looked "funny". I told him that is because the muscle has disappeared from the injured leg!

Beni smith

Booting up
Skier
I ran 3 miles without stopping yesterday. My leg held up excellent. I was crying Along the way . I averaged an 11.49 pace far from the 8.34 or less min mile before my injury. Today I was thinking about how far I have came and that the steps seem to be my biggest goal now I can run up but not down. Well the steps are not my biggest goal. I forgot about walking in heals. Now how in the hell am I going to practice that . . Help

Judy adams

Skier
I ran 3 miles without stopping yesterday. My leg held up excellent. I was crying Along the way . I averaged an 11.49 pace far from the 8.34 or less min mile before my injury. Today I was thinking about how far I have came and that the steps seem to be my biggest goal now I can run up but not down. Well the steps are not my biggest goal. I forgot about walking in heals. Now how in the hell am I going to practice that . . Help
Wow! congrats to you Beni! I can't wait to be able to jog. I am at 17 weeks and a solid 120 degrees.! Can walk 3 miles at a 25 minute pace and stationary bike 30 minutes no problem. My leg is feeling more normal every day

Beni smith

Booting up
Skier
Wow! congrats to you Beni! I can't wait to be able to jog. I am at 17 weeks and a solid 120 degrees.! Can walk 3 miles at a 25 minute pace and stationary bike 30 minutes no problem. My leg is feeling more normal every day
Judy when did they say you could start running

Beni smith

Booting up
Skier
Great news Beni! Keep plugging...you are getting back to normal. I am not far behind you. Walking daily putting 10000 steps on the fit bit. At PT today I pedaled forward for 5 minutes. A milestone for me. Sill aiming to be riding the bike by late August.

My son looked a my knee and thought it looked "funny". I told him that is because the muscle has disappeared from the injured leg!
I wonder when the bad leg will look like the good leg

Buffalo87

Booting up
Skier
I think mine is shaped differently for good. It works well. Just isn't shaped the same. The quad doesn't descend as low as it did leaving a gap between the bottom of it and the top of the kneecap.

Yup, that's where I'm at too. The quad is most of the way back as is my ROM. Still a little weak and stiff, but that'll come back over time.

But yeah, the quad definitely looks different and it doesn't "connect" as low as it once did. Not noticeable unless you're a doctor or, uh, me. I figure I'll just have to live with it.

Judy adams

Skier
Judy when did they say you could start running
She hasn't really said yet but I think in a few weeks. They have an Alt-G treadmill where you start out running without gravity. She is concentrating on the ROM and getting everything working properly. I am not in a huge hurry to run. I am just happy to be exercising. I think I am finally walking without a limp except when my leg is tired

Buffalo87

Booting up
Skier
For me, just getting my posture back was a process. I spent almost 2 months dragging a heavy leg brace around and its screwed with my posture and walking gait something fierce. To say nothing of my lower back.

I have to force myself sometimes to stand up straight while walking and not resort to the "lurching foot dragging" posture.

Sponsor

Staff online